• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these any good? Invisible comic backing boards?
1 1

20 posts in this topic

These caught my eye and are fairly new as it seems. I haven't seen them before but now I am very interested. Does anyone think that these are a good idea?? I would love to see the back of my comics and with these that is possible. But are cardboard backings better? Thoughts?

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/8360/bfont-color1a5276invisiboardbfontbrfont-colorredcrystal-clearfont-bdellsilver-ageb-backingsbr-archival-font-colorredindefinite-storagefont

They been around for awhile now. 4 years at least. Must of never caught on. If their claims are true they are better like mylar is better than a regular bag. Never used them and not crazy about 80 bucks for a pack of boards. Any cheaper versions out there then would give them a try maybe. Someone on here must have used them. 

11 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

No one displays the back of a comic. That and the number of wraparound covers is just too few for these to ever make much sense.

Wow. You don't want to see the back cover of a book you might buy?  These eliminate the need to take the book out of the bag, sparing much handling.

With that said, I've never tried them myself and would worry about the extra weight if any. One board might not affect the weight but will 250 in a long box?

20 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Wow. You don't want to see the back cover of a book you might buy?  These eliminate the need to take the book out of the bag, sparing much handling.

I'd love that. But that means it's more for the dealer to spend money on these and not me.

Edited by William-James88

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

With that said, I've never tried them myself and would worry about the extra weight if any. One board might not affect the weight but will 250 in a long box?

I do but I also want to handle a book before I buy it, especially one worth a lot of money. I am not gonna trust anyone to say there isn't restoration, a missin coupon, etc. I always ask to handle and if they decline, I don't buy. So these plastic boards really serve no purpose. If I am buying dollar bin fodder and inexpensive stuff, I don't really care to examine every book nor even the back. Perhaps that is not what most do, but it's how I roll :)

I received one of these once with a comic I bought off ebay. I found it to be pretty flimsy, much less sturdy than a single half or full back. The clarity also doesn't allow for a great view of the back cover either. Interesting idea but not a worthwhile investment. 

front.thumb.JPG.8ecfdc1138e8fc88a6030c5db1fa81fe.JPGback.thumb.JPG.e3b2815ed1ba3d154716eba207ad6d9a.JPG

They're completely clear, you can just barely see the board's edge halfway between bag edge and comic.  It's nice and stiff.  They are pricey but Mylars once were too.

Bags Unlimited should make free samples available.  I like them enough that if they were discontinued, I'd consider getting them made myself.

2 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

I've used theirs before, they're pretty good 

Are you able to address the concerns mentioned above, specifically sturdiness and weight compared to traditional backer boards?

11 minutes ago, steveinthecity said:

Are you able to address the concerns mentioned above, specifically sturdiness and weight compared to traditional backer boards?

They're sturdier than regular backing boards imo

They do weigh more than a regular board....not a ton more but, enough that you can notice it in hand

Dave Kapelka used these on his more expensive books. I have around twenty or so I use for keeping my expensive raw books safe until I get them graded. They work great, are super sturdy but weigh a ton. Even a short box of these would be difficult to handle. 

My concern would be the archival quality of the item. 

It's made of glycol-modified polyethylene terephthalate, commonly known as PETG. 

I'm pretty sure that's the same product used by CGC's main competitor. 

I've never personally handled the product, but it sounds worth a try. 

Like Joey said above, another concern would be the weight of the product. 

I don't see anything wrong with buying a small quantity to try. Just watch the type/size of bag you use. 

Keep us posted!