• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Police Comics #1 8.5 on the bay
1 1

32 posts in this topic

A good-smart friend of mine got me very intrigued by Police Comics #1 and despite my searching for an affordable copy for years I kept striking out until I didn't.  I also noticed over the years that the census on this book never broke 40 copies (currently sits at 39), which indicates its’ relative scarcity.   This auctioned-offered 8.5 is per the census the only 8.5 with only 2 single copies graded higher (a 9.4 and a 9.2).  Yes the format the current eBay seller chose to sell his great copy (eBay) is IMO not the best choice to maximize exposure and thus bucks.  This is an iconic, significant & still somewhat under the radar GA character created by an iconic artist.  Here is a link to some wonderful info on Plastic Man (real name Patrick "Eel OBrian).   I hope this 8.5 copy breaks 20k because it certainly deserves to in this grade.  :cloud9:    

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_Man

Edited by Roger66

3 hours ago, Roger66 said:

This auctioned-offered 8.5 is per the census the only 8.5 with only 2 single copies graded higher (a 9.4 and a 9.2).

Well, here's another raw VF+ copy of "Police Comics #1" which you can have for a drop dead bargain price as compared to the current copy on eBay:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/813718

pol1.685a.jpg

Too bad it's only the Alan Light reprint copy, but it can be yours with a BIN price of only $30 as current offers (8 in total) is only sitting at a piddly $25.  hm

11 hours ago, BakerFanOne said:
21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Absolutely no sightings of a single Phanton Lady in my collection, let alone the much in demand and classic cover PL 17 or PL 23 books.  :(

Appreciate your humility but my current Fox PL collection is complete but with more than a few filler copies.  I am astonished at the price acceleration on PL 17 which was always an "expensive" book.  But I do think there are some relative "bargains" remaining in the run.  If only Matt Baker did more of the covers on the run.

The closest I ever got to having a Phantom Lady in my collection was a killer copy of PL 16 which Mark Wilson was offering to me for something like $500 or $600 which I remember was a tad over top of guide at the time.  Absolutely gorgeous lingerie cover but decided to pass on it since it did not feature Phantom Lady on the cover and was not aware of hot hot GGA covers would become, had this thing at the time about never paying more than guide for a book, and most of all, Mark's well known reputation at the for not being able to keep his hands off a book to make it even nicer no matter how nice it already was even though he had told me that this book was completely untouched at the time.  hm  (shrug)

Looking back on it now, I definitely still should have gone for the book since it was an absolutely cherry copy of a gorgeous classic GGA cover book.  doh!  :(

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

The closest I ever got to having a Phantom Lady in my collection was a killer copy of PL 16 which Mark Wilson was offering to me for something like $500 or $600 which I remember was a tad over top of guide at the time.  Absolutely gorgeous lingerie cover but decided to pass on it since it did not feature Phantom Lady on the cover and was not aware of hot hot GGA covers would become, had this thing at the time about never paying more than guide for a book, and most of all, Mark's well known reputation at the for not being able to keep his hands off a book to make it even nicer no matter how nice it already was even though he had told me that this book was completely untouched at the time.  hm  (shrug)

Looking back on it now, I definitely still should have gone for the book since it was an absolutely cherry copy of a gorgeous classic GGA cover book.  doh!  :(

There were so many interesting characters like the Wilsons, Geri Ross, Robert Bell etc . . back then.  I actually picked up some great books from Geri Ross including a VFNM Startling 49 and a VF Real Life 3.  Both looked like they were unread copies.  Also got an All Star 8 from him in 1997 that he graded an FVF.  It came back as a CGC 4.0, but at least it came back as unrestored.  

On 6/8/2020 at 7:50 PM, BakerFanOne said:

I still remain somewhat bullish about this book as it does have the first appearances of Plastic Man and Phantom Lady.  But having the Firebrand featured on the cover doesn't help.

Like many books including Marvel Family 1, Captain Marvel Adventures 18, and Flash 86, it was undervalued and then the price went boom a bit too fast.  

Oh man so true, Marvel Family 1 is now in the unatainable range for me.

This is a super nice looking 8.5 to and I’ve been wondering if it has upgrade potential. Only reason I’m thinking not is bottom right back cover. Cant say for sure, but looks like a small piece is missing.

Edited by LDarkseid1

5 hours ago, KCOComics said:

4 hours to go!

Will it crack $20k? 

Looks like it did as it jumped from $16,600 with about 12 seconds left and moved right up to $22,655 with a couple of last second bids thrown in there for good measure.  (thumbsu:applause:

Wonder how long the 3-minute extended bidding or how high it would have gone if this copy had been auctioned off on either  the CC or HA websites, especially since there were at least 2 bidders in there tossing in additional bids in the last few seconds?  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like it did as it jumped from $16,600 with about 12 seconds left and moved right up to $22,655 with a couple of last second bids thrown in there for good measure.  (thumbsu:applause:

Wonder how long the 3-minute extended bidding or how high it would have gone if this copy had been auctioned off on either  the CC or HA websites, especially since there were at least 2 bidders in there tossing in additional bids in the last few seconds?  hm  (shrug)

I saw that. 

It's not a book I watch closely so I can't say if it's a good price,  but it seemed to get allot of interest. 

Edited by KCOComics

A 4.5 sold for roughly $10K recently, assuming sales tax was tagged on. I don’t know, but seems like seller may have done better on CC, Clink or Heritage.

E28CEA52-6B29-4B95-A86E-3272CDFE2FDF.jpeg

Edited by LDarkseid1

40 minutes ago, KCOComics said:
51 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I saw that. 

It's not a book I watch closely so I can't say if it's a good price,  but it seemed to get allot of interest. 

7 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

A 4.5 sold for roughly $10K recently, assuming sales tax was tagged on. I don’t know, but seems like seller may have done better on CC, Clink or Heritage.

I would tend to agree with your conclusion here, especially in the case of CC or Heritage where the bidding goes on until the last man is left standing.  Especially since this was on a lower profile eBay auction from a so-called "no-name" seller without any hype at all and hence, the deeper pocket money bidders might not have even been aware of this auction here.  hm

Not so sure about CL in this particular case though since it has the exact same auction format as eBay, and this is only the 3rd highest graded copies, whereas CL bidders usually only goes bonkers :screwy: with their bidding when it's the highest graded copy of a book.  (shrug)

Notwithstanding the 2 copies which you have already pointed out to us in your post above, this final price of $22,655 or just over double condition guide price looks relatively strong when compared to the CGC 8.0 graded Billy Wright pedigree copy which sold for $11,950 back in the Spring of 2017.  Not so much though when you compare it to the more recent lower grade CGC 2.5 graded copy which sold for $5,160 late last year or in particular, the 2.0 graded copy from the other company with the much dreaded Slightly Brittle Pages for $4,320 near the end of 2018 on Heritage which represented huge mutiples to condition guide for both copies.  :whatthe:  :applause:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I would tend to agree with your conclusion here, especially in the case of CC or Heritage where the bidding goes on until the last man is left standing.  Especially since this was on a lower profile eBay auction from a so-called "no-name" seller without any hype at all and hence, the deeper pocket money bidders might not have even been aware of this auction here.  hm

Not so sure about CL in this particular case though since it has the exact same auction format as eBay, and this is only the 3rd highest graded copies, whereas CL bidders usually only goes bonkers :screwy: with their bidding when it's the highest graded copy of a book.  (shrug)

Notwithstanding the 2 copies which you have already pointed out to us in your post above, this final price of $22,655 or just over double condition guide price looks relatively strong when compared to the CGC 8.0 graded Billy Wright pedigree copy which sold for $11,950 back in the Spring of 2017.  Not so much though when you compare it to the more recent lower grade CGC 2.5 graded copy which sold for $5,160 late last year or in particular, the 2.0 graded copy from the other company with the much dreaded Slightly Brittle Pages for $4,320 near the end of 2018 on Heritage which represented huge mutiples to condition guide for both copies.  :whatthe:  :applause:

Plastic Man movie was announced in 2018 and I believe the book jumped a solid amount when that happened. So the Billy Wright Pedigree copy would go for considerably more now. Just sold a year too soon unfortunately for that seller. Overall I’m sure this is a solid enough sale though.

Edited by LDarkseid1