• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's up with vintage Godzilla Movies Now Streaming?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

For the life of me I can't find any that are dubbed that are streamed. I don't think you can buy them and switch it to dubbed either.  Anyone know why this is? Please don't say undoubted is how they are suppose to be watched either! :roflmao:

Edited by Xenosmilus

I think a lot of this boils down to the rights to the individual films have pretty much all reverted to Toho.  They have become very activist about the films being shown in their "original versions."  (In many cases the US distributors made alterations beyond just dubbing the films.)  Also, in some cases Toho does not necessarily own the audio from the English dubs.  I personally know nothing about streaming, but if it's a situation where only one audio track can be included, I can definitely see Toho defaulting to the Japanese version due to their current corporate philosophy.  I believe Criterion recently released a set of the first 15 Godzilla films, and only a few included an English dub option, at the insistence of Toho.

6 hours ago, Marshall Crist said:

I think a lot of this boils down to the rights to the individual films have pretty much all reverted to Toho.  They have become very activist about the films being shown in their "original versions."  (In many cases the US distributors made alterations beyond just dubbing the films.)  Also, in some cases Toho does not necessarily own the audio from the English dubs.  I personally know nothing about streaming, but if it's a situation where only one audio track can be included, I can definitely see Toho defaulting to the Japanese version due to their current corporate philosophy.  I believe Criterion recently released a set of the first 15 Godzilla films, and only a few included an English dub option, at the insistence of Toho.

I can understand Toho's point on the editing aspect however the dubbing is a different issue. I like watching them out of nostalgia so if they revert back to the original Japanese dialogue I won't be able to have that experience anymore.  The dubbing was almost comical even back in the 70's/80's! It's a good point about the licensing of the dubbing though.  I hadn't thought or realized that might be an issue,  

Edited by Xenosmilus

Now, where there is an English edition is where they took Godzilla (1954) and made the American version as Godzila, King of the Monsters (1956). The latter is in English.

godzilla03.JPG.ba5565c6cf17b54e089386f653436906.JPG

godzilla04.JPG.9ae8492dc2fecb9788213bd6c3b1d1c9.JPG