• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art Day - Murphy Anderson Hawkman

14 posts in this topic

This is awesome!  And timely.  I am just reading Venditti and Hitch's Hawkman trade from the past couple years.  Just got through volume 1 and am really excited in how they're reconciling Hawkman's sometimes opaque history.  Coincidentally made a purchase request for one of Hitch's covers ;)

7 hours ago, Mami111 said:

by this one artist named vince low.. can visit his website to see amazing artwork https://vincelow.com.my/

Your comment is textbook thread hi-jack. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt by "asking" instead of "assuming" your answer to: are you his rep or otherwise benefiting directly and financially by his work selling?

3 minutes ago, vodou said:

Your comment is textbook thread hi-jack. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt by "asking" instead of "assuming" your answer to: are you his rep or otherwise benefiting directly and financially by his work selling?

Considering that he has done this multiple times, I don't think he gets the benefit of the doubt 

Malvin 

16 minutes ago, malvin said:

Considering that he has done this multiple times, I don't think he gets the benefit of the doubt

@comix4fun taught me that no matter how much of a DB "somebody" ( lol ) may appear to be "in the moment"...it's just slightly possible in an infinite multiverse that person might not be 100% DB at all times (even when there is historical evidence to further support that judgement too!) I still have my doubts, but took the lesson to heart nonetheless ;) and continue to allow for that benefit business...though not everyone ( lol ) extends the same back to me :)

It's Ron's thread and, imo, his choice to report the post or not to Mods...

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Thread hi-jacking - not cool  Mami111  (tsk)   Start your own thread please...

On 5/29/2020 at 10:12 AM, rsonenthal said:

I’ve always been a fan of keeping a story together.  But, I totally understand the other perspective. It’s expensive and if all stories were kept together a lot of people would never be able to own an example from an artist or comic that is meaningful to them.  Still, when I have a chance to find a complete story that is a great read by a great artist, and I can swing it – I’m going to do what I can to make it happen.  This is one of those times.

Hawkman has a long and storied history, first appearing in 1940, later a founding member of the Justice Society of America and was an extremely popular character throughout the 40’s and 50’s. He faded away with the balance of the Golden Age heroes, only to be revived in 1961 by Gardner Fox and Joe Kubert (in the Brave and the Bold #34) as part of the DC Silver Age reboot. The Silver Age Hawkman joined the Justice League in Issue #31. His own series ran for a few years, lasting through issue #27, where he combined with the Atom.  Sadly, Atom and the Hawkman only lasted another year or so before being cancelled.

The Silver Age solo Hawkman series was initially written by Gardner Fox and the art chores were handled by the incomparable Murphy Anderson through issue 21 (after that Richard Dillin took over as penciler). As with any run, some books are better than others. When I saw issue #12 come up for auction – a complete book no less – I knew I had to make a run at it.

It's a great story.  Hawkman and Hawkgirl find themselves trying to stop a war in between two ancient warlords from being refought on their home planet of Thanagar.  Spoiler alert – they stop the bad guys and prevent the war.  It’s a fun adventure with a lot of action, lots of great pages of Hawkman and Hawkgirl and three nice title splashes (back then the comics had chapters, so there were multiple title splashes in each book). 

So, for your reading pleasure (and I suggest reading the story as well as appreciating the art) is the complete Hawkman #12, with artwork by Murphy Anderson.   

The link:  http://cafurl.com?i=24712

As always, feel free to look around and see if anything else looks interesting.

Ron

Hawkman_12_1.jpg

wow, this is OUTSTANDING! Of all the Hawkman stories to have in complete form, you picked A DOOZY! Just phenomenal artwork throughout. And the splashes (drool!). 

It's great to see all of this Murphy Anderson Hawkman art surface.  Kudos to Murphy for having the foresight to save it.  I wonder whether he asked for it back or whether he just took it knowing its fate had he not.

I've always thought that he was one of the most, if not THE most underused artist of the Silver Age - his pencil art was spectacular - much too good to be relegated to just inking chores in a lot of cases.

Anyone know exactly how much of his Silver Age art he had?

Edited by pemart1966