• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] 10% off - Power Comics 1, 3, and 4 - LB Cole Classics
1 1

17 posts in this topic

No probies or HOSers.  First :takeit:in thread wins over any PM discussions or takes.  US only (no international), payment via PayPal or Zelle, checks okay too if you don't mind waiting for it to clear before I ship.  No returns.  Thanks for looking. 

Edit: 10% off listed prices on #1 and #4

Power Comics #1 CGC 2.5 OW/W pages - note: cover detached - LB Cole cover - featured on cover of Gerber Photo Journal

$750 shipped

Power1f25.thumb.jpg.66c1ea8b612b51764bb0e5c99404fbc2.jpg

Power1b25.thumb.jpg.33938d3779ff0d28f1b4d9fd02bfce46.jpg

Edited by RedGiant

Power Comics #4 CGC 4.0 OW/W pages - LB Cole cover - last issue, already sold my highest graded 9.0 pedigree copy, but here is a nice, more affordable copy - red really pops, other than the water stain along the right side this is a great example - note: there are scratches on the surface of the slab

$825 shipped

Power4f40.thumb.jpg.8b8abf0abcc2e11fec2da2d25ed6cb50.jpg

Power4b40.thumb.jpg.69d1a2af488a0f1d21f5fe642da135f8.jpg

Edited by RedGiant

Now that it's sold, it's time to drop shade #2...

Every time I see that Power 3, I find it so amusing that Cole would put something on it so out of place.

That ultra racist asian depiction I know is part of the times where they demonized them because of the war, but it is so nuts how the non-modeled style of it looks just stuck on. The fact that it's so cartoony in style when compared to the others is only magnified when the figures front teeth looks like it was replaced by popsicle sticks. The ginormous bow tie is just the icing on the cake. The most fascinating aspect of this is that even with this odd campy placement the composition is STILL in balance. It's almost like someone bet him that he couldn't do it and he won.

O.o

6 minutes ago, Wally's Comics said:

Every time I see that Power 3, I find it so amusing that Cole would put something on it so out of place.

That ultra racist asian depiction I know is part of the times where they demonized them because of the war, but it is so nuts how the non-modeled style of it looks just stuck on. The fact that it's so cartoony in style when compared to the others is only magnified when the figures front teeth looks like it was replaced by popsicle sticks. The ginormous bow tie is just the icing on the cake. The most fascinating aspect of this is that even with this odd campy placement the composition is STILL in balance. It's almost like someone bet him that he couldn't do it and he won.

O.o

Personally, I don't see (or get) any of that.

A great cover in every way is what I see.

I tend to agree with Wally. 

I don't think it takes away from a spectacular cover, but compared to everyone else that one image is cartoonish and out of place. 

Still a great book I would love to own. 

22 minutes ago, Wally's Comics said:

O.o

Never noticed it before, but now that you brought it up its hard not to focus on that one face.

Just now, KCOComics said:

I tend to agree with Wally. 

I don't think it takes away from a spectacular cover, but compared to everyone else that one image is cartoonish and out of place. 

Still a great book I would love to own. 

oh, I'm not saying it's not a classic. Just a different kind of classic to me.

It's almost like if someone snuck a Charlie Brown jetting out of the back of Mona Lisa's head type of classic.

26 minutes ago, Wally's Comics said:

That ultra racist asian depiction I know is part of the times where they demonized them because of the war

That’s exactly why it’s there and the way it is.  It’s a racist cartoon caricature.

Anyway, I am a Huge Fan of LB. And apologies to the OP for the light derailment.

One last thing though there is another classic in Power 1 (if you want to have some real fun, try to count how many different points of perspective is in that background, I double dog dare you!)
funny thing is again, IT WORKS! I bet there were more than a few pop artist of the 60's that used this as a springboard for their style. Great stuff!

11 hours ago, Wally's Comics said:

Anyway, I am a Huge Fan of LB. And apologies to the OP for the light derailment.

One last thing though there is another classic in Power 1 (if you want to have some real fun, try to count how many different points of perspective is in that background, I double dog dare you!)
funny thing is again, IT WORKS! I bet there were more than a few pop artist of the 60's that used this as a springboard for their style. Great stuff!

Edited by path4play