• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very Disappointing First and Last Experience
3 3

172 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Randall Ries said:
14 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

buy several already graded books in the grades you desire and study them and compare them to your books. Books purchased brand new at a comic store are not necessarily 9.8's.

Take the time to learn how to grade, then in the future when you submit your books you have a better chance of getting the grades you want.

I collect comic books because I love them. I buy CGC or CBCS graded and slabbed for the most part. I don’t HAVE to have the highest graded books. I draw the line around 7.0 or so and there are some 7.0 grades that look better than some 9.0’s. I bought all the Adams Strange Adventures in SS except one because I can't find that issue in SS They all hover between 7.0-8.5 and for the life of me don't know why they have been graded so low. But good for me because they are quite attractive and I bought them at an undergraded price. I have seen CGC graded 9.4’s that have no business being graded that high just for the cover appearance alone. When I buy a slabbed book, that’s basically what I’m buying. The cover and its appearance. I’m buying books I had when I was a kid. I love the books and have no real intention of selling them regardless what I’ve told my wife. LOL!

Nice looking books. Books in 7.5 are a good value because they do generally appear to be very nice, especially in the CGC holder. The main difference between a 7.5 and 9.4 will often be an accumulation of minor defects or one fairly moderate defect (such as a 1/4" tear). It's amazing to think of how huge the price difference can be between those two grades when sometimes all that separates them is a fairly minor flaw. You're getting a lot of bang for your buck...  (thumbsu

Late to the party, but just caught up.   So disappointed.  Went through it all, and he never posted the darn scans of the books!  WTH.   At this point, I'd PAY to see the damn scans.  Wait, would I really?   .... Yeah, I would!  At least a nickel.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 6/12/2020 at 7:27 AM, SirJames1454 said:

Many of us probably understand how he feels a wee bit.  A few months back, I submitted five of my comics to get graded.  Now, to set the story, these comics of mine (and about 99% of all my other ones) that I purchased back in the very early 90's have never been opened or read.  At that time, I went to the comic book store and the owner allowed me to carefully hand pick the comics out of his just arrived shipment of new comics.  I immediately placed them into a cardboard backed, acid free plastic bag made for comics.  I then placed those comics into a comic storage box.  I have four long boxes of comics sitting in a humidity controlled (and mostly dark) place in my finished basement for years!  Not sure if anything else I could have been done to keep them in more of a pristine condition.

After all these years, I thought....why not get a few graded.  These things are in mint condition and should get a super high rating of at least 9.8!  Why wouldn't they! - (see first part of story above) .  You can imagine my surprise when I received them back a couple months later.  Two of my Spiderman's were rated at 9.2.  Vamperella #1 was rated at 9.2, Spawn #1 rated at 9.4 and another Spiderman rated at 9.6.  I read the notes (i.e. "faults") that they associated with each of the comics and tried my best to find them.  I honestly can say that I might have found one of the "issues", but I sure as hell couldn't find any of the others! 

But, I guess its the luck of the draw (and someones opinion that day), so to speak.  Am I a bit bummed that they were not graded higher?  Sure, who wouldn't be.  Do I believe they should be rated higher?  In my opinion...yup.  But, watcha' gonna' do.  It didn't deter me from sending in another five comics two months ago (waiting on results).  Kinda' feels like buying some scratch off tickets.  You may be a bit disappointed after the first one is scratched, but hoping the next ones better.  :wishluck:

I have a similar background as you. I sent over 50 comics to CGC in the past months. The funniest thing is that I carefully choose my Spider-Man comics at my LCS since I am a big fan. So I sent a few like ASM #300, ASM #252, MTU #141 and SW #8. They all came back with a 9.4.

I also sent a few Thor (4), Captain America (4) and Spawn (2). I was less serious with my selection when I bought them. But guess what? Two were rated 9.8, five 9.6, one 9.4 and the last two 9.2. Funny, isn’t?

I am not complaining. Overall, I am satisfied by the grade. I understand that grading is subjective. It is like wine tasting!

And also, I want to keep my modern Spidey, but sell the others.

I am a long time collector, but my interest for slabbing comics is fairly recent. The grading game is not the same as in the eighties. However, I learned a lot since I submit books to CGC and compare the results afterwards.

Edited by Pangolin

17 hours ago, Pangolin said:

I have a similar background as you. I sent over 50 comics to CGC in the past months. The funniest thing is that I carefully choose my Spider-Man comics at my LCS since I am a big fan. So I sent a few like ASM #300, ASM #252, MTU #141 and SW #8. They all came back with a 9.4.

I also sent a few Thor (4), Captain America (4) and Spawn (2). I was less serious with my selection when I bought them. But guess what? Two were rated 9.8, five 9.6, one 9.4 and the last two 9.2. Funny, isn’t?

I am not complaining. Overall, I am satisfied by the grade. I understand that grading is subjective. It is like wine tasting!

And also, I want to keep my modern Spidey, but sell the others.

I am a long time collector, but my interest for slabbing comics is fairly recent. The grading game is not the same as in the eighties. However, I learned a lot since I submit books to CGC and compare the results afterwards.

First of all, your grades are excellent - it's obvious that you preserved your comics very well.  Second of all, as you noted, things are much different than the 80's. Non-colorbreaking damage was almost completely overlooked then (or at least considered to lower the grade very, very little.) And there was nothing above NM. Finally, the CGC era has ushered in fugly miscut or otherwise defective 9.8s while taking a perfectly cut, perfectly centered book down to 9.4 for one color breaking back cover 1/16th inch crease.  Once you learn the system, I believe you will do very well, because you already have the chops as it relates to selecting high grade books and preserving them. 

4 hours ago, seanfingh said:

First of all, your grades are excellent - it's obvious that you preserved your comics very well.  Second of all, as you noted, things are much different than the 80's. Non-colorbreaking damage was almost completely overlooked then (or at least considered to lower the grade very, very little.) And there was nothing above NM. Finally, the CGC era has ushered in fugly miscut or otherwise defective 9.8s while taking a perfectly cut, perfectly centered book down to 9.4 for one color breaking back cover 1/16th inch crease.  Once you learn the system, I believe you will do very well, because you already have the chops as it relates to selecting high grade books and preserving them. 

I agree that my grades are excellent. 99 % of my comics were read only once and some of them never (bought 2-3 copies of some). The goal of my story was to show that I selectively purchased my Spider-Man unlike Captain America and I obtained somewhat lower grades with Spidey. Even worse, my ASM were bagged and boarded while my Captain America were only bagged. So I now have the first apparition of Crossbone with a 9,8 but a lower grade for 1st Venom...:ohnoez: