• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Better artist of that era-Byrne or Perez.
3 3

239 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Logan510 said:

Byrne is a 2D artist who's not very good at perspective, Byrne skimps on backgrounds.

:facepalm:

Yeah, both of these are patently false.  Perspective in the opening panel of X-Men 133 and the cover of 137 looks pretty good to me, as does the backgrounding.

Also, it’s to be kept in mind that at his peak, Byrne could do 2-3 books and multiple covers a month with minimal drop off in quality.

2 minutes ago, 500Club said:

If you want rough examples of Byrne’s art, you look to the later points of his career.

If you want rough examples of Perez’ art, you look to the earlier points of his career.

You may be the only one who thinks one blows the other ‘outta the water’.

To be fair some of Perez's later work has suffered a little...and I don't hold it against him, he's had a score of health issues that affected his eyesight.

Byrne is almost 70 years old and the stuff he's doing on his X-Men fanfic is some of the best work he's done IMHO.

I find it amusing when people criticize Neal Adams too... the guy is almost 80 (!) and he goes to cons, still draws his buns off and has more energy and vibrancy than people half his age.

I wonder if one of the guys who liked my post where I mentioned the spread of ignorance in this thread knew who I was talking about? hm

1 minute ago, 500Club said:

Yeah, both of these are patently false.  Perspective in the opening panel of X-Men 133 and the cover of 137 looks pretty good to me, as does the backgrounding.

Also, it’s to be kept in mind that at his peak, Byrne could do 2-3 books and multiple covers a month with minimal drop off in quality.

I would bet money he's hardly ever read his work. I could show literally hundreds of examples of perspective shots and detailed backgrounds, but it probably wouldn't stop him from repeating some of the same fanboy mantras I've been hearing since the early 1980's.

Just now, 500Club said:

Is Neal that old?  Those blue shirts keep him looking much younger.

Sadly, fine motor and dexterity go with age, along with the eyesight you mentioned.

Neal was born June 15th 1941 so I cheated him, he's almost 79...mea culpa :)

19 minutes ago, 500Club said:

Is Neal that old?  Those blue shirts keep him looking much younger.

Sadly, fine motor and dexterity go with age, along with the eyesight you mentioned.

Neal Adams was about 18 years old when he contributed to his first published superhero comic book: the bottom panel of this page from Adventures of The Fly #4 (January 1960, Archie Comics)

H5dJeiw.jpg

33 minutes ago, 500Club said:

If you want rough examples of Perez’ art, you look to the earlier points of his career.

Not helped by having some poor inking choices that tended to soften or remove detail from his pencils, such as Vince Colletta and Mike DeCarlo.  Hard to imagine why they'd give such detailed art to an inker with an eraser obsession, such as Colletta.  I never really liked Romeo Tanghal's inking on New Teen Titans much either, though better than the previous two.  When Perez inked his own pencils, retaining all the detail, his art was on another level entirely; really superb, even then.

Edited by Ken Aldred

6 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

When Perez inked his own pencils, retaining all the detail, his art was on another level entirely; really superb, even then.

Oh, god, yeah.  Some of his own stuff he inked between NTT 37 and 44 was just gorgeous.

7 hours ago, Logan510 said:

I would bet money he's hardly ever read his work. I could show literally hundreds of examples of perspective shots and detailed backgrounds, but it probably wouldn't stop him from repeating some of the same fanboy mantras I've been hearing since the early 1980's.

You would lose this bet.  I read all his FF stuff when they came out and was a big fan.  I've read most of his X Men stuff when it came out.  The Champions was also a favorite-I still to this day wonder if the giant growing alien thing will ever contract and destroy the universe.  There's no need to be insulting-I havent insulted you.  I have my opinion, and I am allowed to have it.  That it doesnt coincide with yours is nothing to blow one's top over.

2 hours ago, kav said:

You would lose this bet.  I read all his FF stuff when they came out and was a big fan.  I've read most of his X Men stuff when it came out.  The Champions was also a favorite-I still to this day wonder if the giant growing alien thing will ever contract and destroy the universe.  There's no need to be insulting-I havent insulted you.  I have my opinion, and I am allowed to have it.  That it doesnt coincide with yours is nothing to blow one's top over.

Opinions are not always correct.

If you took what I said as insulting my apologies.

I'm insulted when people parrot misinformation, though I don't require an apology for that 2c

10 hours ago, Electricmastro said:

Neal Adams was about 18 years old when he contributed to his first published superhero comic book: the bottom panel of this page from Adventures of The Fly #4 (January 1960, Archie Comics)

H5dJeiw.jpg

What a hack.

:cloud9:

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Now i feel embarrassed to own this page and even more embarrassed that I paid money for it.

08D1B13A-4DE5-4C0B-8409-DEF3EDBFAEAC.jpeg

Very 2D and sideways.

I'll take it off your hands to help out a fellow boardie if you're that embarrassed ;)

Perez, early on in his FF/Avengers days, was helped immensely by his inkers, especially Joe Sinnott (who helped Bryne and everyone else, too!). 

But over time I'd say they are neck and neck as artists, with me preferring Perez's detailed style a little more.

7 hours ago, Logan510 said:

Opinions are not always correct.

If you took what I said as insulting my apologies.

I'm insulted when people parrot misinformation, though I don't require an apology for that 2c

Opinions are not in the realm of correct/incorrect.  If I say beets are gross and someone else likes them, neither of us is 'correct'.  

Edited by kav

4 minutes ago, kav said:

Opinions are not in the realm of correct/incorrect.  If I say beets are gross and someone else likes them, neither of us is 'correct'.  
As far as insulting, facepalm is usually considered insulting as it suggests the person is woefully dumb.  Fanboy is also generally not considered a compliment.

Uninformed opinions can be incorrect. Your analogy doesn't hold water, we're not discussing if beets are gross, you're spouting incorrect information on technical aspects of his work.

I'm not going to provide examples because I'm about done caring anymore to discuss this with you.

Have a nice day. :)