• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best bronze age writer?

113 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Zonker said:

O'Neil in walk.

But did you mean the Better of the two, or the Best in the Bronze Age?  I would think Archie Goodwin, Steve Englehart, Steve Gerber would all be contenders before even considering Conway.  And that assumes we're stopping the Bronze Age before we get to the 1980s and Alan Moore's arrival on the scene.  Len Wein said reading Moore's scripts made him realize he (Wein) was obsolete as a comics scripter.  Moore is definitely post Bronze Age in my book.

Zonker is right on here.  Of the two O'Neil in a landslide.  But Starlin and Claremont above them, and if you include Moore and Miller at the end of the Bronze Age, then one of them.

2 hours ago, Zonker said:

O'Neil in walk.

But did you mean the Better of the two, or the Best in the Bronze Age?  I would think Archie Goodwin, Steve Englehart, Steve Gerber would all be contenders before even considering Conway.  And that assumes we're stopping the Bronze Age before we get to the 1980s and Alan Moore's arrival on the scene.  Len Wein said reading Moore's scripts made him realize he (Wein) was obsolete as a comics scripter.  Moore is definitely post Bronze Age in my book.

Big Englegart fan-even of his novel-but overall the work Denny did on GL/GA IMO tops him.  Barely.  Englehart single handeldly revamped the Avengers.
Alan Moore, IMO had only 2 hits-watchmen and miracleman.  His other stuff IMO is pretentious nonsense.

Edited by kav

2 minutes ago, 1313Main said:

Your opinion is ignorant because it is "lacking knowledge". It's obvious your Alan Moore knowledge is incomplete so your opinion is lacking the basic facts to coherently form said opinion. 

I have read pretty much everything alan moore has written including his lesser known works such as promethea, Top 10, abelard snazz etc.  I have been reading comics for 50 years, and average 2 regular books a week since the 4th grade.  I have also written drawn and edited over a thousand pages of comics and have been published in Mad Magazine and the overtsreet premium ring price guide.  You are ignorant about me.

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

Alan Moore I see primarily as being Copper Age onwards.

Thats what i think too.  

4 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Ditto.Copper Gaiman gets my nod.

And just to be contrary to all

Roy Thomas 

Roy Thomas is having a signing next Saturday at a LCS, thought about a signing a splash page of Savage Tales #1, but I think I may go with a certain Avengers book! :headbang: 

Splash Page here I come, I can agree there is a certain panache to Roy! :)  

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, kav said:
3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

but of the 2 listed, I might favor Conway.... :) 

you can favor who you want!

I'm ignorant too really, I'm just familiar more with Conway's work :shy: 

90b2522b365a581ea63bb2182cc382c0d2c6d6f7.gifv                                         EnergeticMammothBadger-small.gif

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

You can be familiar with who you want!!

14 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Ditto.Copper Gaiman gets my nod.

And just to be contrary to all

Roy Thomas 

11 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Roy Thomas is having a signing next Saturday at a LCS, thought about a signing a splash page of Savage Tales #1, but I think I may go with a certain Avengers book! :headbang: 

Splash Page here I come, I can agree there is a certain panache to Roy! :)  

Very fond of his work on Avengers and Conan.

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

Very fond of his work on Avengers and Conan.

Conan was good but then again all he really had to do was edit REH.

1 minute ago, kav said:
3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

You can be familiar with who you want!!

anything you want, you got it!

Anything at all, You Got It :banana: