• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pgx graded signed comics

10 posts in this topic

CGC will regrade, and actually offers a discounted program to convert slabs from the other services. The book will get a green label, not a gold one, as the signature was not witnessed as part of the CGC Signature Series program. It may or may not receive the same grade it has currently; it will be evaluated as if it were a newly submitted book (unlike CGC-to-CGC reholder submissions). PGX has, in general, considerably looser grading requirements, so be aware that more than a few books that go PGX-to-CGC have dropped in grade. If this book is old enough that the potential for restoration is a concern, PGX is famously bad at overlooking it, so that's something else to be aware of.

That said, anything I'd want slabbed is better off in a CGC holder than a PGX one, even with a lower number at the top. CGC isn't flawless, but PGX has earned the ;poor reputation they have.

4 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

The book will get a green label, not a gold one, as the signature was not witnessed as part of the CGC Signature Series program.

Regarding the green label, that is not necessarily the case. I had an FF48 with an unverified Stan Lee sig. Sent it to CGC, requesting a blue label. It came back 4.5 blue label with the notation, "Stan Lee written on cover". . 

Just now, oldrover said:

Regarding the green label, that is not necessarily the case. I had an FF48 with an unverified Stan Lee sig. Sent it to CGC, requesting a blue label. It came back 4.5 blue label with the notation, "Stan Lee written on cover". . 

Okay, that is fair. CGC does permit you to request that the unwitnessed signature be treated purely as a defect to receive a blue label at a lower grade. However, you must specifically request this with the submission; they won't do that randomly.

So I have quite a bit of experimentation experience grading the same books from both grading companies in the past for comparison.  From personal experience, CGC will grade extremely harshly any book arriving in a PGX label for re-grading.  I know you save 50% off the costs, but its like they want to punish you for sending them a PGX slab or something and I will NEVER do it again!  I had a restored ultra Key Pro restored by Matt Nelson back in the day at 7.5 by CGC.  Sent it to PGX to see what it would get, also got a 7.5, sent it back to CGC in the PGX label, came back 7.0 with C amature restoration designation (same pro work by Matt Nelson)!   Same thing on another book restored by one of the very best pro's that almost always gets A work and never below 5.0 after restoration (ever!), they gave it a 4.0 with C designation his lowest grade by far and 1st time ever getting C instead of A or B work!  I have to conclude this was just because it came in a PGX 6.5 restored label they were biased against, no other explanation!  If I ever want CGC grading on a PGX book, I will crack it open and send it in raw so it does not get destroyed by this harsh/unfair grading, not worth the 50% grading fee discount! 

By the way, I had 2 silver age key books at 9.0 by CGC, thought they deserved 9.2, so I sent them to PGX for an experiment thinking 9.2+ was a lock and they both came back lower at 8.5, so PGX is actually at least sometimes a bit tougher in those grade ranges, I have heard many other people also getting higher grades from CGC in VF+ to NM ranges after cracking PGX open (but Never send it in the original PGX holder!)  That is why we always preach to buy the book, not the slab!  Buy comics based on how it looks, not just the sometimes harsh or loose label designation that depends on who is personally grading it (out of 100+ graders) and having a good vs bad day etc!  Regarding PGX historically loose grading in the lower grade ranges, late last year I complained to PGX that they were grading their lower grades too loose compared to competitors, Daniel said he was already considering upping their standards and sure enough the lot of lower grade key books I sent them recently came back at the very least 1/2 grade and sometimes 1 full grade lower than their previous standards, so if the grading date is from this year forward, I think you are more likely getting a grade a bit closer to CGC standards on the lower range than in the past. (traditionally their weakest grading range).  Their color touch and trimming detection is pretty solid (the most common resto stuff), but CGC is far better at catching some of harder to detect pro stuff, so beware you take a bit of risk on the big dollar (blue label) major keys in a PGX holder.  :preach:

Edited by TC33

On 6/2/2020 at 12:51 PM, joeypost said:

After watching them witness their own signatures in Seattle on year, I wouldn’t trust a single SS book from them. 

You're talking about PGX, correct?

(Asking, because the comment above yours refers to CBCS).