• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Police Comics #1 8.5 on the bay
1 1

32 posts in this topic

Is this seller a board member?  It's the only auction they have listed on the bay and it's a pretty big book in that grade.  Any information on this auction helpful.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Police-Comics-1-1941-CGC-8-5-CR-OW-Pages-1st-Appearance-of-Plastic-Man/174306956665?hash=item2895811579:g:HZoAAOSwP79e2ZHN

1 hour ago, telerites said:
2 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Highest graded copy ?

According to the census there is a 9.4 and a 9.2 (unless the 9.4 was the 9.2 via CPR)

Definitely not the same copy as the CGC 9.4 graded copy is the Church copy which appears to have sold on 3 separate occasions through HA between the 2006 and 2014 time frame, each time in the $30K+ price range.  The CGC 9.2 graded copy is the Windy City copy which also sold on HA way back in 2002 for $19,550 and then resold a couple of years later for the lower price point of $14,950.  :(

Looks like the last big sale was the CGC 8.0 graded Billy Wright copy which sold for $11,950 or almost double condition guide which was then followed by a couple of mid-grade copies selling at multiples to condition guide over the past 2 years.  So, it will be interesting to see what this copy sells for, although I somehow suspect it might have done better if it was sold on one of the big 3 comic book auction sites instead.  hm  (shrug)

BTW:  Wasn't there supposedly rumours of a big screen Plastic Man movie in the works a couple of years ago or has this now been placed on long term hold with what's happening in this current pandemic driven business environment?  ???

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Definitely not the same copy as the CGC 9.4 graded copy is the Church copy which appears to have sold on 3 separate occasions through HA between the 2006 and 2014 time frame, each time in the $30K+ price range.  The CGC 9.2 graded copy is the Windy City copy which also sold on HA way back in 2002 for $19,550 and then resold a couple of years later for the lower price point of $14,950.  :(

Looks like the last big sale was the CGC 8.0 graded Billy Wright copy which sold for $11,950 or almost double condition guide which was then followed by a couple of mid-grade copies selling at multiples to condition guide over the past 2 years.  So, it will be interesting to see what this copy sells for, although I somehow suspect it might have done better if it was sold on one of the big 3 comic book auction sites instead.  hm  (shrug)

BTW:  Wasn't there supposedly rumours of a big screen Plastic Man movie in the works a couple of years ago or has this now been placed on long term hold with what's happening in this current pandemic driven business environment?  ???

That is correct, there was a movie announcement a couple years ago: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/plastic-man-movie-works-at-warner-bros-1167236

Hasn't been much discussion or updates about it as I recall since.

Edited by LDarkseid1

I was bullish on this book for many years and scooped up any copy I found wherever I could find them.  Prior to the last 6 months or so, I would have been very excited about this book but I think its favor in the marketplace has passed.  Its still an awesome book that was underappreciated for a long time and I'm excited to see what it sells for.

3 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I have always liked that book, I remember buying a copy for $90 dollars in the 70's in great shape and traded it a few months later. Never got a copy again. 

Well, it looks like you've got another chance now with this CGC 8.5 graded copy right here.  :gossip:  lol

And for those who don't have the same deep pockets as Mitch here, it seems as though CC has a CGC 5.5 graded copy being served up in their next Event Auction:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/883800

With either of these 2 copies being a good buy in the long run, I have always felt that Police Comics 1 is a much under appreciated book and seemingly almost forgotten GA key, especially in comparison to the much more high profile DC and Timely GA first apeearance books.  hm   :luhv:

I still remain somewhat bullish about this book as it does have the first appearances of Plastic Man and Phantom Lady.  But having the Firebrand featured on the cover doesn't help.

Like many books including Marvel Family 1, Captain Marvel Adventures 18, and Flash 86, it was undervalued and then the price went boom a bit too fast.  

2 hours ago, BakerFanOne said:

I still remain somewhat bullish about this book as it does have the first appearances of Plastic Man and Phantom Lady.  But having the Firebrand featured on the cover doesn't help.

Fully agree with you in terms of the key first appearances for this book here, but I guess if it had the classic Baker GGA version of Phantom Lady on the cover in the mode of PL 17 or PL 23, this book would not have seemingly been banished to the deep freeze for decades on end until a few years ago and would have been rightfully soaring in the stratosphere instead. (thumbsu

Like many books including Marvel Family 1, Captain Marvel Adventures 18, and Flash 86, it was undervalued and then the price went boom a bit too fast. 

I was definitely aware of Flash 86 just taking off like a rocket the past few years, but not so sure about these other books you mentioned here including the Police 1? (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Fully agree with you in terms of the key first appearances for this book here, but I guess if it had the classic Baker GGA version of Phantom Lady on the cover in the mode of PL 17 or PL 23, this book would not have seemingly been banished to the deep freeze for decades on end until a few years ago and would have been rightfully soaring in the stratosphere instead. (thumbsu

I was definitely aware of Flash 86 just taking off like a rocket the past few years, but not so sure about these other books you mentioned here including the Police 1? (shrug)

I picked up my first copy of Flash 86 from Larry Curcio of Avalon Comics in the mid-90s.  I picked up my second copy of Flash 86 on the boards.  And then I traded that second Flash 86 + cash for my copy of Police 1.   Over the years, I have owned many Phantom Lady 17s.  But the 23 was viewed as a bit crude non-Baker cover and has only seemed to get hot over the past 5 or so years.

12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

BTW - I have really admired your collection and very astute comments over the past few years on the boards.  I have been actively collecting golden and atomic age since the early 90s and at one time owned many gorgeous pedigree books but sold far too many over the years.  If I had kept most of the better ones, I would imagine my collection could have been similar to yours.  But at least that keeps the thrill of the chase going for me to rebuild my collection which was largely sold off when I moved from the Northeast to So Cal in 1999.  

The other cool part is that when I was actively collecting Baker romance in the early 1990s, I did not have to compete with many people and $10 - 20 was the going price for nearly any Baker romance with very little exception.  Some of the Baker books that were quite rare have turned out to be pretty common while others have remained quite elusive.  I always hoped to find a great original owner Baker collection, but that never happened.  

Edited by BakerFanOne

I picked up my first copy of Flash 86 from Larry Curcio of Avalon Comics in the mid-90s.  I picked up my second copy of Flash 86 on the boards.  And then I traded that second Flash 86 + cash for my copy of Police 1.   Over the years, I have owned many Phantom Lady 17s.  But the 23 was viewed as a bit crude non-Baker cover and has only seemed to get hot over the past 5 or so years.

Well from not only the books which you have had in your collection, but also along with your tantlizing Spicy Mystery Stories avatar, I can definitely tell that you have quality taste when it comes to your collecting interests.  (thumbsu

Being the contrarian collector that I am, I have somehow always personally prefer the PL 23 cover image over the much more popular PL 17 cover image.  :luhv:  

BTW - I have really admired your collection and very astute comments over the past few years on the boards. 

Now, I know that you most definitely must have me confused with somebody else on the boards here.  lol

Especially since it sounds as though my personal collection would pale in comprison to yours by far.  Absolutely no sightings of a single Phanton Lady in my collection, let alone the much in demand and classic cover PL 17 or PL 23 books.  :(

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Now, I know that you most definitely must have me confused with somebody else on the boards here.  lol

Especially since it sounds as though my personal collection would pale in comprison to yours by far.  Absolutely no sightings of a single Phanton Lady in my collection, let alone the much in demand and classic cover PL 17 or PL 23 books.  :(

Appreciate your humility but my current Fox PL collection is complete but with more than a few filler copies.  I am astonished at the price acceleration on PL 17 which was always an "expensive" book.  But I do think there are some relative "bargains" remaining in the run.  If only Matt Baker did more of the covers on the run.