• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCS - new consignment terms

54 posts in this topic

Sure, it could be done, but does it benefit them? Who does it benefit?  I've heard that Heritage waives fees for some consigners.  I was looking to move two  books, worth about $14,000 and called them , only to be told I'd be charged full fees. I went elsewhere and never looked back.

Why complicate a system that is working fine.

I'm not trying to paint myself up as being special because I am not, I just sell a lot.

I see this courtesy as the same type of business nod that I personally get at the main shows. I haven't paid for an entrance into a comic show for years. Why? Because of the unspoken that dealers have with my kind that go there with the main purpose to buy from a lot them. They realize the more discretionary money you have, the more you have to spend and it comes back around to these dealers to comp badges. This is a business for me, a side one but still a business. For one that goes to a show to buy from sellers to the point of exhaustion I see courtesy going a long way. Besides that, I'm probably one of the most honest people you will ever meet and I have helped watch booths for sellers that needed a smoke or whiz break.

Anyway, I've spoken my peace here. I can call Conan or Buddy and figure out what my next move is.

32 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Sure, it could be done, but does it benefit them? Who does it benefit?  I've heard that Heritage waives fees for some consigners.  I was looking to move two  books, worth about $14,000 and called them , only to be told I'd be charged full fees. I went elsewhere and never looked back.

Why complicate a system that is working fine.

Sounds like Heritage is a hassle all ways 'round.

Semi off-topic, but business has been gangbusters at MCS lately. I am normally lucky to move a few comics in a month with my nosebleed-inducing pricing but since they reopened I have sold 16 slabs (worth about $8k) in little more than a month. Must be those stimulus checks! :acclaim:

6 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Semi off-topic, but business has been gangbusters at MCS lately. I am normally lucky to move a few comics in a month with my nosebleed-inducing pricing but since they reopened I have sold 16 slabs (worth about $8k) in little more than a month. Must be those stimulus checks! :acclaim:

That and the fact there are no comic shows on the horizon.

But yes, I must say that after all the personal grief and sadness that this Covid situation has brung (trust me my life has been a country song of late) I am still grateful for MCS because they have helped me bring much needed money in for me and my family/best friends. It's just that a lot of those are books that have been in stock for over a year... Oh well.

36 minutes ago, Wally's Comics said:

I'm not trying to paint myself up as being special because I am not, I just sell a lot.

I see this courtesy as the same type of business nod that I personally get at the main shows. I haven't paid for an entrance into a comic show for years. Why? Because of the unspoken that dealers have with my kind that go there with the main purpose to buy from a lot them. They realize the more discretionary money you have, the more you have to spend and it comes back around to these dealers to comp badges. This is a business for me, a side one but still a business. For one that goes to a show to buy from sellers to the point of exhaustion I see courtesy going a long way. Besides that, I'm probably one of the most honest people you will ever meet and I have helped watch booths for sellers that needed a smoke or whiz break.

Anyway, I've spoken my peace here. I can call Conan or Buddy and figure out what my next move is.

Call them and express your feelings.  I'm sure they will welcome your feedback and perhaps you can get them to fine tune things.

15 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Not  having sports to bet on is saving some of my friends a small fortune.

When I had books for consignment, I used to slap them in the fixed price area first. Usually I would set the price a bit below what previous sales had been or lower than what others had them listed. Some sales but a lot of times it was just crickets.

Put them in the auction and they would sell 25 to 50% higher than what I had them priced in the fixed area.

On 6/5/2020 at 1:32 PM, bb8 said:

It wouldn't necessarily have to be different standards for different consignors though. They could do something like eBay does where you obtain status as a '3-star' seller or somesuchlike thing with spelled-out bench marks that you have to hit to be exempt from storage fees. Doesn't really affect me because I'm no well-endowed meat-swinger on their site, I'm small potatoes, but it could be done.

This seems like a decent idea and a potential carrot for sellers.

On 6/5/2020 at 12:04 PM, Wally's Comics said:

MCS under grades raws big time to avoid returns. Whenever I send in raw books I can guarantee MCS will call it a full one to two grades lower than my grading.

They are definitely tight on the grading. When their auctions run, I put the books on my watchlist into a spreadsheet I have created. One column is the max I'd pay for a book at the grade assigned, and another column for the max I'd pay for one grade (number grade+1) higher.