• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Genuine or fake Stan Lee signature and sketch

14 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

This is my first post in here. I have as a hobby collected autographs since I was a kid - like many kids do - and have always enjoyed it.

It is first now, as I want to sell an autograph and accompanying sketch, that I have had som trouble:

I bought a supposed Stan Lee autograph and  sketch (i know he wasn't the spiderman artist, but it seems he ever so often did a little spidey sketch) via ebay. It didn't have a CoA but it came with a photo of the seller, with Stan Lee and the signature. Now that I want to sell it, I contacted https://www.autographcoa.com/ to see if I could get a CoA and they said it wasn't a genuine autograph.

Does anybody have any advice? Do you guys think it's authentic?

Thanks a bunch!

Phillip

IMG_6344.JPG

IMG_8250.JPG

It doesn't look legit to me either as it is lacking some consistency.  What was the time frame of this signing?  His signatures were awful in his later years so it can be difficult to tell depending on when it was supposed to have been signed.  PSA also does an online auto verification although there is some debate on how accurate it really is.

Maybe, maybe not IMO

I have thoroughly studied Stan and Steve Ditko's signatures throughout the years and I am almost certain this is not any good. The "s" is far too enclosed within itself, and the double "e" at the end is a wretched mockery of a forgery. 

Of course, "This above all: to thine own self be true" But if it were me I would say a certain no.

But once again, that is just my own opinion, I could be wrong.

Hopefully it turns out well for you at the end, and I hope you the best with them/

Edited by Aliens

Here is a fun case study.   All 3 of these are legit Stan Lee signatures.  I personally got them myself at 3 Cons, in the span of 5 years.  You can see the variation, as all 3 appear to be different from the each other, especially the 'S'.   Part of it may have been his age, what day of the Convention it was, as well as the time of day (the Iron Man one is a complete mess, it was towards the end of his Convention appearances, and you can tell he was running out of steam, I felt kind of bad after that last one, but another story for another time).  Just a lot to consider when looking at a signature from Stan. 

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

11 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I have personally gotten 3 Stan Lee Signatures over the course of 5 years, and not one looks the same as the others.   At this point, I think his signature has been done so many times, with so many inconsistencies, it's a crapshoot.

I agree.  His signatures, especially those closer to the end of his life, look like he was having a seizure or someone was randomly holding his hand and pushing it.

If you really want to sell it then send it to one of those auction houses that sell anything with writing on it (I do not condone this) or send it in to get 3rd party graded by PSA or some other verification company. 

This is why the CGC Signature Series is so valuable and I can never understand why people are against the idea of having witnessed signatures only getting yellow labels.

Honestly -- and regrettably --  Stan Lee's signature was so variable, and there is so much volume, both real and fake, that determining the authenticity of any given instance, especially without provenance, is basically the same as reading tea leaves for divination.