• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inaccuracies of GPA
2 2

81 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, GM8 said:
12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

The part that I find rather confusing and highly suspicious then is why the back cover scan for the $79K eBay copy is clearly the same as the back cover scan for the $90K HA copy, as clearly evident by the matching tell tale minute details on both of the back cover scans?  :devil:  (tsk)

Only reason I am asking is this clearly appears to be the topic of this thread here in terms of possible GPA market manipulation through the use of potential fraudulent listings or so-called "completed" transactions that never ever even actually took place.  hm (shrug)

So you're saying that Heritage is being gamed? That's what has to be happening based on your theory. All because a picture appears similar to you. An eBay completed sale can be faked. But Heritage??? Lol, you are smoking some good stuff 

Extremely sad to see that you keep seeming to misunderstand my post as nowhere in there was I saying the Heritage completed auction was being gamed.  Especially since the Heritage completed auction was back in August of 2019 and the eBay auction that is in question was just completed a few days ago on June 10th.  So, I don't see why you would think Heritage is the one that is gaming the system in this particular situation here.  :makepoint:

I am stating that the completed eBay auction for $79,950 is clearly fraudulent as the scammer simply stole the front cover scan from the CC $85K BIN listing and then stole the back cover scan from the HA $90K auction listing.  (tsk)   Just dont want any potential bidders to end up incorporating this obviously fraudulent eBay sale for $79K if they are thinking of bidding on the CGC 9.8 graded copy of TMNT 1 that is listed in the current CL Auction scheduled to end in a few short weeks from now on July 7th.  hm  (thumbsu

Just noticed on the TMNT 1 thread on the CA Forum that Masterchief with his usual top of the game scanning analytical skills has also come to the exact same conclusion with respect to this supposedly "completed" eBay transaction:  :applause:

31 minutes ago, MasterChief said:

No question about it. They are an exact match.

The eBay seller swiped the Heritage image and then cropped it for his eBay listing.

Not only do the black color printing imperfection line up, so do the scanner artifacts that are visible on the slab itself.

TMNT#1_back-cover-comparison-1.jpg

TMNT#1_ebay_back-cover.jpg

TMNT#1_heritage_back-cover.jpg

Edited by lou_fine

34 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Extremely sad to see that you keep seeming to misunderstand my post as nowhere in there was I saying the Heritage completed auction was being gamed.  Especially since the Heritage completed auction was back in August of 2019 and the eBay auction that is in question was just completed a few days ago on June 10th.  So, I don't see why you would think Heritage is the one that is gaming the system in this particular situation here.  :makepoint:

I am stating that the completed eBay auction for $79,950 is clearly fraudulent as the scammer simply stole the front cover scan from the CC $85K BIN listing and then stole the back cover scan from the HA $90K auction listing.  (tsk)   Just dont want any potential bidders to end up incorporating this obviously fraudulent eBay sale for $79K if they are thinking of bidding on the CGC 9.8 graded copy of TMNT 1 that is listed in the current CL Auction scheduled to end in a few short weeks from now on July 7th.  hm  (thumbsu

Just noticed on the TMNT 1 thread on the CA Forum that Masterchief with his usual top of the game scanning analytical skills has also come to the exact same conclusion with respect to this supposedly "completed" eBay transaction:  :applause:

lou- theres a great function on the boards called IGNORE. it makes time spent here much more pleasant. and the know it alls can just post to one another. highly recommend you try it instead of working yourself up. 

42 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Ok, now I see where you're going with this. You should know that the book on Comic Link doesn't appear to have any connection to the $79.5K sale book on ebay (and is now on comic connect). The CL book is likely being sold by dotcomcomics out of Maine, who had it listed as a BIN for $100K in fall of 2019 then a bad sale occurred @ $50K and fell through.

No idea why a back cover photo would be re-used. Dishonest? Yes. Does it mean that the sale is a lie? Not necessarily. I've got a note into Comic Connect to see what's up with the same book being listed for $85K. We'll see.

16 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

lou- theres a great function on the boards called IGNORE. it makes time spent here much more pleasant. and the know it alls can just post to one another. highly recommend you try it instead of working yourself up. 

If you think that questioning someone is enough to be ignored, then please ignore me. lol

On 6/13/2020 at 1:10 PM, GM8 said:
On 6/13/2020 at 12:53 PM, www.alexgross.com said:

If you think that questioning someone is enough to be ignored, then please ignore me. lol

Oh, come on now..............it's not nice to place people on IGNORE as it's always good to see other people's point of views and thoughts.  (thumbsu

Especially since if I had to place boardies on IGNORE, I would probably have to start with myself since I tend to go on and on sometimes and I certainly wouldn't want to miss my own pearls of wisdom here.  lol

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Oh, come on now..............it's not nice to place people on IGNORE as it's always good to see other people's point of views and thoughts.  (thumbsu

Especially since if I had to place boardies on IGNORE, I would probably have to start with myself since I tend to go on and on sometimes and I certainly wouldn't want to miss my own pearls of wisdom here.  lol

there are a couple of folks who do nothing here but argue and insist that they are always right and everyone else is wrong. you seem to have been getting into it with perhaps one of them, needlessly, so i thought i'd point out a great option for you that has saved me endless headaches. 

i much prefer the company of the vast majority of boardies who actually are interested in real information and dialogue, instead of just being right all the time. thanks to the IGNORE function i have not had to listen to someone routinely insist that white pages don't matter to the value of a Hulk 181, among other things. 

8 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

thanks to the IGNORE function i have not had to listen to someone routinely insist that white pages don't matter to the value of a Hulk 181, among other things. 

Well, of course White Pages affects the value of a book.  doh!

As we all so clearly know from our time spent on the boards here, the much dreaded White Pages will always lower the value of a slabbed book and are to be avoided like the plague.  lol  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

Not sure if I missed this info somewhere, but wondering how long it takes GPA to update with ebay sales. I haven't checked lately (admittedly I'm cheap and don't have a subscription myself because I have a friend who has one) but a month or so ago I saw the value of an xmen 1 2.0 was showing much lower on GPA then the last 3 ebay sales in that grade. The sales were all about $4k for a 2.0 blue label, but GPA was reporting $3400.

Edited by serling1978

2 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

Not sure if I missed this info somewhere, but wondering how long it takes GPA to update with ebay sales.

@gpanalysis updates daily with Ebay sales - but Ebay "best offer" sales aren't usually the price that is shown.  Ebay might accept a "Best Offer" on a $4,000 book for $3,400 and then put $4,000 in the completed sales information.  The actual sale price will be recorded in GPA.

Edited by valiantman

4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

@gpanalysis updates daily with Ebay sales - but Ebay "best offer" sales aren't usually the price that is shown.  Ebay might accept a "Best Offer" on a $4,000 book for $3,400 and then put $4,000 in the completed sales information.  The actual sale price will be recorded in GPA.

For sold best offers, from what I've seen over the years (including items I have sold) is if your sort by sold items with price descending even though it won't display the actual sales amount it will sort based on the actual sale amount. Which if there are enough sales of a book, will give you a pretty solid ballpark on the sale price. 

9 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

how is GPA scraping the actual sale price when there's no way for us normal people to see it?

Bring up a completed auction, click on "See original listing" then go to "view page source" for the behind-the-scenes website HTML code (it's also Ctrl-U in Chrome).  Search for "taxex" and it will give you the "taxExclusivePrice" and it is the actual sale price.

ebaybestoffer.thumb.png.ed7f1d70051de9125230122cce232817.png

Edited by valiantman

2 minutes ago, serling1978 said:

For sold best offers, from what I've seen over the years (including items I have sold) is if your sort by sold items with price descending even though it won't display the actual sales amount it will sort based on the actual sale amount. Which if there are enough sales of a book, will give you a pretty solid ballpark on the sale price. 

Ebay no longer does this to my knowledge 

7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Bring up a completed auction, click on "See original listing" then go to "view page source" for the behind-the-scenes website HTML code (it's also Ctrl-U in Chrome).  Search for "taxex" and it will give you the "taxExclusivePrice" and it is the actual sale price.

Whoa. That's some serious detective work. I'll give it a try on some of those Xmen sales. 

5 hours ago, valiantman said:

Can somebody explain why eBay is allowed to list the original Ask price as the so-called Sold Price" when the book clearly did NOT sell for that price?  :frustrated:  :censored:

Especially when doing it this way seems to be deliberately misleading.  (tsk)

Edited by lou_fine

12 hours ago, valiantman said:

Got a chance to try your trick and it totally worked.  The one I checked was $50 less than I expected based on sorting competed items by descending dollar amount. So, pretty close. 

My god, this thread is mind numbing. Watching a 5 minute YouTube video on intellectual property will clear up the issue of CLink/GPA “is data public knowledge” issue, or even better, google “phone book data ownership Supreme Court;” I had no idea it was this complicated to people.

aside from the CLink issue, and eBay, does GPA capture comicconnect, heritage, or other auction site data?