• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sandman 8 Variant signed worth slabbing?

40 posts in this topic

As a buyer, I would pay more for a CGC green label 9.4 with a signature than a raw book with a signature described as 9.4.

There's nothing that can be done about signatures from before CGC existed.  If they're on the front cover, they get a green label. But, a raw signed book described as "near mint" could just as easily be 8.0 (and often is), while a CGC 9.4 green label is a book in 9.4 condition with a signature.

Big difference. 

Yes, I do put my money where my mouth is... 

0631972006_1200.jpg

17 minutes ago, valiantman said:

As a buyer, I would pay more for a CGC green label 9.4 with a signature than a raw book with a signature described as 9.4.

There's nothing that can be done about signatures from before CGC existed.  If they're on the front cover, they get a green label. But, a raw signed book described as "near mint" could just as easily be 8.0 (and often is), while a CGC 9.4 green label is a book in 9.4 condition with a signature.

Big difference. 

I'd say that applies for raw books in general. I never buy a raw book that claims it's higher than 9.2 and expects me to pay premium. 

9 minutes ago, William-James88 said:
28 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Big difference. 

I'd say that applies for raw books in general. I never buy a raw book that claims it's higher than 9.2 and expects me to pay premium.

I'm the same.  I don't have many signature books, and even fewer green label signature books, but if the seller expects me to believe the book is legit (and worth $100+) it needs to be in a CGC green label slab and I'll judge the signature for myself.

Here's another CGC green label that doesn't bother me... and I wouldn't pay anything like the same price if it was raw.

Jerry Siegel died before CGC existed.

0784015023_1200.jpg

Depending upon how clean the sig is and where it is located, I would put my own money on Green Label getting more from a buyer than raw, especially if it is 9.4 - up. 

16 hours ago, spreads said:

Are you not familiar with this comic?

The OP doesn't need to post pics in the PGM forum threads.  This is a very rare book, signed by Gaiman makes it that much more special.  The buyers (whom I would be one of) won't care that it's green label.

Grade matters.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Grade matters.

Of course it matters, but this is not a silver age book that requires PGM Books comments.  Super rare book, extremely in demand, signed by one of the best fiction writers over the last year; unless this book ends up a 7.5 slabbing it will only increase its value over selling it raw.  You don't need to throw up a NM 98 in the PGM thread to determine whether you should slab it or not unless you know absolutely nothing about comics.   The OP even said he had it stored in Mylar, if he knew back then what the book was and how special it is, I'm guessing it's probably a 9.4-9.8 candidate. 

Edited by spreads

3 minutes ago, spreads said:

Of course it matters, but this is not a silver age book that requires PGM Books comments.  Super rare book, extremely in demand, signed by one of the best fiction writers over the last year; unless this book ends up a 7.5 slabbing it will only increase its value over selling it raw.  You don't need to throw up a NM 98 in the PGM thread to determine whether you should slab it or not unless you know absolutely nothing about comics.   The OP even said he had it stored in Mylar, if he knew back then what the book was and how special it is, I'm guessing it's probably a 9.4-9.8 candidate. 

Yeah, the hassle of getting a guesstimate of the grade is totally worth overlooking...

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Yeah, the hassle of getting a guesstimate of the grade is totally worth overlooking...

Do you even know how rare the book is the OP is talking about?  Context of this thread.  He asked if he should slab this comic that will get a green label and everyone that's familiar with this book has said absolutely 100%.  The OP even said the book looks fantastic, in the 1% chance it comes back a 7.5, then submitting the book to CGC was a mistake.  Taking the comic out of its preserved Mylar, isn't worth the risk of handling and potentially damaging it from a 9.8 to a 9.4.  What benefit will that provide by adding these scans to the PGM forum?  For a bunch of commenters to tell him the book is a 9.4, 9.2, 9.6,9.8???  He's going to slab the book anyway!

Edited by spreads

3 minutes ago, spreads said:

Do you even know how rare the book is the OP is talking about?  Context of this thread.  He asked if he should slab this comic that will get a green label and everyone that's familiar with this book has said absolutely 100%.  The OP even said the book looks fantastic, in the 1% chance it comes back a 7.5, then submitting the book to CGC was a mistake.  Taking the comic out of its preserved Mylar, isn't worth the risk of handling and potentially damaging it from a 9.8 to a 9.4.  What benefit will that provide by adding these scans to the PGM forum?  For a bunch of commenters to tell him the book is a 9.4, 9.2, 9.6,9.8???  He's going to slab the book anyway!

Lol okay.

18 hours ago, valiantman said:

Big difference. 

Yes, I do put my money where my mouth is... 

0631972006_1200.jpg

I have a Bone #1 at CGC right now, has a stupid retail price sticker on the cover (very commonly found in copies that made their way to Canada).  I'm using their removal service, they told me they could take it off....we'll see what happens, I figure it's best to pay them to do it professionally.  It's a nice book, I'll post a scan in 2022 when I get it back. 

On 6/2/2020 at 10:22 AM, spreads said:

I have a Bone #1 at CGC right now, has a stupid retail price sticker on the cover (very commonly found in copies that made their way to Canada).  I'm using their removal service, they told me they could take it off....we'll see what happens, I figure it's best to pay them to do it professionally.  It's a nice book, I'll post a scan in 2022 when I get it back. 

:cloud9:  To think this book was lying in a bin of indy comics without a board and price sticker attached to the cover.  

IMG-5957.jpg