• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Encapsulation question for the masses

5 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

I have a unique question.  I saw a post in the 'ask CGC' forum where a recent submitter had a book rejected because the pages were loose in one of his books he subbed.  His response from a CGC rep was that they do not grade books with detached pages:

Thread in question

My question is, I've seen numerous slabs with the centerfold detached, cover detached, multiple inner wraps detached, etc...so am I crazy in thinking that this book that the submitter had rejected wasn't for that reason but for a different reason entirely maybe?  I've also seen slabs with a front cover - missing back, etc...so I thought I'd ask the group for their thoughts and insight...

7 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

Hey everyone!

I have a unique question.  I saw a post in the 'ask CGC' forum where a recent submitter had a book rejected because the pages were loose in one of his books he subbed.  His response from a CGC rep was that they do not grade books with detached pages:

Thread in question

My question is, I've seen numerous slabs with the centerfold detached, cover detached, multiple inner wraps detached, etc...so am I crazy in thinking that this book that the submitter had rejected wasn't for that reason but for a different reason entirely maybe?  I've also seen slabs with a front cover - missing back, etc...so I thought I'd ask the group for their thoughts and insight...

The comic in the thread you referenced is both detached and incomplete (missing back cover).

I can't recall if I've ever seen a graded comic with covers or wraps completely detached at all staples.

13 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

Hey everyone!

Thread in question

I admit that I haven't read the link to the thread...

but CGC will reject books with overhang. This is most commonly seen in older books (pre-silver). 

From my understanding, if they think the encapsulation process will in anyway damage a book (like one with overhang), they will refuse to grade it. 

Edited by newshane

4 hours ago, newshane said:

I admit that I haven't read the link to the thread...

but CGC will reject books with overhang. This is most commonly seen in older books (pre-silver). 

From my understanding, if they think the encapsulation process will in anyway damage a book (like one with overhang), they will refuse to grade it. 

In the original post the CGC rep states that they won't grade anything with detached pages that could move around in the holder - I haven't seen his book so maybe missing the back cover as well its why they wouldn't grade it but I just sold a golden age book that the interior was entirely detached and completely split with brittle pages, to boot.  To me, why would they encapsulate that book (the one I sold) and not the OP of the other thread?  I'm assuming I'd have to see his book in person to understand it but it just made me wonder why it could have been rejected...