• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Very Disappointing First and Last Experience
3 3

172 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Mully79 is a troll and best ignored. Who needs the aggravation? I hope his books fall in the tub of water he can soak his head in.

downloadfile-1.gif.4e549f805cf08e400aa7104b4eef5b3a.gif

The waters great! Dive on in.. Yes a lot of times trolls are only good for ignoring ,  others it provides hours or in this case pages of entertainment. Besides I think the only one truly aggravated was the OP..

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

It's too bad things progressed the way they did.  The OP was expecting people to beat him up for his over-grading, so did not want to present any info beyond grader notes on a book we can't see.  I realize he can't show the photos because the book hasn't even been received back yet, and he probably wouldn't have known to take photos before shipping.

But I think he would have gotten an equal amount of empathy and criticism.  There are a lot of us who sent stuff in with high expectations, only to be mortally wounded.  And the graders can be off now and then, a bit.  But he was so defensive, and then offensive, that nothing good came of it.

I send large bunches of books in, so my hopes are not riding on a single comic only.  I don't photograph them ahead, as most are not crazy-expensive to begin with, but I do keep a log of what grade I THINK they should get.  The results usually get divided into 3 roughly equal segments: a third a bit lower, a third a bit higher, a third dead on.  That's probably the best I am going to get.  So far, the worst has been a projected 9.2 that came back 8.0, and I think that was due to some areas of light foxing that I didn't give enough weight to.  The best was a projected 7.5 that came back 9.6.  What I was taking points off for probably turned out to be considered a manufacturing defect, so not counted so much.  You have to take the bad with the good.

38 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

It's too bad things progressed the way they did.  The OP was expecting people to beat him up for his over-grading, so did not want to present any info beyond grader notes on a book we can't see.  I realize he can't show the photos because the book hasn't even been received back yet, and he probably wouldn't have known to take photos before shipping.

But I think he would have gotten an equal amount of empathy and criticism.  There are a lot of us who sent stuff in with high expectations, only to be mortally wounded.  And the graders can be off now and then, a bit.  But he was so defensive, and then offensive, that nothing good came of it.

I send large bunches of books in, so my hopes are not riding on a single comic only.  I don't photograph them ahead, as most are not crazy-expensive to begin with, but I do keep a log of what grade I THINK they should get.  The results usually get divided into 3 roughly equal segments: a third a bit lower, a third a bit higher, a third dead on.  That's probably the best I am going to get.  So far, the worst has been a projected 9.2 that came back 8.0, and I think that was due to some areas of light foxing that I didn't give enough weight to.  The best was a projected 7.5 that came back 9.6.  What I was taking points off for probably turned out to be considered a manufacturing defect, so not counted so much.  You have to take the bad with the good.

great post.

Perhaps the OP can learn from this fine example.

On 6/7/2020 at 10:39 AM, joeypost said:

I often wondered about this. Many times I have sent in invoices that I thought were identical in grade (these were pre-screens). One invoice has few failures while the next has 25% or more. I find that I get a pass rate of at least 50% on my pre-screen failures the second time around. Thank you for your insight, it has helped clear up things in my mind. 

You're certainly welcome!   :foryou: 

Of course, a pre-screen can be tricky as well. In fact, I remember approaching those a bit differently due to the sheer volume that can be involved. Since the strategy is to eliminate any books that fall below the desired grade (let's say the desired grade is 9.8), I found it easier to quickly reject books that were obviously not 9.8's due to a noticeable flaw or flaws on the front cover---there's no need to look any further. Once that was accomplished, I'd go through the remaining books in a more methodical fashion, gradually narrowing down the invoice until only the best candidates remained. Since time is always of the essence at CGC, this method seemed more efficient than trying to actually grade every book in the prescreen. If memory serves, the books that pass the initial prescreen aren't actually graded then---that happens later, and often by someone else. 

My feeling is that if a grader attempts to grade every book in a large prescreen, they're often likely to experience a sense of frustration, because they'll eventually start second guessing themselves. That can lead to a heightened sense of urgency to move through the prescreen quickly, and consequently certain books can be rejected which may have made the cut on a different day. This could also explain why some of the books you've submitted are initially rejected but ultimately approved the second time around. Looking at books a second time can offer a completely different perspective...

Edited by The Lions Den

2 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Mully's back with a new thread for all us mental deficients. :D

Thanks for the heads up.  I am now caught up.

This is like watching Days of Our Lives with my mom 30+ years ago.  Now I just need the popcorn.

:popcorn:

2 hours ago, Crops068 said:
4 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Mully's back with a new thread for all us mental deficients. :D

Thanks for the heads up.  I am now caught up.

This is like watching Days of Our Lives with my mom 30+ years ago.  Now I just need the popcorn.

:popcorn:

Can't wait for his next appearance. 

3 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

Well the other post has been yoinked by Mods.  Wonder if this one will get the same?

I hope so, because we'll see @Mully79 come back on an even bigger warpath (assuming the mods don't also send him to the chair).  Should make for plenty of continued amusement.

20 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

Well the other post has been yoinked by Mods.  Wonder if this one will get the same?

Sorry about that. I found the AI guy's information fascinating, and the ridiculous attempts to shut him up infuriating.