• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very Disappointing First and Last Experience
3 3

172 posts in this topic

Wow this Thread is Jedi mind melt I just wasted more time  reading it and with no resolution as far as pics of the book and there is no way I would grade a book with out a scan and that is not always accurate either nothing like having the book in your hands to grade it ! Seriously though I Love CGC and have had Grades not go my way with more going my way then not I mean when you send books expecting 9.6 and it comes back 9.8 you always smile but when you send in thinking 9.4 and it comes back 9.2 not smiling quite as much I have done many victory dances and I can assure you its more times then not ! The grade on your book and its a wag its a 7.0 to a 9.2 but I guess that is what you are not looking for ! My first Post in what feels like years LOL

Davidking623

18 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Please bear in mind that I'm just speaking from my own personal experience, and this is not necessarily accurate with regard to the current grading climate at CGC...

But for the sake of my explanation, let's say you're a grader at CGC. You look at an average of 150 to 200 books a day. Some of the invoices you grade are ones that you're specifically designated to grade and some of them are invoices that you end up having to grade because of some other reason. You have an area of expertise that you like to stay in---your own comfort zone.  For this exercise, let's say it's Silver Age Marvels. You're more familiar with books from that era, so it's easier for you to arrive at an accurate grade because you've seen more of them, you know all the page counts and you're more attuned to the flaws associated with those books. In other words, you're more comfortable with them. Everything is going very smoothly until you have a 30 book invoice placed on your desk which contains all modern comics. Suddenly you have to switch gears and become a modern grader. As I'm sure the modern collectors here know, there are all kinds of cover variants and different versions within the modern spectrum. So immediately you begin to feel a certain amount of stress with just trying to make sure the book you're holding in your hands is entered into the system correctly. Not only that, you don't know what the common flaws are on those books, so you have to keep asking someone who does know, which is never a good thing. So this one invoice changes the entire course of your day...and your grading may suffer because of it. 

I often wondered about this. Many times I have sent in invoices that I thought were identical in grade (these were pre-screens). One invoice has few failures while the next has 25% or more. I find that I get a pass rate of at least 50% on my pre-screen failures the second time around. Thank you for your insight, it has helped clear up things in my mind. 

39 minutes ago, joeypost said:

I often wondered about this. Many times I have sent in invoices that I thought were identical in grade (these were pre-screens). One invoice has few failures while the next has 25% or more. I find that I get a pass rate of at least 50% on my pre-screen failures the second time around. Thank you for your insight, it has helped clear up things in my mind. 

I’ve noticed this as well...There was a 9.6 prescreen I just had come back where all were 9.8 PS rejects, and over half of them came back 9.8

Edited by djpinkpanther67

Wow, ole Mully79 came in like an Einstein Tornado and left destruction in his wake. I guess as he put it he "owned" all of us because nobody could deduce his grade based off of three graders notes. Welp, thanks Mully79 for blessing us with your vast intellectual prowess. If you can ever find it in your heart to come back here a deal with us simpletons, please do so, and enlighten us with more of your dazzling brain power.

1 hour ago, djpinkpanther67 said:
1 hour ago, joeypost said:

I’ve noticed this as well...There was a 9.6 prescreen I just had come back where all were 9.8 PS rejects, and over half of them came back 9.8

On one day, it's a 9.6 and on another day it's a 9.8 or vice versa.  All of which makes the silly money paid for 9.8s, well....silly.

7 hours ago, HemiGTX said:

Wow, ole Mully79 came in like an Einstein Tornado and left destruction in his wake. I guess as he put it he "owned" all of us because nobody could deduce his grade based off of three graders notes. Welp, thanks Mully79 for blessing us with your vast intellectual prowess. If you can ever find it in your heart to come back here a deal with us simpletons, please do so, and enlighten us with more of your dazzling brain power.

FB_IMG_1590610396686.jpg

I created a game here several years ago where I would post a picture of a CGC graded book, covered the grade and invite members to grade. Almost every single book was overgraded by the members. I posted several 7.0 books and they came back graded at 9.0 or better. I did this because the I felt they were undergraded by CGC. Granted there may have been stuff going on the inside of the book but I kinda doubt it.

I have seen 7.0 GL/GA #76 that were virtually flawless and some 9.0-9.2 with hatchet marks up and down the spine. It's ridiculous. Only advantage is I bought some really nice 9.0's at 7.0 pricing. CGC grading seems to depend on whether or not the graders girlfriend or wife was kind to him the night before. I mean really. There were and ARE some books for sale graded at tiers they have no business being at.

Edited by Randall Ries