• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody else collect The Champions?

16 posts in this topic

You'd think 2 X-men, Black Widow, Ghost Rider and Hercules would have a bigger following. I have amassed a fairly formidable set (yes even the one where they fought Godzilla) but I'm sure nobody cares lol

Am I the last Champions collector on Earth? (shrug)

Nope I have my original set from the 70's. I had the whole set up on my wall in my bedroom. As a teenager in the 70's I brought my girlfriend over and she see's those up on your wall, there might have been some laughter happening. 

Edited by vader2001

Only have the Byrne issues.  Otherwise, the interior art was a deterrent.  Nice Gil Kane cover.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I "collected" them because, I saw them in the LCS raw and said hey that looks high grade, at least in the 9's with that dark cover I bet that's hard so I'll give it a good home!

Subbed it, and it was harder in grade that I though!

3206902_Full_Obv.jpg

12 hours ago, dikran1 said:

You'd think 2 X-men, Black Widow, Ghost Rider and Hercules would have a bigger following. I have amassed a fairly formidable set (yes even the one where they fought Godzilla) but I'm sure nobody cares lol

Am I the last Champions collector on Earth? (shrug)

no, you're not the only one. Just bought this issue to help fill in the missing gapsimageproxy.jpg.cc9c6a5e361ee11f4ca1338da50a47a2.jpg

I really liked the Champions when I was a kid, although I didn't like the Heck art at all.  (Tuska I was fine with, since he also did Iron Man at the time.)

Byrne certainly elevated the title later on, but the group really lacked a central character that fans could get behind.  Ghost Rider was not made to be in a team book. Too many B and C listers otherwise.

Dan

I bought most of the 17 issues off the racks as a kid in grade school. Went back and filled in the gaps and read it end to end. Doesn't really hold together. Like many short-lived series, creators' inability to find a cohesive direction is pretty apparent. That said, the cover to #1 is striking. The gem of the series is issue 16, which is a two-part story that crosses over into Super-Villain Team-Up 14. Dr Doom takes over the world with some mind-control gas. Somehow, Magneto is resistant. He attempts to free the Avengers but manages only to free the Beast from the effects. Then they track down the Champions to free them and mount a resistance. Something like that. Surprised it's never been reprinted; fun little, under the radar Doom vs Magneto story.