• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you open this sealed Spider-Man comic?
3 3

65 posts in this topic

Hello,

This appears to be a Purina giveaway of some kind back in the 80s.  The envelope description says ‘Option - D’ and is sealed in the original Ralston Purina envelope.  I’m guessing perhaps they ran a redemption program where you could choose a gift.

Based on what I can see through the envelope, this is Amazing Spider-Man 252 and is obviously unread.  I also don’t see any mailing or folding creases on the package itself, but who knows how the corners of the book are to this point.  I’m also sure the pages are no longer white at this point. 😝

I’d really like to open and slab it (I don’t own a copy of ASM 252) but there is also something unique about the book’s present state.  🤓

Would you open it?  I’m super tempted.

829EE055-8E51-4C92-A3FB-F1F4141FED47.jpeg

66E90287-5ACD-43C6-B017-019ED12BFA10.jpeg

AD22DEA6-F1C4-405B-8181-59C525B4ADA8.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

My dog would.

I apologize, I could not resist.

Just don't let Mike's @comicdonna dog get close to it 

imageproxy.jpg.bf1b50ddd56b98439b8455048f69883a.jpg\

To OP:

And for me, no way I would open that.  There's a ton of slabbed and raw ASM 252s available.

I see this at one time sold on CC for $160 but unsure when.  Not sure if you bought it then or later.

Keep it sealed and let someone else speculate if you sell it.  

4 minutes ago, telerites said:

Just don't let Mike's @comicdonna dog get close to it 

imageproxy.jpg.bf1b50ddd56b98439b8455048f69883a.jpg\

To OP:

And for me, no way I would open that.  There's a ton of slabbed and raw ASM 252s available.

I see this at one time sold on CC for $160 but unsure when.  Not sure if you bought it then or later.

Keep it sealed and let someone else speculate if you sell it.  

The temptation is real.

Oddly enough, I can't find anything about Ralston/Purina giveaways in the 1980s on the Internet.  I may try to google the original recipient to find out if they are still alive and whether or not they remember the story behind it. 

I'm imagining this was discovered stored away at some estate sale and sold/traded by collectors ever since, including CC.

2 minutes ago, XxSpideyxX said:

The temptation is real.

Oddly enough, I can't find anything about Ralston/Purina giveaways in the 1980s on the Internet.  I may try to google the original recipient to find out if they are still alive and whether or not they remember the story behind it. 

I'm imagining this was discovered stored away at some estate sale and sold/traded by collectors ever since, including CC.

Which is why I would not open it.  The CC listing does not give any real detail other noting the mailer and that it is a cool item.

I like the eclectic.

2 minutes ago, telerites said:

Which is why I would not open it.  The CC listing does not give any real detail other noting the mailer and that it is a cool item.

I like the eclectic.

I guess CC and/or the buyer is banking on it being a 9.4-9.6 for it to have sold for $160?

2 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Definitely don't open it. You can pick up an ASM #252 any day of the week. This is different, potentially unique. 

I've never heard of a promotional version of this issue from Ralston Purina so my assumption is that it is a regular direct edition copy (I can just make out the Spidey UPC in your first image). Can you see any evidence through the envelope to suggest otherwise @XxSpideyxX?

The closeup picture I posted is what is visible under normal lighting.  But I may try to hold it up to the sun or try a flashlight.  Maybe a scanner would reveal more?