• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales of Suspense thread
4 4

361 posts in this topic

On 6/9/2020 at 2:45 PM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

gatsby-thanks.png

Untitled-tos58.jpg

Untitled-tos59.jpg

Untitled-tos71.jpg

Untitled-tos80.jpg

Wow the autograph on stan lee in the punch effect really had to the punch impact lol,thats the best copy ive seen autographes of this issue nice!(worship)

:golfclap:

Wow.  What an impressive run.  I hate purple labels.  It messes with my OCD and I hate having them in my collection,  I personally would rather have a Universal 1.5 than a restored 9.6.  Is there a way that CGC could dissolve the glue with restoration removal?  Do you have #1-38?

9 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

Now the big one. I bought that book several decades ago at a price that was then a colossal amount of money for me as a kid. Today people would laugh at how low that was but I had a big fight with my mother when she learnt about this purchase at that time.

Book is really gorgeous with full quotes and blue under the table but has light tanning along left and right edges. I can live with that. The main thing however is that there is a tiny bit of glue at the tip of the lower right corner of front cover to keep attached a little chip. That is why I never dared sending it to CGC by fear of getting a purple label although I have seen many blue labels with "small amount of dry glue" in the notes. Still I never was able to find an upgrade with both full quotes and blue under the table.

Of course, I could just cut that little corner tip and the glue would disappear but along with the little piece. What a dilemma! It looks nice raw though so I am keeping it like that for now but would be curious of what you guys think. Should I cut the little corner and then lower the grade but be sure of a blue label or keep it like this?

TOS 39.jpg

5 hours ago, pickycollector said:

Now the big one. I bought that book several decades ago at a price that was then a colossal amount of money for me as a kid. Today people would laugh at how low that was but I had a big fight with my mother when she learnt about this purchase at that time.

Book is really gorgeous with full quotes and blue under the table but has light tanning along left and right edges. I can live with that. The main thing however is that there is a tiny bit of glue at the tip of the lower right corner of front cover to keep attached a little chip. That is why I never dared sending it to CGC by fear of getting a purple label although I have seen many blue labels with "small amount of dry glue" in the notes. Still I never was able to find an upgrade with both full quotes and blue under the table.

Of course, I could just cut that little corner tip and the glue would disappear but along with the little piece. What a dilemma! It looks nice raw though so I am keeping it like that for now but would be curious of what you guys think. Should I cut the little corner and then lower the grade but be sure of a blue label or keep it like this?

TOS 39.jpg

That is an awesome book to cap off an awesome collection. Thanks for sharing! 

I was curious, do you think knowing that you were keeping the TOS 39 ungraded pushed you towards keeping the run raw rather than moving towards slabs?

@pickycollector, that is an impressive run of books! (worship)

I agree with everyone who posted about your copies of TOS #49, and would keep the bottom copy...I like the top-to-bottom centering on it better.

Regarding your TOS #39, I'm assuming the glue covers more than just the chip, so wiggling it free (as opposed to cutting it off with scissors) would not work? I only ask this because if the chip were not there it would look more "natural" than it would if the corner were cleanly cut off...hope that makes sense.

Wow, can't compete with that run!

Meanwhile, apropos of nothing in particular, I just made an odd little discovery in this bargain copy of TOS #81 I found at a flea market: Stark's first name is misspelled as "Toni" -- with an I. Never seen that before, except, of course, in modern times as a reference to his twin sister...

IMG_0044-compressed.jpg

IMG_0043-compressed.jpg