• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

comics set in Disneyland

10 posts in this topic

Howdy!

I'm trying to put together a small collection of comics where the stories are set at a Disney theme park. 

What's proving tricky is that there are a bunch of comics that have Disneyland in the title, but they don't all seem to feature stories that actually take place at the park. 

For example, I have "Vacation in Disneyland," which you would think takes place in the park. But not really. Instead, Tinkerbell acts as a narrator introducing different stories that are inspired by parts of the park. So for instance, there's one panel where she's like "Oh, here we are at Rocket to the Moon" - but the story isn't set in Tomorrowland, it's a story about Disney characters taking a rocket to space.

For me, the fun part is seeing the park - seeing the depictions of the old attractions, and the characters interacting with them. That's what I want. But it's hard to figure out from descriptions online which stories — if any! — are actually set at the park, and which ones just use the idea of the park as a framing device like this. 

Does anybody know which Disneyland issues, if any, are actually set at the park?

Thanks!

On 6/2/2020 at 1:02 PM, Crimebuster said:

Howdy!

I'm trying to put together a small collection of comics where the stories are set at a Disney theme park. 

What's proving tricky is that there are a bunch of comics that have Disneyland in the title, but they don't all seem to feature stories that actually take place at the park. 

For example, I have "Vacation in Disneyland," which you would think takes place in the park. But not really. Instead, Tinkerbell acts as a narrator introducing different stories that are inspired by parts of the park. So for instance, there's one panel where she's like "Oh, here we are at Rocket to the Moon" - but the story isn't set in Tomorrowland, it's a story about Disney characters taking a rocket to space.

For me, the fun part is seeing the park - seeing the depictions of the old attractions, and the characters interacting with them. That's what I want. But it's hard to figure out from descriptions online which stories — if any! — are actually set at the park, and which ones just use the idea of the park as a framing device like this. 

Does anybody know which Disneyland issues, if any, are actually set at the park?

Thanks!

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but I found this.  It does appear at least on of the books listed takes place in Disneyland

touringplans.com/blog/2015/09/19/ss_comicbooks/

COMICS_bdaypartypanel.jpg

And check this out

yourfirstvisit.net/2020/04/17/a-friday-visit-with-jim-korkis-the-lost-disney-mgm-studios-comic-book-story/

Donald and Mickey: The Magic Kingdom Collection (Walt Disney’s Comics & Stories), published by IDW in 2017,  is a collection of seven Disney comic book stories drawn from various sources (including some foreign publications) over the last 60 years that have the Disney cartoon characters exploring Disneyland.

Between 1955 and 1960 Dell produced ten giant-sized twenty-five cent Disneyland comic books containing over ninety pages each of new, original content in each issue. The 10 giant-sized issues were Donald Duck in Disneyland No. 1 (1955), Mickey Mouse in Frontierland No. 1 (1956), Mickey Mouse in Fantasyland No. 1 (1957), Uncle Scrooge Goes to Disneyland No. 1 (1957), Walt Disney’s Christmas in Disneyland No. 1 (1957), Donald and Mickey in Disneyland No. 1 (1958), Walt Disney’s Vacation in Disneyland No. 1 (1958), Disneyland Birthday Party No. 1 (1958), Walt Disney’s Vacation in Disneyland Dell Four Color 1025 (1959, only 36 pages), Walt Disney’s Disneyland U.S.A. (1960).

And...

Walt Disney Comics Digest #32 is the only comic book ever published that has the Disney characters exploring the newly opened Magic Kingdom in Florida, and is 160 pages long.

There are a couple at Epcot Center, too. Most famously Mickey and Goofy Explore The Universe of Energy at Epcot Center. At the time, Exxon sponsored Epcot, and this promotional comic is straight-up the Disney characters shilling for the fossil fuel industry. And lamenting the fact that gas prices might be as high as $1.27 if we don't support Exxon!

It didn't age well, is what I'm saying.

On 6/4/2020 at 2:53 PM, Qalyar said:

There are a couple at Epcot Center, too. Most famously Mickey and Goofy Explore The Universe of Energy at Epcot Center. At the time, Exxon sponsored Epcot, and this promotional comic is straight-up the Disney characters shilling for the fossil fuel industry. And lamenting the fact that gas prices might be as high as $1.27 if we don't support Exxon!

It didn't age well, is what I'm saying.

mickey-goofey1.jpg