• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade reduction when submitting to a signature event

6 posts in this topic

Hi Jenn,

I am curious what is done in the case where a book is submitted as a 9.8 graded comic, goes through the signing and then is regraded at anything less than a 9.8.  Would an insurance claim be submitted to account for the loss of value the book incurred while CGC was in possession of the book?  I have already sent some books in but am cautious about sending in some of my higher priced graded books as I'm not sure certain signatures on the book are worth the risk if the books come back a lower grade.  Would there be any recourse a customer could take or are we supposed to accept the risk and whatever outcome of the grading?

Thanks,

Ed

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thanks for your message.  Are you referring to sending an already CGC graded book in for one of the private signings?  In the case of a book that is cracked out of a CGC case for a signing, once the book is out of the CGC holder that original grade is no longer valid and there is always the chance the grade could change.  While all of the artists signing do try to be as careful as possible with the books, there is always the chance a new defect might be caused during the event.  The graders are going to grade the book not on how it was before the signing but the condition of the book as it is currently when it gets in to them.  It is possible for the grade to go down in that case.  If that is something you are concerned about, you might want to consider opting for pressing as well as grading.  In that scenario, we would press the book after the signing and before it goes in to the graders. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thanks for your message.  Are you referring to sending an already CGC graded book in for one of the private signings?  In the case of a book that is cracked out of a CGC case for a signing, once the book is out of the CGC holder that original grade is no longer valid and there is always the chance the grade could change.  While all of the artists signing do try to be as careful as possible with the books, there is always the chance a new defect might be caused during the event.  The graders are going to grade the book not on how it was before the signing but the condition of the book as it is currently when it gets in to them.  It is possible for the grade to go down in that case.  If that is something you are concerned about, you might want to consider opting for pressing as well as grading.  In that scenario, we would press the book after the signing and before it goes in to the graders. 

Thanks Jenn,

Your response was exactly what I was referring to.  I completely understood the process as you describe it.  Graders receive no bias after the signature occurs when they are regrading the book before encapsulation.  I agree with that wholeheartedly.  However, it's still possible that a pressed book after the signing still may not fix a potential defect that would cause a grade reduction.  In the cases where this happens and a book of significant value drops a grade, is there any procedure for the owner to place an insurance claim or do we have to accept the fact that the book is losing value?

Also, do you have any estimate of how often a grade drop occurs during signature?

Thanks again,

Ed

• Administrator

Good morning,

Unfortunately, we don't have statistics on how often a grade might drop after a signature was added.  It definitely does happen but I don't believe the majority of books in this situation go down.  

When you submit a book for a signature and the book has to be cracked out of the holder, that basically voids everything that happened previously regarding that prior grade.  It is a risk that customers take when they request to have their book cracked out for a signature as this is always a possibility.  So, unfortunately, there is nothing really that can be done in that case if you choose to have the book cracked out of the holder for any reason.  

Hi Jenn....  Guess what happened?  I think I might have jinxed myself, but one of my previously graded 9.8 books is coming back to me from the Cates and Stegman signing as a 9.6.  I did not have it pressed after signing as I was confident the book would be handled carefully.  But now I'm weary about the other books I have sitting at CGC awaiting their signature events.  I forget which I requested pressing for and which I didn't.  I'm pretty sure the majority of the books I submitted with no pressing.  Can you help me with adding the pressing service?  Also, is there anything I can do about the book that already received the reduced grade?

Thanks and I hope you had a wonderful July 4th holiday,

Ed

• Administrator

Good morning,

In order to change or add services to any in house orders, we would first need to see where they are in the process.  If an order is too far along, then no changes would be possible.  Your best bet is to email the invoice numbers to our customer service department and let them know what you want to do and they can check to see if those changes are possible at this stage.  If so, then they will have you complete a new online order form with the updated services you would like and email that to them.  You can reach our customer service department at submissions@cgccomics.com.  

Thanks!