• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better artist of that era-Byrne or Perez.
3 3

239 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I did lead holders for a while-def better than #2 or any pencil that needs sharpening but a 0.5 mechanical is a sharp point all the time.  

I personally found I could get a better line variation using the lead holder and a finer point if needed.

2 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I personally found I could get a better line variation using the lead holder and a finer point if needed.

yep.  

ZB03032-ZZZ-ZZZ~Zebra-Drafix-Mechanical-

ZB03026-BK-ZZZ~Zebra-M-301-Deluxe-Stainl

My two favourites.  Used them for years. Just for writing.

Edited by Ken Aldred

6 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

ZB03032-ZZZ-ZZZ~Zebra-Drafix-Mechanical-

ZB03026-BK-ZZZ~Zebra-M-301-Deluxe-Stainl

My two favourites.  Used them for years. Just for writing.

Man get a Tri-pen.  It will change your life.

The promise Byrne showed on Iron Fist, and early X-Men had eroded by his FF run. Alpha flight ?, She Hulk,  his work at DC ? He was still a good artist, but his art from that era is affordable for a reason.

Perez consistently mind blowing.

I still take early Bryne > Perez.

Just now, Landmarkcomics said:

That weak stuff is all you got? Byrne is so superior if he couldn’t draw torsos he’d still be better.

I guess he's better then by that definition.

9 minutes ago, Landmarkcomics said:

That weak stuff is all you got? Byrne is so superior if he couldn’t draw torsos he’d still be better.

Since you cant see Perez greatness I imagine you think Kirby is awful and Sal Buscema blows him away.

1 minute ago, Landmarkcomics said:

Well, you imagine that Perez is better than Byrne...

You think sal buscema is better than kirby.
Your honor the prosecution rests.

On 5/31/2020 at 7:04 PM, Dr Zen said:
On 5/31/2020 at 2:33 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Really?  I would easily take Miller over Byrne as the greatest writer/artist of that era.  By far.

Had Miller had never made Ronin I would agree with you.

Ronin was amazing.

On 6/1/2020 at 5:59 PM, William-James88 said:
On 6/1/2020 at 5:18 PM, Jeffro. said:

I'm curious how you could say that two comic artists with distinct and unique styles, again no one else was drawing like them at the time, could have no distinctive style. Genuinely curious

Well if it helps, I got acquainted with that art in 2010 amidst everything else that was. So their art did not appear to break free from the crowd. It just looked like standard proportions to me. Well done for sure, but nothing I could pick from a line up if they drew a scene I was unfamiliar with. Unlike Miller, Simonson, or the aforementioned Bolland. Not saying Miller is a better artist, he is not, but his style is more recognizable to me.

Also I thought Perez was picked for Superman to indicate to readers that the title was returning to a more classic and familiar feeling, that alone tells me that his art is not that distinctive when compared to other artists.

We were having a discussion on here years ago about Guns And Roses and how different they were than all the popular hair metal bands of their time.

And they were completely different to anyone who listened to that music at the time.

And yet a British board members said all the bands from that era sounded the same.

Personally, I could pick a Perez page, a Byrne page or a Miller panel apart from each other pretty easily.

So I guess it's all relative to what you're used to.

Show me a bunch of mid 90's art and it all looks the same to me. lol

On 6/7/2020 at 11:34 PM, kav said:

You think sal buscema is better than kirby.
Your honor the prosecution rests.

In all fairness, while I appreciate what Kirby has done for the industry, I find his art to be incredibly crude and unpolished, and for those reasons, I prefer Sal’s artwork over Kirby’s. 

6 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

In all fairness, while I appreciate what Kirby has done for the industry, I find his art to be incredibly crude and unpolished, and for those reasons, I prefer Sal’s artwork over Kirby’s. 

many people that once despised kirby like myself woke up one day and recognized his genius.  No one has ever done that with sal buscema.

1 hour ago, kav said:

many people that once despised kirby like myself woke up one day and recognized his genius.  No one has ever done that with sal buscema.

Indeed, I didn’t like Sal’s art at first, but eventually it grew on me.  I’d hardly call his work genius, but he has a clean style, and his pacing is solid.

Regarding Kirby, after 40 years of reading comics, I am still awaiting receipt of the ‘Kirby Enlightenment’ that’s been bestowed upon the masses 😏

Just now, jjonahjameson11 said:

Indeed, I didn’t like Sal’s art at first, but eventually it grew on me.  I’d hardly call his work genius, but he has a clean style, and his pacing is solid.

Regarding Kirby, after 40 years of reading comics, I am still awaiting receipt of the ‘Kirby Enlightenment’ that’s been bestowed upon the masses 😏

Many like me that once despised kirby then came to see him as a genius.
No one has ever hated sal buscema then considered him a genius.