• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Silver Age appearance [Enquiry]

11 posts in this topic

Hey there ^_^

Just curious on this matter as I very well know it's a slippery slope at times, but I have a comic of a particularly named character which was published in January 7, 1956, and the issue before that - which included the exact same character, mind you - was published on December 31, 1955. My question is whether the January 7, 1956 issue would technically be construed as the first Silver Age appearance of the said character?

Edited by Bart Allen

32 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Off-hand, I'd say no. I'm not sure why, but my gut says no.  Interesting question.

13 minutes ago, shadroch said:

My rule of thumb for DC heroes is if it has a Comic Code Seal, its Silver Age, no Seal it's Golden Age. I just ignore the Platinum Age for DC.

I see, thanks ^_^

The character in question is Young Marvelman - being a British comic published by now defunct L.Miller and Son; the Comic Code Seal wouldn't be applicable in that case, I do believe ~

Marvelman came about because Miller had been reprinting Captain Marvel and there were no more Captain Marvels, so I'd go with whichever issue transitioned from starring Freddie Freeman to starring Little Jonny whomever.

10 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Marvelman came about because Miller had been reprinting Captain Marvel and there were no more Captain Marvels, so I'd go with whichever issue transitioned from starring Freddie Freeman to starring Little Jonny whomever.

His first appearance was in Young Marvelman #25 (where the reprinting began) - which was published in February 3, 1954 thus still a Golden Age variety: in which Freeman transitioned into the character of Dickie Dauntless.

The issues I was referring to in the OP were: 

Young Marvelman #124: December 31, 1955

Young Marvelman #125: January 7, 1956

Which is almost 100 issues since the transition, which occurred during the Golden Age.

Edited by Bart Allen

What is special about the January 7, 1956 date as a dividing line?  I know opinions differ about what starts the Silver Age.  But if you're timing it to Showcase #4, that issue hit the stands in the summer of 1956.  (shrug)

'1st Silver Age appearance' comics usually are designated when a certain character has not been used for a while, no? Such as Batman 171 (Riddler), Batman 234 (Two-Face, clearly in Bronze but I guess there had been a lengthy layoff for the villain), Batman 189 (Scarecrow), etc. Creating a dividing line between Showcase 4 when the character has been regularly appearing sequentially doesn't usually cut it unless I'm mistaken.

5 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

His first appearance was in Young Marvelman #25 (where the reprinting began) - which was published in February 3, 1954 thus still a Golden Age variety: in which Freeman transitioned into the character of Dickie Dauntless.

The issues I was referring to in the OP were: 

Young Marvelman #124: December 31, 1955

Young Marvelman #125: January 7, 1956

Which is almost 100 issues since the transition, which occurred during the Golden Age.

You seem to have decided the SA starts on 1-1-56.  If that is your criteria, I'm not sure what the purpose of the thread is. I'd argue the Golden Age of British Comics is the 1980s with Warrior, 2000AD and the rest.

30 minutes ago, shadroch said:

You seem to have decided the SA starts on 1-1-56.  If that is your criteria, I'm not sure what the purpose of the thread is. I'd argue the Golden Age of British Comics is the 1980s with Warrior, 2000AD and the rest.

I mean, I always thought 1956 was the starting point, though I forgot about Showcase #4 - but then again there's Martian Manhunter's appearance too ~

6 hours ago, bb8 said:

'1st Silver Age appearance' comics usually are designated when a certain character has not been used for a while, no? Such as Batman 171 (Riddler), Batman 234 (Two-Face, clearly in Bronze but I guess there had been a lengthy layoff for the villain), Batman 189 (Scarecrow), etc. Creating a dividing line between Showcase 4 when the character has been regularly appearing sequentially doesn't usually cut it unless I'm mistaken.

Exactly.

Nobody cares about a "first X Age appearance" by a character who was being continuously published. What's the first SA appearance of Superman? There isn't one.