• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Chicago - August 20-23, 2020
1 1

81 posts in this topic

The state of Ill has just moved into Phase 4

I have posted a link to Phase 4 Guidelines which clearly state that events which are Standing room only are not permitted

Although the  guidelines are  contradictory and confusing , One thing is certain, If the show happens, attendance will be limited, 

and covid guidelines will be in effect 

https://dceocovid19resources.com/assets/Restore-Illinois/businessguidelines4/phase4overview.pdf

However Covid is now spiking in about half the U.S states and Ill seems be on teetering with mixed statistics 

I agree that Rosemont would be a much safer venue as it is much more spread out then downtown 

On 7/18/2020 at 9:39 AM, mysterio said:

Surprised this hasn’t been canceled yet. I definitely would have lost the pool on this...

I am kind of assuming that Wizard might be joining the list of things going out of business if they can't do the show this year. This had to be the last possible way they could make any real money and they have been on life support for years and years. It will be sad when this show doesn't exist any further. I love C2E2 as well, but Rosemont really makes this show more fun and a seemingly better time. 

20 minutes ago, carcrawfordfan said:

I am kind of assuming that Wizard might be joining the list of things going out of business if they can't do the show this year. This had to be the last possible way they could make any real money and they have been on life support for years and years. It will be sad when this show doesn't exist any further. I love C2E2 as well, but Rosemont really makes this show more fun and a seemingly better time. 

Wizard very well might go out of business, but I can’t see this con going away. Someone else will pick it up. Thanks it is too big and to well established. At one time, this was THE place to buy vintage comics. But like most big shows it has only gotton bigger due to the fact it is more of a media show rather than a comic show. 

The problem I see is the economy is in the toilet right now. Who is going to be able to or want to buy this show? 

It might lake some time, but I predict some one will eventually pick it up. 

It’s toast this year and should be until we get the upper hand on this virus...

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Wizard very well might go out of business, but I can’t see this con going away. Someone else will pick it up. Thanks it is too big and to well established. At one time, this was THE place to buy vintage comics. But like most big shows it has only gotton bigger due to the fact it is more of a media show rather than a comic show. 

The problem I see is the economy is in the toilet right now. Who is going to be able to or want to buy this show? 

It might lake some time, but I predict some one will eventually pick it up. 

It’s toast this year and should be until we get the upper hand on this virus...

Yeah, i would guess someone else would buy it or run a similar show. I have zero doubt about that. It is just sad that it is probably done in it's current form and Wizard is probably done as well.

I'll be at the old stockyards hanging with the very well aged Mr Upon Sinclair and we will having a free signing if your in the area. He will be doing a little reading and then some Q and A concerning some of his quotes...

• “Fascism is capitalism plus murder.” ― …
  • It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

One of the necessary accompaniments of capitalism in a democracy is political corruption.

And many more!

We will have potluck happening if anyone wants to contribute.

I'll be bringing the rocks so whatever else is welcome!

IMG_2204.JPG

10 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

It’s possible that returning money is delaying the announcement of cancellation. 

It's also possible that Wizard's sheer ineptitude is behind the delay.

Like all their other scheduling announcements, I expect this cancellation to be announced 6 days before the show should take place.

I don’t think you can pin the delay in cancellation on Wizard at all. If you look at the link to the Rosemont events list https://www.rosemont.com/desconvention/events/ none of the events following WWC are cancelled at this point either. Knowing how things have gone to date, it seems unlikely that they will be allowed by the state to reopen the convention center as planned. Given what will be additional millions in losses between everyone involved through that schedule, I can’t blame them for holding some hope. 

Reading the State guideline, It is impossible to figure out weather the show will be allowed at 50%capacity, allowed at 25% capacity or not allowed at all . There are also a bunch of difficult to understand guidelines to follow if the show takes place 

Wizard has not posted any covid warnings , guidelines or disclaimers  on their show site which is disturbing 

It is obvious that if the DES website still has the show scheduled that they know something we don't 

As far as the delay in announcing. it is possible that WW is waiting to hear from the insurance companies, or, trying to work something out with the DES center I doubt this is ineptitude. 

There are also 2 wild cards "

The Covid spikes which started In the Southern states Have been Moving North and the situation is extremely fluid, so an Illinois spike will certainly Guarentee cancellation. As of July 16 the Governer announced there were in fact some districts which were spiking and the rolling positive rate is trending up,  and that he may go back to closing some of these districts. he specifically mentions cook county (Rosemont is in Cook County) as hardest hit . 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/2020/7/15/21325986/chicago-suburbs-regions-pritzker-reopening-restore-covid-19-coronavirus

Lastly, what scares me, is that sometime during the show, someone who attended will wind up in the E.R (a real possibility based on the numbers)What then?  Does the city shut the show? Will the dealers be forced into 14 day Quarentine ? remember the cruise ships? 

As it stands now, I would say the hopes are fading, Not to be negative, I am sincerely hoping this show happens, I will not be there, But if they can pull this off in Chicago It will send a signal to other large cities, that its possible to hold a safe event 

I'd agree that this probably isn't ineptitude on Wizard's part. Even perfectly ept companies are unable to plan effectively for a situation that is literally evolving day by day. I imagine that they are either waiting on insurance, the government to shut down gatherings that will allow them to get out of a contract (or at least relief), or some hail-mary vaccine/treatment that will reduce/eliminate their risk. I wouldn't be going this year either, and I am a pessimist when it comes to this show happening, but I do want to see a healthy (no pun intended) summer show stay on the schedule in Chicago.

4 hours ago, mysterio said:

I'd agree that this probably isn't ineptitude on Wizard's part. Even perfectly ept companies are unable to plan effectively for a situation that is literally evolving day by day. I imagine that they are either waiting on insurance, the government to shut down gatherings that will allow them to get out of a contract (or at least relief), or some hail-mary vaccine/treatment that will reduce/eliminate their risk. I wouldn't be going this year either, and I am a pessimist when it comes to this show happening, but I do want to see a healthy (no pun intended) summer show stay on the schedule in Chicago.

If they don't do this show they most likely will be out of business.