• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better artist of that era-Byrne or Perez.
3 3

239 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Electricmastro said:

I do feel that Byrne did some interesting art for Emergency #1 (June, 1976):

8dQhBmr.jpg

Looks like he's pulling Spidey's costume out of that suitcase in the third panel. And I agree that is pretty cool art, especially considering how early in JB's career.

Edited by Dave2739
I'm drunk and can't type

7 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Byrne can only draw one male face and one female face?

:screwy:

Well, two male faces and one female face.

Wolverine and then everyone else.

7 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

yup. totally agree with kav here. maybe he has one third face for a non attractive weirdo character, but even then, not really. 

i cant believe how much i used to love byrne as a kid. perez holds up waaay better now that decades have passed. vote perez for sure.

Byrne is the better cartoony artist. His art looks like I'd expect comic art to look.

Perez' art is more lifelike and realistic (even though both are realistic artists). It's almost clinically good only Byrne's slightly more exaggerated cartoony style ads a bit more soul to the art.

I'm emotionally attached to Byrne more and prefer it but I think Perez is the 'better' artist.

What I've learned from this thread:

Byrne only draws two faces, Byrne is a 2D artist who's not very good at perspective, Byrne skimps on backgrounds.

Byrne is a cartoony artist who is also a realistic artist ( wha?)

It's a wonder the man had any success at all.

:facepalm:

A good read abt perez's coming to Marvel is "Spotlight on George Perez" a magazine I have somewhere and cannot find anywhere online not even a pic.  It details how he drew as a young man if I remember correctly with a flair pen because he 'figured thats what the perfessionals use' and how he got his first job at marvel.  There was some concern abt his backgrounds so he did this White Tiger splash to show he could do detailed backgrounds.
White Tiger by George Perez | Comic books art, Comic book artwork

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

What I've learned from this thread:

Byrne only draws two faces, Byrne is a 2D artist who's not very good at perspective, Byrne skimps on backgrounds.

Byrne is a cartoony artist who is also a realistic artist ( wha?)

It's a wonder the man had any success at all.

:facepalm:

:gossip: Success does not equal greatness.  Liefeld.  
But thx for stoppin by.

1 minute ago, kav said:

:gossip: Success does not equal greatness.  Liefeld.  
But thx for stoppin by.

I'm not getting dragged into a silly debate with one of the people who "should" know better but doesn't.

I could cherry pick some examples of Perez's work that don't shine as brightly, but I love his work so I'm not going to lower myself to denigrate him.

Not everyone hits a home run every time, you should know that.

2 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I'm not getting dragged into a silly debate with one of the people who "should" know better but doesn't.

I could cherry pick some examples of Perez's work that don't shine as brightly, but I love his work so I'm not going to lower myself to denigrate him.

Not everyone hits a home run every time, you should know that.

To be clear I am not saying byrne sucks.  I think he's great.  I just think Perez blows him outta the water.  And that it is easy to cherry pick Byrne but difficult to do so for Perez.

Just now, kav said:

To be clear I am not saying byrne sucks.  I think he's great.  I just think Perez blows him outta the water.  And that it is easy to cherry pick Byrne but difficult to do so for Perez.

I don't agree with your assessment, though the funny thing is if you asked Byrne who was better, he would say Perez.

I'll never debate someone's taste in art as that is subjective, but I will debate the technical aspects, especially if they're inaccurate.

But not with you, you should know better. Shame.

From an art perspective, I'd probably give the edge to Perez, though I definitely loved Byrne back in the day.

From a personal perspective, if the question was which one I'd rather be trapped in an elevator with, it's not even close. 

7 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I don't agree with your assessment, though the funny thing is if you asked Byrne who was better, he would say Perez.

I'll never debate someone's taste in art as that is subjective, but I will debate the technical aspects, especially if they're inaccurate.

But not with you, you should know better. Shame.

I do know better-Perez makes use of perspective.  Byrne is mostly a front view/side view guy.  Perez spends time on backgrounds.  Byrne takes shortcuts.  

3 hours ago, kav said:

Byrne, while he draws well, does not approach anything like that his panels much more basic.  Also as mentioned he tends to skimp on backgrounds.

750905.jpg

He can have minimalist tendencies.

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

750905.jpg

He can have minimalist tendencies.

wonder how much this OA sold for
Dave Kellett on Twitter: "Is your work super busy right now? Just ...

54 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Perez' art is more lifelike and realistic (even though both are realistic artists). It's almost clinically good only Byrne's slightly more exaggerated cartoony style ads a bit more soul to the art.

That's why I prefer Byrne overall.  

1 hour ago, kav said:

If you want rough examples of Byrne’s art, you look to the later points of his career.

If you want rough examples of Perez’ art, you look to the earlier points of his career.

You may be the only one who thinks one blows the other ‘outta the water’.

1 hour ago, kav said:

A good read abt perez's coming to Marvel is "Spotlight on George Perez" a magazine I have somewhere and cannot find anywhere online not even a pic.  It details how he drew as a young man if I remember correctly with a flair pen because he 'figured thats what the perfessionals use' and how he got his first job at marvel.  There was some concern abt his backgrounds so he did this White Tiger splash to show he could do detailed backgrounds.
White Tiger by George Perez | Comic books art, Comic book artwork

You can't even get that right.

It's called Focus on George Perez and he talks about how his editor at the time ( Marv Wolfman ) was constantly critiquing his work, saying he couldn't do perspective well, etc and so Perez did this Eisneresque shot that..as he put it "shut Marv up"...said with tongue in cheek.