• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artist identification thread

27 posts in this topic

On 6/4/2020 at 4:29 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

OK, I guess I'll start this with a controversial cover.  This has always been attributed to Baker in the guide, but most Baker collectors disagree.  Who actually did this cover?

15923547374_3698189ef3_c.jpg

Matt Baker is suggested on GCD as well. Not sure if there’s a more accurate candidate though.

On 6/4/2020 at 4:29 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

OK, I guess I'll start this with a controversial cover.  This has always been attributed to Baker in the guide, but most Baker collectors disagree.  Who actually did this cover?

15923547374_3698189ef3_c.jpg

Lee Ames -- who drew other covers for Avon

On 9/28/2020 at 5:22 PM, Electricmastro said:

In regards to Jack Kirby, it’s uncertain as to whether it was him or Joe Simon who drew these covers in particular, and I’m not exactly sure how to differentiate between their art:

R1Ve9wa.jpg

h3AnczS.jpg

PM3BTHG.png

Kirby's hands sorta suck.  So I'd say these were Simon.

On 6/4/2020 at 6:23 PM, Electricmastro said:

There hasn’t been a confidently-made confirmation, at least that I know of, as to who drew these Shock Gibson covers. It’s suggested that they were either drawn by Bob Powell or Norman Fallon.

mo2WeJQ.jpg

nqk0n3B.jpg

48s54Zh.jpg

4QfYH4V.jpg

U4xkVaY.jpg

hHfmFkI.jpg

NH6SSz9.jpg

DGS1gYA.jpg

tlewSYH.jpg

To my eyes, it looks like you got at least 3 different artists on these.

On 9/28/2020 at 8:22 PM, Electricmastro said:

In regards to Jack Kirby, it’s uncertain as to whether it was him or Joe Simon who drew these covers in particular, and I’m not exactly sure how to differentiate between their art:

R1Ve9wa.jpg

h3AnczS.jpg

PM3BTHG.png

Speed 20 -- Kirby pencils.  Kirby's art is dynamic, giving you a sense of action & motion, like with the circular motion of the kid's rifle.

Speed 23 -- Simon pencils.  Awkward design with stiffly posed lead figure.

Airboy -- Kirby layout.  No particular reason,  that is the dramatic feeling I get when looking at it.