• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dragon's Lair & Space Ace Original Poster Artwork on Heritage

103 posts in this topic

I know there is a video game artwork section around here. But people might like these. The original poster artwork for Dragon's Lair and Space Ace are up for auction at Heritage. Kids who grew up in arcades back then probably remember these.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/animation-art/dragon-s-lair-promotional-poster-original-art-don-bluth-1983-/a/7232-98210.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

854354925_DragonsLairHeritage.jpg.7b18ccc2ef23c88da7a466d7f4e2cdc9.jpg

https://comics.ha.com/itm/animation-art/space-ace-promotional-poster-original-art-don-bluth-1983-/a/7232-98234.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

389489283_SpaceAceHeritage.jpg.6d3a2f3b841cd3911bc5a8e93ec8ffa0.jpg

I can't remember how many versions of these games I've owned over the years. I'm trying to come up with a little display one day.

Was discussing this with a mutual collector friend who has no stake in the game and his first take-away was that some appeal is lost because it isn't from Bluth's hand. Clearly bidders don't agree with that but curious what others have to say. 

8 hours ago, cstojano said:

Was discussing this with a mutual collector friend who has no stake in the game and his first take-away was that some appeal is lost because it isn't from Bluth's hand. Clearly bidders don't agree with that but curious what others have to say. 

We probably spoke to the same guy.   I don't think that matters one iota personally.    If we were speaking to the same guy he had some good points about other aspects but that... man, nobody cares.    

Edited by Bronty

4 hours ago, ShallowDan said:

I'm guessing $35K-ish for the DL poster, 

I'll say 50+, partly based on strong bidding to date (25 already).

Edited by Bronty

41 minutes ago, Bronty said:

We probably spoke to the same guy.   I don't think that matters one iota personally.    If we were speaking to the same guy he had some good points about other aspects but that... man, nobody cares.    

Likely not, I'd be shocked if it was the same guy. But who knows. I agree though, the piece stands on its own.

12 hours ago, Bronty said:

good discussion on the other thread too.    Estimates?

I'm terrible when it comes to estimates on items that I don't have previous reference. Many times I'm shocked when something rare turns up and bidding gets crazy. I was thinking about starting a topic on how to determine original art prices without previous reference. But anyway, I don't think there are many video games out there that had movie poster style advertisements. Right now I can only think of a few Capcom fighting games.

And I'm even worse on items that I have nostalgia for. It turns into one of those I need to get it at all costs. But I'm lucky that I haven't seen many of those auctions to get into yet. Still for me, I would put my money towards an original cel and background over the poster artwork. There are some great scenes in the game.

Seems like everyone here so far is in the other Heritage topic too. But here is that link of Dragon's Lair cel collectors that I posted over in the Heritage topic.

http://www.dragonslairfans.com/collectors/collectors.htm

11 hours ago, cstojano said:

I saved an interview with Don Bluth back when he was doing the Kickstarter or Indie project for a new Dragon's Lair. I still need to watch it. Also, I downloaded a PDF of an old magazine with a Space Ace cover I owned back then. I do wonder how much of the animation Don Bluth worked on in Dragon's Lair and Space Ace. I've read about the lead or key animators only doing the planning drawings and then major scenes in animation. Also some of the start or ending scenes.

With this animation stuff, I don't think it matters much if it came directly from the lead animator. I think the scene itself is the most important part. If I could get cels and backgrounds from the opening of G.I. Joe, I wouldn't be concerned if the lead animator did it or not. Especially since I think the majority of modern cels had the line work copied over from the original pencil art.

I believe Don Bluth sold some pencil sketches with that Kickstarter project. But I can't remember how well they sold.

43 minutes ago, GeneticNinja said:

I don't think there are many video games out there that had movie poster style advertisements. Right now I can only think of a few Capcom fighting games.

Most of the time it being a promo piece is a negative as compared to the actual art on the game box or arcade machine (ie all things being equal you'd normally rather have the box art or if an arcade machine the header and/or sidecab art).    

But all that is overthinking it.    Its a good title and a wonderful looking piece and the best dragon's lair piece you could hope for.    

Edited by Bronty

Seeing those collectors' game rooms, with so many games and high-end collectibles related to Dragons Lair, I'm going to have to up my estimate for that poster art, even if Bluth didn't touch it. How do those two guys from the UK not duke this one out on HA Live?

Bob

4 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Seeing those collectors' game rooms, with so many games and high-end collectibles related to Dragons Lair, I'm going to have to up my estimate for that poster art, even if Bluth didn't touch it. How do those two guys from the UK not duke this one out on HA Live?

Bob

- maybe they are friends and don't want to bid each other up

- maybe they are low on funds atm

- maybe they don't value this artwork in the same way art collectors do.  what's the most they've ever paid for a DL item?   Probably a lot less than what this will go for.

Or, maybe they slug it out as you say.

Its just so hard to know what will happen on auction day.   But it will be fun to watch.

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

Most of the time it being a promo piece is a negative as compared to the actual art on the game box or arcade machine (ie all things being equal you'd normally rather have the box art or if an arcade machine the header and/or sidecab art).    

But all that is overthinking it.    Its a good title and a wonderful looking piece and the best dragon's lair piece you could hope for.    

I think the opening castle image is another top piece. That link might have the original painting. I know they released a run of signed prints too.

2 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Just got an idea for my next commission thanks! Who would be the best artist to pull this off? 

What's the idea? I posted these before in the limited prints topic. But because there are so few movies with good sequels. Or even trilogies. I like when poster artists come up with posters like these. I want to see something like this for Dragon's Lair.

1921815021_flashGordonposter.thumb.jpg.33e8d1cb81d4357f6db0669b6bf83ad0.jpg

899584112_IndianaJonesposter.thumb.jpg.9fb846e92cb3aa853d3f7c1df8cfc761.jpg

Somehow incorporate the favorite sections of the castle of the first game with the more adventure hopping element of the second game. Daphne would probably be the key uniting character since she's captured in both games.

This game pegs the nostalgic meter for me as I spent a summer mastering the moves to defeat the game (lots of trial and error) ... but it doesn't appeal to me as a collector. I hope it goes big - auction day should be fun to watch

15 minutes ago, cstojano said:

Who was offering to accept shipments on collector's behalf in their no sales tax state again? Asking for a friend. 

Me. For any reason, not particularly the one you state above. "Why" is your business...I'm just a nice person :)