• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is your local comic store open?
1 1

47 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, kav said:

I need my crown!  had emergency root canal at endodontist but you have 4 weeks to get crown!  I need lost filling replaced!  I need cortisone inj shoulder!!!!  I need new lenses  so i can read small print!!!
Help me Obi Wan Kenobi!!!

The med clinic is the worst for me. They could have kept them open and automatically tested everyone through the door. The health system is not overrun here.

One opened last week for curbside pick-up only. The other one, not sure. The street it’s on might have got hit by the riots/looters. Was watching the coverage last night and right in the area it is, all the stores were broken in and either trashed or looted. I heard the vintage vinyl store a block away was trashed and looted. 

I was up most of the night last night. Sirens, helicopters, and what sounded like explosions. Probably fireworks. Smelled smokey this morning. 

First the virus and now Anarchy. Scary times...

Not sure about all of our shops, but the one I frequent opened back up a couple of weeks ago. Limited hours, you have to wear masks (they'll provide if you don't have one), limit on number of people in the store, etc. I'm just glad they're still in business!

20 hours ago, Robot Man said:

One opened last week for curbside pick-up only. The other one, not sure. The street it’s on might have got hit by the riots/looters. Was watching the coverage last night and right in the area it is, all the stores were broken in and either trashed or looted. I heard the vintage vinyl store a block away was trashed and looted. 

I was up most of the night last night. Sirens, helicopters, and what sounded like explosions. Probably fireworks. Smelled smokey this morning. 

Comic shops around the country damaged by riots so far include:

Golden Apple (LA),  Hi De Hi (LA),  JapanLA (LA),  Graham Crackers (Chicago),  Challengers Comics (Chicago),  Top Cut (Illinois),  Laughing Ogre (Columbus),  Vault of Midnight (Grand Rapids),  Dream Haven (Minneapolis),  Crazy Fred's (La Mesa). 

Uncle Hugo's (Minneapolis) -- one of the nation's major science-fiction bookshops, was completely burnt to the ground.

28 minutes ago, Bookery said:

Golden Apple (LA),  Hi De Hi (LA),  JapanLA (LA),  Graham Crackers (Chicago),  Challengers Comics (Chicago),  Top Cut (Illinois),  Laughing Ogre (Columbus),  Vault of Midnight (Grand Rapids),  Dream Haven (Minneapolis),  Crazy Fred's (La Mesa). 

Uncle Hugo's (Minneapolis) -- one of the nation's major science-fiction bookshops, was completely burnt to the ground.

This news in my mind is worse than the pandemic, totally avoidable.  So freaking sad.

I sent a message to the store I mentioned previously via the Facebook page. Despite WV being allowed to open businesses now for a few weeks, that store remains closed. I don’t know what is going on with it.

Yes, taking every precaution.

only 3 customers allowed in the store at the same time, must be wearing a mask, and they have plastic shielding all around the counters; hand sanitizers at the door and by the register.

On 6/1/2020 at 3:51 PM, Robot Man said:

It is, I am glad I got out of CA when I did

On 6/2/2020 at 11:02 AM, Bookery said:

JapanLA is not a comic book store

My suburban comic store never closed, as landlord did not reduce monthly rent using fed subsidy. If your LCS is going to have a 4th of July or Canada Day weekend sale, they should set up an email list, Instagram or Facebook page assigning 30 minute blocks of shopping time to spread out the customers inside their store for social distancing. LCS's allowing 1 or 2 collectors at a time inside shop.

North Seattle, WA Comics Dungeon store closed after 28 years. They used to have solid back issue selection. 1 of Bellingham, WA's 2 shops, Corner Comics, closing soon after 39 years in business.

13 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

My suburban comic store never closed, as landlord did not reduce monthly rent using fed subsidy. If your LCS is going to have a 4th of July or Canada Day weekend sale, they should set up an email list, Instagram or Facebook page assigning 30 minute blocks of shopping time to spread out the customers inside their store for social distancing. LCS's allowing 1 or 2 collectors at a time inside shop.

North Seattle, WA Comics Dungeon store closed after 28 years. They used to have solid back issue selection. 1 of Bellingham, WA's 2 shops, Corner Comics, closing soon after 39 years in business.

That is really sad