• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Underappreciated/Underused Marvel Bronze Age Artists
2 2

37 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, littledoom said:

Alfredo Alcala .. mainly known for Swamp Thing

Marvel’s Filipino artists were very talented guys. The same influx included Nino and Gan as well.

There’s one other, not yet mentioned, that I’ll leave open.

Edited by Ken Aldred

14 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

For me, it's Mike Ploog. Okay, he's not underappreciated but he definitely was underutilized

Yup. Possibly a little overshadowed by Wrightson at DC, but still highly regarded.

I recently read his Werewolf and Ghost Rider issues again, and although his later artwork started to more closely resemble Wrightson's style, I'd forgotten just how much of his earlier work closely resembled that of his mentor, Will Eisner.  A noticeable change from urban noir to gothic in tone.

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Marvel’s Filipino artists were very talented guys. The same influx included Nino and Gan as well.

There’s one other, not yet mentioned, that I’ll leave open.

Yu, and Tan are more modern comic book artists .. there's many

1 hour ago, Brian48 said:

I'd add Tom Palmer onto the list as well.  His inks made every artist look better.   

Would add Dan Adkins inking John Buscema on Silver Surfer circa 1970. Dan Adkins also drew some Dr Strange covers on Strange Tales but that is going back to circa 1968.

6 hours ago, Brian48 said:

Agreed with all mentioned.  I'd add Tom Palmer onto the list as well.  His inks made every artist look better.   

Palmer's one of the most talented inkers ever to work in comics.

John Buscema, Neal Adams, Gil Kane, Gene Colan - never failed to enhance the pencil artwork.

On 6/4/2020 at 5:45 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Someone I believe really is underrated is Keith Pollard, who did superb work on Thor's Eternals and Ragnarok / Ring Cycle Saga.

Plus his 1978-81 work on Thor and as regular penciller on the Fantastic Four and Amazing-Spider-Man.

On 6/5/2020 at 11:07 AM, seanfingh said:

Oh, yeah. Prolific for both DC and Marvel. Did soooo much cover inking between 75-78. Good call.

Ernie Chan became DC's primary cover artist of the mid-'70s (following Nick Cardy -- early '70s).  That's why there were so many Chan-pencilled DC covers from 1975-76-77.  Around '78 and onward he was working primarily on Marvel titles.

And it's few and far between that the same answer to 'One of my favorite Marvel Bronze Age Comic Magazine Cover Painters' and 'One of my favorite Men's Adventure Magazine Painters' happens, but Earl Norem is clearly one of my all time favorites in both and highly under talked about.

So glad I got to meet him at Heroes Con before he passed away a number of years ago.

Earl Norem 001.jpg

Earl Norem 002.jpg

Earl Norem 003.jpg

Earl Norem 004.jpg

Earl Norem 005.jpg

Earl Norem 008.jpg

Earl Norem 009.jpg

Earl Norem 006.jpg