• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The value of First appearances had they appeared in other runs
2 2

39 posts in this topic

I am just curious what you think the difference in value of a character had they first appeared in another book

For example, had Thanos appeared in Amazing Spider-Man instead of Ironman 55

Had Kingpin first appeared in Daredevil instead of ASM 50

Had Deathstroke first appeared in Batman instead of Teen Titans 2

Had Darkseid first appeared in Superman instead of Forever People

Just a friendly game and 9.8 values for a ballpark

Let's be honest, you can't say there wouldn't be a difference because there are at least two Spiderman bronze age characters whose first appearance values are 3 times the value of Ironman 55

Morbius

Punisher

There are many factors in determining the value of a first appearance and one of them is where they featured

That's a tough question, a lot of variables and speculation.  Like if Nolan Ryan had blown out his arm, could he then possibly be a great right fielder? 

The Spider-Man first appearances you mention may be worth more just because they are Spider-Man issues.  More people collect Spider-Man, so more pressure on any of the issues.  Add something important to that, and there you go, off and running.

Certainly if Thanos had appeared first in a Spider-Man comic, that Spider-Man issue would take a huge leap.  But it already would have had a head start just being part of the Spider-Man line. 

The question becomes: would the increase in value from the base value be more if the character appeared in a higher popularity comic?  I would think so, for the same reason as above, more people to like it. 

And of course it depends on the character - are they likeable, how interesting are they, how are they portrayed, do they get their own title, etc.

12 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

That's a tough question, a lot of variables and speculation.  Like if Nolan Ryan had blown out his arm, could he then possibly be a great right fielder? 

The Spider-Man first appearances you mention may be worth more just because they are Spider-Man issues.  More people collect Spider-Man, so more pressure on any of the issues.  Add something important to that, and there you go, off and running.

Certainly if Thanos had appeared first in a Spider-Man comic, that Spider-Man issue would take a huge leap.  But it already would have had a head start just being part of the Spider-Man line. 

The question becomes: would the increase in value from the base value be more if the character appeared in a higher popularity comic?  I would think so, for the same reason as above, more people to like it. 

And of course it depends on the character - are they likeable, how interesting are they, how are they portrayed, do they get their own title, etc.

Would it be easier to answer if we asked, what universe would have profited a character more? Would be hard to pin down, but say daredevil in thor as say a seer for thor? Even though hes blind and has the same origin he currently has?

That might be fun, cause since they're both marvel, it could still happen?

Personally I think wolvie in incredible hulk was a Good match

Maybe we could think of it as characters that w,aren't hot at first because their 1st appearance is meh

Lol

If they appeared the same way in a different book at the time, it would have been a better fit or match idk

It's an interesting thread:)

8 minutes ago, littledoom said:

I think about this inquiry all the time... good 

I think about it. Not all the time. Different titles can help or hurt. Might be a big difference in print run. What hurts a book even worse is a cover. If xmen 244 had a great cover I think it would be worth more than 221. Crazy a villain is worth more than a hero but that cover is awful. Higher print run as well I would guess but still. Iron 55 avg 10 dc 26 all bad covers. If hulk 181 had a terrible cover without him on it I believe it would be worth less. 

1 minute ago, Myowncollector said:

I think about it. Not all the time. Different titles can help or hurt. Might be a big difference in print run. What hurts a book even worse is a cover. If xmen 244 had a great cover I think it would be worth more than 221. Crazy a villain is worth more than a hero but that cover is awful. Higher print run as well I would guess but still. Iron 55 avg 10 dc 26 all bad covers. If hulk 181 had a terrible cover without him on it I believe it would be worth less. 

So some may end up like NM 98 with major characters in a well printed sold comic resulting in the value that we categorize the copper age....

If bronze was marketed the same that would be unfortunate

I was initially thinking the silver age which ma be too "early" for this line of questioning  lol

1 hour ago, Myowncollector said:

I think this factor definitely hurts Strange Tales 110. 

52 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i don't think it would make much of a difference but good thread ! something i never thought about before...

I'm not sure I can agree with you

Take Amazing Spider-Man 101 for instance, in a grade 9.8 it is about double the value of a Ironman 55. Now there are numerous things to take into consideration when value is determined of a book, but when it comes to character, I would have to say Morbius is not as iconic as Thanos.

57 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Take Amazing Spider-Man 101 for instance, in a grade 9.8 it is about double the value of a Ironman 55. Now there are numerous things to take into consideration when value is determined of a book, but when it comes to character, I would have to say Morbius is not as iconic as Thanos.

The hype on Thanos is over

Morbius is the new hype

What were 9.8 ASM 101s going for when IM 55 first popped?

3 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

The hype on Thanos is over

Morbius is the new hype

What were 9.8 ASM 101s going for when IM 55 first popped?

Remember the madness over Avengers 55? Whenever people talk about books going into the stratosphere and then falling spectacularly back to earth I think of that one. High-grade copies were going for insane prices when he was announced. Now you can barely give the book away. It's a good time to buy; I still think Ultron is a cool villain and one of the Avengers bigs.

12 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Tbh I think villains who appear in ASM rarely ever drop, at least SA

Kingpin was co-opted by Miller and has subsequently become more of a Daredevil villain, but any SA major first appearance benefits from being in the ASM run. There are just so many Spider-Man collectors out there. Add the iconic cover and number 50 just has a lot going for it.

5 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Agree😷

16 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

That's what I'm saying

If Thanos had first appeared in ASM instead of IM then we could be talking about a 20K key