• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best bronze age writer?

113 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, kav said:

Conan was good but then again all he really had to do was edit REH.

I thought that truthfully might describe a lot of Roy Thomas, as of what I know, but ehh still gets a shout :)  

1 minute ago, kav said:

Happy memories of reading Conan as a kid, and Savage Sword as well.  The first long run of comics I assembled, from 1 to 100.

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

anything you want, you got it!

Anything at all, You Got It :banana: 

Any way you want it thats the way you need it any way you want it OOOOOOHH!

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

Happy memories of reading Conan as a kid, and Savage Sword as well.  The first long run of comics I assembled, from 1 to 100.

No one could have pulled that off besides barry smith.  He really captured that character and world.

1 minute ago, kav said:

No one could have pulled that off besides barry smith.  He really captured that character and world.

Roy Thomas and John Buscema worked well together, matched with an artist of incredible range, capable of depicting both super-heroics in The Avengers and barbarian adventures in Conan.

8 minutes ago, kav said:

I can respect that, I also respect that as editor he was "involved" in a lot of ground breaking stuff...

I still might give more creedance to a Len wen or Conway but idk

3 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Chris Claremont 

‘nuff said

He was brilliant.  With Byrne, even better.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

I can respect that, I also respect that as editor he was "involved" in a lot of ground breaking stuff...

I still might give more creedance to a Len wen or Conway but idk

You can respect what you want!

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Roy Thomas and John Buscema worked well together, matched with an artist of incredible range, capable of depicting both super-heroics in The Avengers and barbarian adventures in Conan.

But the baroque designs Smith brought to the book-Buscema just couldnt match that.  The clothing, buildings, gems, weapons, various races-it was all such an incredible capturing of the Hyborean world.

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:
4 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Chris Claremont 

‘nuff said

He was brilliant.  With Byrne, even better

There is a lot to the Bronze age, what seemingly was "idea men", I wonder if further ages of comics will be appreciated as well :) 

Thomas did do a great job of his original Conan stories tho-like the Elric story.  "Your eyes pierce my spine Conan".  Great writing there.

There is a lot to the Bronze age, what seemingly was "idea men", I wonder if further ages of comics will be appreciated as well :) 

You can wonder if you want!

Just now, kav said:

Thomas did do a great job of his original Conan stories tho-like the Elric story.  "Your eyes pierce my spine Conan".  Great writing there.

I wasn't sure if Swamp Thing was directly related to Thomas, may be the limit of my known scope, but his name is on a lot of StUfF :roflmao: 

I wasn't sure if Swamp Thing was directly related to Thomas, may be the limit of my known scope, but his name is on a lot of StUfF :roflmao: 

STFU?

1 minute ago, kav said:
2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

You can wonder if you want!

You Can TOO! :tink: 

2 minutes ago, kav said:
3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

STFU?

:roflmao: naw I'm just discovering it which is fine haha

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

:roflmao: naw I'm just discovering it which if fine haha

You can discover  it which if fine haha if you want!

3 minutes ago, kav said:
4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

STFU?

:roflmao: naw I'm just discovering it which is fine haha

Edited just now by ADAMANTIUM

but no I wasn't trying to say STFU my bad