• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very Disappointing First and Last Experience
3 3

172 posts in this topic

Just had my first comic graded by CGC and I have to say, I am at a loss for words. My initial reaction was of shear disbelief. The grade was at a minimum two tiers below what I was expecting. I’ll be case breaking upon arrival to make a video on it. In a way I’m kind of glad though, at least I’ll save money by never using this service again. Absolutely horrible.

Do you have pics of the book ungraded?  You should post it in the "Hey buddy can you spare a grade" section to see what the boardies come up with as far as a grade is concerned.  It's not uncommon for first time submitters to have higher expectations than the actual grade would allow.  

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

Edited by comicquant

It's hard to even contribute anything when the sample size is 1 comic with no specifics.  Was it a hoped-for 9.8 modern comic that came back 9.4?  Or a Golden Age comic that went from 5.0 to 3.0? 

Judging any process or company on a single experience is a bit premature, but it does happen.  If you went to a restaurant and had a bad experience, you might not ever go back.  But then there are oodles of restaurants, not many grading companies.

6 minutes ago, Mully79 said:

light bends to cover
light creasing to cover
light spine stress lines to cover

Off white/white

I will say this...  I can already tell by the notes that this is the same grader who did my recent batch so my guess is your book was an SA/BA book.  For whatever reason they put the exact same notes on all my books.  There was no variation at all.    

3 minutes ago, Mully79 said:

Why would I mention the grade? All you experts should be able to tell me by the graders notes. Yet all the sudden it got quite. 

I can assure you its not going to get quiet.  This place is packed with experts who would be more than happy to take a shot at grading your book based on some decent scans.

21 hours ago, Mully79 said:

Just had my first comic graded by CGC and I have to say, I am at a loss for words. My initial reaction was of shear disbelief. The grade was at a minimum two tiers below what I was expecting. I’ll be case breaking upon arrival to make a video on it. In a way I’m kind of glad though, at least I’ll save money by never using this service again. Absolutely horrible.

16 hours ago, Mully79 said:

When can I expect a mod to approve my post.

29 minutes ago, Mully79 said:

light bends to cover
light creasing to cover
light spine stress lines to cover

Off white/white

26 minutes ago, Mully79 said:

Cricket Cricket

18 minutes ago, Mully79 said:

Why would I mention the grade? All you experts should be able to tell me by the graders notes. Yet all the sudden it got quite. 

14 minutes ago, Mully79 said:

Yeah it doesn’t really matter really. I already decided I’ll just be selling raw books from now on. Unless I pay for grade from retailer.

6 minutes ago, Mully79 said:

If I can’t trust the graders notes to be accurate, as you pointed out, why should I trust the actual grade itself. It’s also ridiculous that CGC doesn’t even stand behind the graders notes as they mention when you look at them. Industry leader my .

You've blown the lid off the CGC scam! And in your first thread! Perhaps a Pulitzer? How could we all have been so blind?!?! 

giphy.gif

Just now, Mully79 said:

Yes you are correct. They look at it. They also make notes afterwards, reflecting what they saw. So I ask again, why do you need pictures?

Because words are vague and you cannot assess a physical item's condition on words alone.