• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is your local comic store open?
1 1

47 posts in this topic

I've been able to shop inside one of my LCS for a while now, and my brother has rejoined the "Magic: the Gathering" horde. This LCS doesn't host events for "MTG" or anything but they DO sell the cards. So since I can't go to comic-con this year, I pick up my brother and we have gone a shopping to support the nerd effort! :insane:

My brother has spent more on me in the past 2 weeks in the name of the nerd effort than ever lol and it's also my birthday soon. But, more importantly it's a time to bond, as he is the one I go to con's with :whee: 

There have been some cool things at the LCS, but they seem to have left "most of it" up for sale online, but they did have a 31% off back issues this weekend. I bought Shazam #25 1st app marked down from $60, for $45 :) silly crazy 8% sales tax!

Anyway (thumbsu I have bought Ms Marvel #1 slab in 9.2 for full price last week, that he LCS owner brought in just for me and my brother to come. Turned out well, as it was a rainy Sunday and not much foot traffic coming in ......

As @Crops068 can testify, another LCS a bit further away though, is having a Roy Thomas signing in 2 weeks :banana: at Roy Thomas request! :headbang: 

He misses the circuit!!!! CGC facilitator won't be there, but non the less, it will be enjoyable and make a fun Saturday to talk shop and get something signed on the splash page! ^^ @batman_fan

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've been able to shop inside one of my LCS for a while now, and my brother has rejoined the "Magic: the Gathering" horde. This LCS doesn't host events for "MTG" or anything but they DO sell the cards. So since I can't go to comic-con this year, I pick up my brother and we have gone a shopping to support the nerd effort! :insane:

My brother has spent more on me in the past 2 weeks in the name of the nerd effort than ever lol and it's also my birthday soon. But, more importantly it's a time to bond, as he is the one I go to con's with :whee: 

There have been some cool things at the LCS, but they seem to have left "most of it" up for sale online, but they did have a 31% off back issues this weekend. I bought Shazam #25 1st app marked down from $60, for $45 :) silly crazy 8% sales tax!

Anyway (thumbsu I have bought Ms Marvel #1 slab in 9.2 for full price last week, that he LCS owner brought in just for me and my brother to come. Turned out well, as it was a rainy Sunday and not much foot traffic coming in ......

As @Crops068 can testify, another LCS a bit further away though, is having a Roy Thomas signing in 2 weeks :banana: at Roy Thomas request! :headbang: 

He misses the circuit!!!! CGC facilitator won't be there, but non the less, it will be enjoyable and make a fun Saturday to talk shop and get something signed on the splash page! ^^ @batman_fan

The LCS I go to here is open, but I have really lost interest in them.  They are not friendly AT ALL.  So I have really been enjoying the FB sales from the one with the RT signing.  I am looking forward to that trip and meeting Mr. Thomas.

24 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

The LCS I go to here is open, but I have really lost interest in them.  They are not friendly AT ALL. 

+1 probably due to the stress of whether his landlord will apply for the Canada fed rent rebate to cover 75% of his monthly lease effective June 1, 2020. If not, the LCS will likely run out of cash flow and be forced to close in a few months with no comicons to dump overstock at. Other LCS is extending his 1/2 price bin stock sale from 1 week to 3 weeks to cover his full monthly rent.

34 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Love the 1976 set. That was a great comic year for me, I was eleven. Make sure you read the Liberty Legion book! Loved it and the Two In One annual.

1976 was my real first year of collecting comics in Versailles, IN at age 12.  We would drive to Osgood, IN and go to the drugstore and I would buy comics off the stand.  I always spent all my money, sometimes scoring a Spiderman, Fantastic Four, or Hulk but at times being stuck buying this goofy "X-Men" title.  It all depended on what was left on the stands when I got there.

The shops I frequent from Dayton, OH down through Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky have been open.  Some have revised hours and all are limiting the amount of people who are in the store at one time.  Games are not going on until further notice.  It was good to get back in the stores and shoot the breeze with the owners and employees.  I feel very fortunate to have great stores in the area.

29 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Our store in Boulder is awesome.  I have told the story before but my son was real young when we 1st started going and always used his money to buy South Park figures out of the gumball machine.  He had almost all of them but just couldn't get the last one.  The owner asked him on one visit if he got the one he needed and he said no so the owner came over, opened the machine and dug through it to find the one he needed and give it to him.  

Yeah, back home the couple shops I went to were like this.  Haven't found one like this here yet.  Duncanville is pretty close, the FB sale videos have a sort of "community" feel to them.  Have seen a couple times where the owner of the shop has called out certain people when he is about to announce a random book because he knows that person is looking for it.  I've gotten that call out a couple times, mainly because of my Thanos appearance spreadsheet.

2 minutes ago, mec3437 said:

The shops I frequent from Dayton, OH down through Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky have been open.  Some have revised hours and all are limiting the amount of people who are in the store at one time.  Games are not going on until further notice.  It was good to get back in the stores and shoot the breeze with the owners and employees.  I feel very fortunate to have great stores in the area.

My corp HQ is in Toledo.  One of my good buddies is from Dayton. I feel for you sir. ;)

37 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:
1 hour ago, Crops068 said:

The LCS I go to here is open, but I have really lost interest in them.  They are not friendly AT ALL. 

+1 probably due to the stress of whether his landlord will apply for the Canada fed rent rebate to cover 75% of his monthly lease effective June 1, 2020. If not, the LCS will likely run out of cash flow and be forced to close in a few months with no comicons to dump overstock at. Other LCS is extending his 1/2 price bin stock sale from 1 week to 3 weeks to cover his full monthly rent.

Oh they have not been friendly ever since a couple staff members left a while back, like Sept-ish last year.  So all this has just helped me with the choice to not frequent them as often.

From what I can tell the store I would go to comic world in Huntington WV is not open despite being allowed to in our state.

when I go in to work on Tuesday I will check but I just don’t believe it is. For those that saw the pics it’s the same store that has been open since 1980

7 hours ago, romanheart said:

Very little open. The fact that clinics, dentists, and optometrists are closed irks me the most.

I need my crown!  had emergency root canal at endodontist but you have 4 weeks to get crown!  I need lost filling replaced!  I need cortisone inj shoulder!!!!  I need new lenses  so i can read small print!!!
Help me Obi Wan Kenobi!!!

Edited by kav