• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYCC 2020 Status?

51 posts in this topic

Just think if "we" could have gone a couple of more weeks without a haircut, nails done, new tattoo or a cocktail/beer served to them by someone else before they went to the gym or the mall. Thank gosh I spent the last month out of quarantine pumping iron, trimming my nose hairs dying my roots, tanning, having sassy people serve me low-cal apple/crantini's. I'm all dressed up looking good and nowhere to go. Do you think these socks make my ankles look fat. 😦Sigh.....hold me Bruce!

IMG_3433.JPG

The first of the widely attended comic related October shows have been cancelled... 

https://news.tfw2005.com/2020/07/16/tfcon-toronto-and-tfcon-chicago-2020-cancelled-414895

Transformers Con TFCon in Toronto (September 4-6) and Chicago (October 23-25) have been cancelled. 

NYCC is most likely a no go.

Edited by Buzzetta

54 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

The writing should have been on the wall months ago.

Besides, who in their right mind would have attended knowing how crowded it gets with the possibility of an infection even if it is minor?  Oh wait, nevermind, people are dumb.  lol

Like I said, I want to make sure I have consideration for my pro-pass next year. If I had to pay full price over the course of the four days I would not go to NYCC at all. 

Edited by Buzzetta

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Like I said, I want to make sure I have consideration for my pro-pass next year. If I had to pay full price over the course of the four days I would not go to NYCC at all. 

There are always exceptions to the rule.  I'm talking more about the fans.  Comics/Toys or any pop culture in person event is not worth getting sick over.

On 7/17/2020 at 1:16 AM, Buzzetta said:

The first of the widely attended comic related October shows have been cancelled... 

https://news.tfw2005.com/2020/07/16/tfcon-toronto-and-tfcon-chicago-2020-cancelled-414895

Transformers Con TFCon in Toronto (September 4-6) and Chicago (October 23-25) have been cancelled. 

NYCC is most likely a no go.

This would make me think we have to be getting closer to Wizard canceling Chicago. 

On 7/18/2020 at 9:37 AM, mysterio said:

This would make me think we have to be getting closer to Wizard canceling Chicago. 

Of course they will cancel...just waiting for the force majeure clause in the contract to kick in.  Once that’s done, you’ll see notice of the convention being cancelled 

On 7/14/2020 at 1:16 PM, Robot Man said:

Come on, do you blame him? Look at that map...

We are in a crisis that this world has never seen.

The sooner we realize that we need to forget about stupid things like "comic cons" for a while, the sooner we can hopefully look ahead to next year. There will be no more comic cons this year. Period! Get over it...

Exactly....suck it up and where a frigging mask and write off 2020.

It sure as Hell beats running around Europe for six years with a gun in your hand killing people.  

We aren’t being asked of much...previous generations were asked for their lives.

For those of you lucky enough not to live in NYC

NYC still has not fully opened even for restaurants, indoor gatherings are forbidden , < indoor events are forbidden

If NYC does happen there are current travel restrictions for 32 states, Meaning there are checkpoints at travel hubs looking for out of state visitors, These visitors are required to register, and required to quarentine for 14 days. Before you visit, make sure you are not on the list

Here's Hoping we can meet in NY 

As y'all said... no NYCC

Something interesting is coming out of this though and that is something that might have put a knife in the back of cons all together. 

I have already mentioned how Disney, Hasbro, and other properties had been developing their own cons in previous years which eliminated the big spending necessary to have a presence at SDCC.

With the 'rona' raging... companies like Hasbro have become innovative and hosted their own daily cons once a week using Facebook and other streaming sites to have a presence and to showcase new product.  Because cons have not been available fans have become used to this the companies are capitalizing on it.  When Hasbro started doing this it was a 'fan friday' event... now it seems that each product line is getting a day during the week to drop an announcement for new product.  It's become a successful model.

Hasbro pulled away from NYCC years ago and instead of renting floor space they rent a suite at a local hotel or some place else to announce new product.  They were generating the same interest off site from the main showroom.  The facebook streaming has probably launched them into new business models and some that others may adopt moving forward rather than commit themselves to cons. 

That suits me just fine.  Maybe we can fill the floor space that these companies currently occupy at "comic cons" with comic book and comic art dealers and thereby turn these current "multi media" cons back into true comic cons...    hm    :wishluck:  

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

That suits me just fine.  Maybe we can fill the floor space that these companies currently occupy at "comic cons" with comic book and comic art dealers and thereby turn these current "multi media" cons back into true comic cons...    hm    :wishluck:  

That won't ever happen again. 

Think about it... when the Javits center sees how much money Reed makes they want more of a take and increase rent for Reed to host NYCC.

These big vendors keep it afloat...

Now, when you have vendors like a Hasbro and Lego pulling out of NYCC (happened years ago) because of the cost for floor space, and creating or attending other cons and getting the same results, Reed found other large vendors.  However if those vendors disappear, the Javits center is still going to want their cut and the high cost of rent for the place.

That means it would be years if not decades before you saw a hard reset where floor space was affordable for more dealers to justify the cost.   It is more likely that you would see smaller venues or more isolated and dedicated events like Comic Book Art Con in NJ.

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

That won't ever happen again. 

Think about it... when the Javits center sees how much money Reed makes they want more of a take and increase rent for Reed to host NYCC.

These big vendors keep it afloat...

Now, when you have vendors like a Hasbro and Lego pulling out of NYCC (happened years ago) because of the cost for floor space, and creating or attending other cons and getting the same results, Reed found other large vendors.  However if those vendors disappear, the Javits center is still going to want their cut and the high cost of rent for the place.

That means it would be years if not decades before you saw a hard reset where floor space was affordable for more dealers to justify the cost.   It is more likely that you would see smaller venues or more isolated and dedicated events like Comic Book Art Con in NJ.

Yes, I know.  It's just a hope of mine that SDCC and NYCC some year become true comicons.

On 7/14/2020 at 1:16 PM, Robot Man said:

Come on, do you blame him? Look at that map...

We are in a crisis that this world has never seen.

The sooner we realize that we need to forget about stupid things like "comic cons" for a while, the sooner we can hopefully look ahead to next year. There will be no more comic cons this year. Period! Get over it...

Black death and spanish flu kinda of makes covid look like cold....  Dont forget small pox..  just an FYI