• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best bronze age writer?

113 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, EC Star&Bar said:

I also liked Michael Fleisher

His Jonah Hex stories were consistently good, and, even more so, his Spectre stories in Adventure Comics an all-time classic version of the spirit of vengeance.

16 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

His Jonah Hex stories were consistently good, and, even more so, his Spectre stories in Adventure Comics an all-time classic version of the spirit of vengeance.

@Hudson

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

Jonah Hex had some great story lines.   Probably why it survived as long as it did, even though it was a western and those had fallen out of favor.  

6 minutes ago, Hudson said:

Jonah Hex had some great story lines.   Probably why it survived as long as it did, even though it was a western and those had fallen out of favor.  

Jonah Hex 87 - Dick Giordano

49 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

I never hear Don Glut mentioned very much (don't know if he's been mentioned in this thread) but he wrote a ton of really fun stuff. 

Have you ever seen some of his fan films he did in the 60s?  Here is the Spider-Man in the spoiler.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, telerites said:

Have you ever seen some of his fan films he did in the 60s?  Here is the Spider-Man in the spoiler.

Hide contents

wow better than the TV show.

9 minutes ago, telerites said:

Hide contents

Yikes! lol  

Edited by Jeffro.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

wow better than the TV show.

I used to think the show was so campy when I watched it in the 70s.  I have actually started a rewatch and I have gained new respect for it.  It was easier to Hulk out than shoot webs with the SFX at the time.  I didn't like making JJJ much less abrasive in the show.

On Glut, he was really a pioneer.  He started making those films in the 50s.  One I remember seeing was Superman. He of course went to a professional writing and directing career.

On 6/6/2020 at 9:14 PM, kav said:

I didnt really care for it as it seemed like the last episode of seinfeld where they tried to cameo/recap as many old characters as they could.  It wasnt awful.

I loved Moore's farewell to Silver/Bronze Age Superman, but I didn't care for Seinfeld's finale!  Certainly you're welcome not to have liked the story, but it did precede the last episode of Seinfeld by a dozen years.  Reminds me of when I played Led Zeppelin for a Gen Z'er and they thought they were too derivative of Greta Van Fleet! :wink:

1 minute ago, Coverless 9.8 said:

I loved Moore's farewell to Silver/Bronze Age Superman, but I didn't care for Seinfeld's finale!  Certainly you're welcome not to have liked the story, but it did precede the last episode of Seinfeld by a dozen years.  Reminds me of when I played Led Zeppelin for a Gen Z'er and they thought they were too derivative of Greta Van Fleet! :wink:

I probably need to give it a reread-I'm relying on an old memory.

1 hour ago, kav said:

I probably need to give it a reread-I'm relying on an old memory.

One of the only two comics that ever brought me to tears, both by Alan Moore.  The sacrifice of Krypto, and his homage to Walt Kelly's Pogo in Swamp Thing called Pog.  Giddy up! :wink: