• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYCC 2020 Status?

51 posts in this topic

Has anyone heard anything?  I am going on the assumption it will be cancelled, but nothing official has been said.  By this point, Reed Pop has usually sent an email telling us when the pre-sale is with a link.  I had heard months ago of a mid June date to start sales, and have not received anything.  The official website is still counting down to the event.

(I did look for another NYCC link, sorry if this is a repeat)

I don't see how this could happen.  The Javits center was a makeshift hospital facility for a short period of time, the city is just barely opening up with a potential date of June 8th and now there's protesting all around the city.  The NYCC organizers came out in March and said the event would still happen but that they are monitoring the Covid-19 situation.  I would bet that they are probably waiting until the last minute possible to announce physical cancellation with a move to an online virtual show format.

Doesn't really matter to me anyway.  The show has been so overcrowded with more of a focus on everything else but comics that I haven't bothered to attend since 2012 even being somewhat local.  It's an expensive event also between ticket prices and paying for anyone's signature/photo to wait on line for 2 hours.

1 minute ago, Keys_Collector said:

I don't see how this could happen.  The Javits center was a makeshift hospital facility for a short period of time, the city is just barely opening up with a potential date of June 8th and now there's protesting all around the city.  The NYCC organizers came out in March and said the event would still happen but that they are monitoring the Covid-19 situation.  I would bet that they are probably waiting until the last minute possible to announce physical cancellation with a move to an online virtual show format.

Doesn't really matter to me anyway.  The show has been so overcrowded with more of a focus on everything else but comics that I haven't bothered to attend since 2012 even being somewhat local.  It's an expensive event also between ticket prices and paying for anyone's signature/photo to wait on line for 2 hours.

The hospital has been or is in the process of being broken down.  It was lightly used and is not longer needed.  That should be a non factor.  Yes, I agree it is unlikely, but would prefer they say something.

3 minutes ago, drotto said:

The hospital has been or is in the process of being broken down.  It was lightly used and is not longer needed.  That should be a non factor.  Yes, I agree it is unlikely, but would prefer they say something.

To be honest, I don't think they know themselves.

I live in Long Island , which is the Suburb of NY NY has a policy of Slowwwwwwwwww opening 

Currently the hospitals have almost no covid patients Despite this we are still in  Phase 1 of 4 of re-opening with 2 scheduled for 6/15 

NYC has yet to even enter phase 1 . Phase 4!  is where they will Movie theaters and larger gatherings I don't know if this includes NYCC

These events by the way are now referred to as "Super-Spreader" events and many states have already banned them until 2021 

And if this wasn't complicated enough we have been hard hit by the current  riots, further delaying re-opening, plus the fact there were

thousands of people in close proximity most unmasked, means  there may ne a spike in covid which could also delay re-opening 

I am looking forward to NY comicon but at this point I just do not see it. 

I also contacted My rep RE Reed keystone in Philly and was told they are still Moving forward with that. So I assume reed will try as hard as they can 

to hold the show, but NY is tough 

1 hour ago, Golden Memories said:

I live in Long Island , which is the Suburb of NY NY has a policy of Slowwwwwwwwww opening 

Currently the hospitals have almost no covid patients Despite this we are still in  Phase 1 of 4 of re-opening with 2 scheduled for 6/15 

NYC has yet to even enter phase 1 . Phase 4!  is where they will Movie theaters and larger gatherings I don't know if this includes NYCC

These events by the way are now referred to as "Super-Spreader" events and many states have already banned them until 2021 

And if this wasn't complicated enough we have been hard hit by the current  riots, further delaying re-opening, plus the fact there were

thousands of people in close proximity most unmasked, means  there may ne a spike in covid which could also delay re-opening 

I am looking forward to NY comicon but at this point I just do not see it. 

I also contacted My rep RE Reed keystone in Philly and was told they are still Moving forward with that. So I assume reed will try as hard as they can 

to hold the show, but NY is tough 

So are Philly and Baltimore still on (Baltimore tickets are on sale)? I live in central NJ so I am very familiar with NYC and its covid response. 

Edited by drotto

Anyone else hear anything in regards to professional / press badges?  I had applied for mine but never even heard a response.  Wondering if I lost the email or they have not even made a decision on that yet.  Usually professional / press badges are the first to be addressed before the regular tickets go on sale to the public. 

NY has just cancelled the state fair for the 1st time in 75 years 

NY now has travel restrictions from 17 states with no current expiration dates 

NY city is currently in phase 3 of a 4 phase re-opening , There is currently no date for  phase 4 

originally indoor entertainment venues such as Movie theaters  were scheduled for phase 4 

But they have been pulled, and are now closed indefinitely . The Theater district in NY is closed until at least 2021

It is unlikely you will even be able to see a movie in NY before September Let alone A Major convention 

Like every other Show this year Reed is no doubt taking a wait and see attitude

4 hours ago, Golden Memories said:

NY has just cancelled the state fair for the 1st time in 75 years 

NY now has travel restrictions from 17 states with no current expiration dates 

NY city is currently in phase 3 of a 4 phase re-opening , There is currently no date for  phase 4 

originally indoor entertainment venues such as Movie theaters  were scheduled for phase 4 

But they have been pulled, and are now closed indefinitely . The Theater district in NY is closed until at least 2021

It is unlikely you will even be able to see a movie in NY before September Let alone A Major convention 

Like every other Show this year Reed is no doubt taking a wait and see attitude

IMO it's foolish for them to keep waiting and hold out hope that they can somehow do the show.  My guess is that they are not telling people so that they can announce a virtual con and have some interest in that rather then a waning interest and no one caring if they cancel now and then announce a virtual con down the road.  Probably rather keep that interest going until they can get a firm idea on a virtual style con and what it will consist of.  I get the economic impact it'll have but NY has much more important things to worry about then a comic convention.

More then likely they are working with the convention center and  the insurance companies to make sure they are covered  financially 

There are millions of dollars at stake, and if they shut  prematurely  and are stuck for their outlay 

Right Now WW Chicago is still on and 6 weeks away,  so I am assuming NY will come down to the wire 

The NYC Marathon, which is an outdoor event, recently cancelled.  I don't see an indoor event where social distancing and ventilation issues will be allowed.  Restaurants in NYC are still not allowed to have indoor dining.

Am I correct in assuming that until the show is officially cancelled, there is no reason to issue refunds to vendors who put down deposits?

(shrug)

1 minute ago, NelsonAI said:

The NYC Marathon, which is an outdoor event, recently cancelled.  I don't see an indoor event where social distancing and ventilation issues will be allowed.  Restaurants in NYC are still not allowed to have indoor dining.

Am I correct in assuming that until the show is officially cancelled, there is no reason to issue refunds to vendors who put down deposits?

(shrug)

Not an expert of the law especially in NY state. I set up at a big flea market in LA every month. I had seller tickets for March-May. When this started, they called the shows “postponed” not “canceled”. This allowed them to honor tickets for future shows in the order of which they were postponed to and to not give refunds. So my March ticket became a June ticket. 

I explaned that I was not comfortable with such an early reopening. I was told that although no refunds would be given, He would try and work out something with me later. I got a call yesterday saying he would refund all 3. 

Many of the sellers are older people and probably felt the same way. That and I strongly suspect, due to the surging cases here that the July show is going to get shut down. 

This suks bad. A lot of these make their living doing the monthly flea market shows. I do it for fun and make a little side money selling stuff I can pick up cheap. Won’t kill me but curtails the amount of money I get to “support my habit”...

They're just stalling to see what the next phase of the reopening for New York City would be. The main problem is, is the talent, vendors and attendees. Even the ones that had already put down a deposit. Who is willing to attend an indoor event full of hundreds of thousands of people? This will be the first NYCC that I'll missed since 2007.

9 hours ago, taro90 said:

They're just stalling to see what the next phase of the reopening for New York City would be. The main problem is, is the talent, vendors and attendees. Even the ones that had already put down a deposit. Who is willing to attend an indoor event full of hundreds of thousands of people? This will be the first NYCC that I'll missed since 2007.

If it doesn't take place (and it won't) you won't have missed it and your attendance string will still be intact...

Oh there is no doubt in my mind that this will be cancelled. 

However, I am more concerned with making sure I maintain my status and get my pro badge for next year.   

Come on, do you blame him? Look at that map...

We are in a crisis that this world has never seen.

The sooner we realize that we need to forget about stupid things like "comic cons" for a while, the sooner we can hopefully look ahead to next year. There will be no more comic cons this year. Period! Get over it...