• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Chicago - August 20-23, 2020
1 1

81 posts in this topic

Hello everybody,

It's a tough to make a call.   COVID-19 and BLM protests are still going on in Chicago.   Now, it's 75 days away from the doors being opened at the convention.

The show has not cancelled so what is your gut telling you?   I would go there on Thursday for few hours (my max time) to avoid overcrowding on Friday to Sunday.

Only on thing that I am interested in is back issues only.  I am not sure about the well known dealers will be there but I will ask them first before purchasing the ticket.

What do you think?

Edited by JollyComics

According to the convention center website, They are going to resume events as of July 17 

according TO ww THE EVENT IS ON 

However, as noted with the ongoing protests, and unknown covid situation its impossible to guARENTEE ANYTHING 

Chicago currently has no travel restriction and has supposedly passed into stage 3 which allows Hotels and Restaurants to open with restrictions .

Below  is the current status of Chicago from the cities website . Read the last 2 carefully. There is no way I can make plans based on the current information Especially as the city has reserved the right to close events . 

I know wizard is trying their best, But This event seems unlikely 

I will also note that many cities and states have simply outright banned "Super-Spreader" events (Not my term ) until at least 2021 

personally, I love this show, but I have had to pass 

FROM THE WEBSITE:

• Most public gatherings of more than 10 people are currently cancelled until further notice.
  • Mayor Lori Lightfoot has ordered Chicago’s entire lakefront trail, adjacent parks, 606 Trail, and Riverwalk closed until further notice. The closures include all trails, bike paths, green spaces, facilities, and parks adjacent to the lakefront.
  • Illinois state parks will be open for limited use. All shelters, playgrounds and visitors centers will remain closed until further notice. Concessions will be open at all sites.
  • All major sporting events with large spectator crowds are cancelled until further notice. This includes school and college events as well as major league sporting events.
  • All attractions and events are subject to changes and closures. We strongly recommend confirming the status of attractions and upcoming events by reaching out directly to the attraction, venue, or ticket provider before proceeding.

From the Rosemont website regarding the Donald E Stephens center :

https://www.dailyherald.com/business/20200506/pandemic-an-unprecedented-challenge-for-convention-centers-in-rosemont-schaumburg?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

It seems to me Rosemont is  shooting for a Fall re-opening 

WW seems right at the edge

They seem to have a fairly impressive guest list, so Maybe 

Edited by Golden Memories

I’m of the belief that most big shows this year are toast one way or another. Hard pill to swallow but probably inevitable. 

I seriously doubt many of the larger dealers of vintage comics will be putting out the money or traveling to these shows. As a serious collector, I want to see a large group of good dealers. I doubt I will. That and even the slightest chance of getting this virus without a hazmat suit really makes for a less than pleasurable experience. 

As a seller of comics and vintage toys and collectibles, I have written off setting up at any, especially indoor shows. Probably wouldn’t be worth my time with this virus floating around and an extremely depressed economy. 

Those who feel different are welcome to it. I just don’t think it makes any sense. 

22 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I’m of the belief that most big shows this year are toast one way or another. Hard pill to swallow but probably inevitable. 

I seriously doubt many of the larger dealers of vintage comics will be putting out the money or traveling to these shows. As a serious collector, I want to see a large group of good dealers. I doubt I will. That and even the slightest chance of getting this virus without a hazmat suit really makes for a less than pleasurable experience. 

As a seller of comics and vintage toys and collectibles, I have written off setting up at any, especially indoor shows. Probably wouldn’t be worth my time with this virus floating around and an extremely depressed economy. 

Those who feel different are welcome to it. I just don’t think it makes any sense. 

Yeah, I don't see it, either. Rosemont would have to abide by the State of Illinois reopening phases. Phase 4 allows for gatherings of 50 people or fewer, assuming Rosemont meets the criteria by August

https://coronavirus.illinois.gov/s/restore-illinois-phase-4?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=SpurrierIllinois_Governers_Office

I would be stunned if we're at Phase 5 by the end of August

According to the website; Phase 5 is "Post Pandemic"  which are not achievable in the near future 

Personally I think we are  already Post-pandemic, Judging by the mass gatherings with seemingly no effect in every major city in the USA 

HOW WE MOVE TO THE NEXT PHASE

Post-pandemic: Vaccine, effective and widely available treatment, or the elimination of new cases over a sustained period of time through herd immunity or other factors.

Vaccine at least a year away if at all

Treatments already available, 

What is a "sustained period of time" 

This just reads as "When I feel Like it" 

5 hours ago, Golden Memories said:

According to the website; Phase 5 is "Post Pandemic"  which are not achievable in the near future 

Personally I think we are  already Post-pandemic, Judging by the mass gatherings with seemingly no effect in every major city in the USA 

Post-pandemic: Vaccine, effective and widely available treatment, or the elimination of new cases over a sustained period of time through herd immunity or other factors.

You really think we are “post-pandemic”? My state just fairly recently opened up. People are running around in wild abandon with no masks. This combined with 1,000’s of people protesting, and possibly a huge number of new cases in a few weeks. A recipie for disaster. All over the country. And cases are rising in many states. Or maybe not, but I am not counting on it. 

“Post-Pandemic” is just wishful thinking right now. 

I have been pondering a trip up for this, but may just visit in late July or early August to get a dose of Chicago food and visit some friends, and punt any thought of attending the show. My last WW Chicago was 2017, and I am in serious withdrawal. :frown:

On 6/8/2020 at 12:17 PM, Robot Man said:

I'm a rinky-dink dealer, and I was going to do Keystone this year, but even if it isn't canceled, I'm 99% sure I won't be there. Obviously my health and the health of the people who would be with me (and my family and their families) are incredibly important and I don't want anyone to get this virus. That being said, attendance will certainly be significantly lower than in the past, whether it's due to the virus fears or restrictions on how many people can be in the hall at any one time. Add that to the depressed economy that you spoke of, what's the benefit of doing it? 

4 hours ago, RCheli said:

I'm a rinky-dink dealer, and I was going to do Keystone this year, but even if it isn't canceled, I'm 99% sure I won't be there. Obviously my health and the health of the people who would be with me (and my family and their families) are incredibly important and I don't want anyone to get this virus. That being said, attendance will certainly be significantly lower than in the past, whether it's due to the virus fears or restrictions on how many people can be in the hall at any one time. Add that to the depressed economy that you spoke of, what's the benefit of doing it? 

I think that is what most people will decide once they do the math. Our next shows on the schedule are in August, and local, so we can wait and see. But if we had to travel any real distances I'd be strongly inclined to cancel if it were possible to get the money back (or transfer it to the next event). Even if shows are held in 2020, and that is a big if, I can't imagine attendance and sales would be any better than staying home and selling online in a much safer (and pajama friendly) environment. Unless there is a serious breakthrough on a vaccine or treatment it may well be Spring 2021 for shows to start ramping back up.

On 6/9/2020 at 2:23 PM, Golden Memories said:

Hmm, you’re kidding right?

I live in a major city, and the number of new infections per day is TWICE what it was one month ago ....

7 hours ago, MusterMark said:

Hmm, you’re kidding right?

I live in a major city, and the number of new infections per day is TWICE what it was one month ago ....

Same in my not-so-major city, but the testing data from protesters in Minneapolis and Boston is so far running only 1% infection rate per an article I read this morning.

2 hours ago, mysterio said:

Same in my not-so-major city, but the testing data from protesters in Minneapolis and Boston is so far running only 1% infection rate per an article I read this morning.

How many of those young kids are even going to get tested?  The amount of new cases in AZ and many Southern states are surging badly right now. Don’t get too comfortable yet...

On 6/9/2020 at 2:23 PM, Golden Memories said:

Yeah I greatly disagree with this.. especially "post" .. more surge/spike in cases/deaths due to so many factors... Maybe that's particular to that area of town where you got that info from.. but in other parts it's not the case