• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dragon's Lair & Space Ace Original Poster Artwork on Heritage

103 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, ShallowDan said:

Linda Ronstadt herself must've been bidding that one up.  That has to be a record for a Simpsons cel, I'd imagine.  

I am still scratching my head over that one.

For the Dragon's Lair, poster went higher than the max I put on it. I am glad I emotional detached early on it.  The cells on the other had went for less than I thought they would.

1 hour ago, ShallowDan said:

Linda Ronstadt herself must've been bidding that one up.  That has to be a record for a Simpsons cel, I'd imagine.  

Definitely a record...but Linda Ronstadt and who? It takes two afterall. Something doesn't add up on this one.

FWIW simpsons video game material is way up recently also.   Wonder if it’s just hitting prime nostalgia time.   Still, somebody REALLY likes Mr Plow

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

FWIW simpsons video game material is way up recently also.   Wonder if it’s just hitting prime nostalgia time.   Still, somebody REALLY likes Mr Plow

Technically, Barney was the Plow King...   :kidaround:

Anyway, looking at previous final hammer prices on Simpsons cels really drove home how much of an outlier this one is.  Great couch gags have gone for a tenth of what this one sold for.  I can only imagine what the consignor is thinking after see how this one went.

And on the the next auction, where an unreleased Warren Chang Boss Hogg painting for the Atari 2600 is already up to $105... 

3 hours ago, t3quila said:

so did anyone here win the Space Ace piece then?

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1644543&GSub=207588

Congratulations Imran.   Wonderful piece and worth every penny.    I understand that there was at least one bidder that fell asleep waiting for it to come up..... it could have cost more.

Edited by Bronty

On 6/21/2020 at 3:12 PM, Bronty said:

I don’t know anything about the cel market (though a little bit about the Simpson art market), but I will say that the Mr Plow episode is a classic. If someone held a gun to my head and asked me to name all the classic Simpsons episodes Mr Plow would come in at #2 or #3 2c

But at $24k? Wow. Wonder what an actual Mr Plow cel would fetch? 

3 hours ago, John E. said:

I don’t know anything about the cel market (though a little bit about the Simpson art market), but I will say that the Mr Plow episode is a classic. If someone held a gun to my head and asked me to name all the classic Simpsons episodes Mr Plow would come in at #2 or #3 2c

But at $24k? Wow. Wonder what an actual Mr Plow cel would fetch? 

Probably a lot less?   I’m guessing this was just a one off and not something that could really be repeated 

Those Dragon's Lair and Space Ace auctions were interesting to watch. Space Ace seemed to have more of a fight for the win. I guess we'll see in the future if a gamer puts these in their room on a youtube room tour.

I don't know much about The Simpsons cels. There are a bunch on ebay. I don't think I've ever seen a full episode of The Simpsons. I've only seen this gif that people post around the Internet for various reasons.

simpsons.gif.cae3d64909d723465b0b08d91c5b42f8.gif

And I remember a scene with Bart calling a bar making alcohol jokes. When I think Mr. Plow my mind goes to a dirty place and I think of that robot in the Heavy Metal cartoon movie.

Speaking about other video games, I was looking at next week's auction and saw Section Z on NES. Another nightmare game like Deadly Towers which I mentioned somewhere around here. When I hear the music for both I feel a certain level of disdain and disgust. For some reason, I think I had an original copy of Section Z. I know I never beat Section Z just like with Deadly Towers which is on auction as well. Right now at $210 for a sealed copy! For the complete high grade collector's collection I guess.

But back to Section Z, I checked youtube for a play through and searched for a map of the levels. Supposedly a map came with the game. But I can't remember the map in my copy. Perhaps that was a later edition if kids were having problems completing the game.

If you checked past sales history there have been sealed section z as high as 5k.   (The earliest produced versions/variants go for the most).   The map was only included in a specific production window.  The large majority of copies didn’t come with it

Edited by Bronty

3 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

Those Dragon's Lair and Space Ace auctions were interesting to watch. Space Ace seemed to have more of a fight for the win. I guess we'll see in the future if a gamer puts these in their room on a youtube room tour.

The winner of the DL announced their win both here and on the facebook group, and posted it to CAF.    Space Ace winner is unclear.

Edited by Bronty

14 hours ago, Bronty said:

If you checked past sales history there have been sealed section z as high as 5k.   (The earliest produced versions/variants go for the most).   The map was only included in a specific production window.  The large majority of copies didn’t come with it

$5,000? That's crazy. I'll take a look. You need to log in to check prices and I have a few lots from the previous auction that I want to check anyway. Is there any reason Section Z is that expensive?

Section Z's cover is good. That's probably why I got the game as a kid. And the background that was on those Capcom games. But the game was a let down for me. Just like with Deadly Towers, I tried it again when I was older before selling it. I think I got to the first section as I remember the cinema / check point scene. But figuring out the maze on your own is extremely difficult.

But other map type games like Metroid, Goonies, and Golgo 13 1 and 2 on NES are still favorites.

11 hours ago, Bronty said:

The winner of the DL announced their win both here and on the facebook group, and posted it to CAF.    Space Ace winner is unclear.

I missed or misread that link. Thanks.

On 6/27/2020 at 8:27 AM, t3quila said:

Good win. And nice collection. I probably saw your gallery before with the Star Trek 4 artwork. I need to watch Alphaville again. I remember it was a pretty cool detective type story. I know I screen capped some scenes including the opening.

What are your plans for the Dragon's Lair art? Game room type setting? I'm slowly starting to look for old mall brochures that mention the arcades. I wish I kept more of that stuff. Last Gamer on youtube probably got me to remember the arcade designs when he made his arcade room.

11 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

$5,000? That's crazy. I'll take a look. You need to log in to check prices and I have a few lots from the previous auction that I want to check anyway. Is there any reason Section Z is that expensive?

Section Z's cover is good. That's probably why I got the game as a kid. And the background that was on those Capcom games. But the game was a let down for me. Just like with Deadly Towers, I tried it again when I was older before selling it. I think I got to the first section as I remember the cinema / check point scene. But figuring out the maze on your own is extremely difficult.

But other map type games like Metroid, Goonies, and Golgo 13 1 and 2 on NES are still favorites.

I missed or misread that link. Thanks.

Good win. And nice collection. I probably saw your gallery before with the Star Trek 4 artwork. I need to watch Alphaville again. I remember it was a pretty cool detective type story. I know I screen capped some scenes including the opening.

What are your plans for the Dragon's Lair art? Game room type setting? I'm slowly starting to look for old mall brochures that mention the arcades. I wish I kept more of that stuff. Last Gamer on youtube probably got me to remember the arcade designs when he made his arcade room.

It’s not all about whether the game was good or not.   That’s part of it.   Lots of comics that aren’t great to read are valuable.    Early releases sealed are better remembered and more valuable and it’s a pretty early release and specifically, an early variant of the title .   It’s not any more valuable than any other early release, put it that way.   In fact of the early capcoms its the cheapest one I imagine. 

Edited by Bronty

This thread prompted me to buy the Dragons Lair game for the iPhone. Had a good time playing it. For the investor types on the board it produced a much better ROI, being that I spent $4.99 this time to finish the game. I’m sure it took more like $40 to finish it the first go around in ‘83 (at the Barrel of Fun). 

Edited by gumbydarnit

On 6/27/2020 at 9:27 AM, t3quila said:

Major congrats on this.  If you don't mind me being nosy, did you have a pre-game guesstimate of what this would go for (and if so, where did your winning bid land in comparison)?

Since this one closed, I've been wondering how these same pieces might have performed in a pre-Stranger Things world.  I can't help but imagine that added 80s nostalgia encouraged some bidders who might not have been as interested otherwise.

I’m doubtful it mattered much. 2c  I think the price was healthy but not at all cray cray.    Now I suppose I’m biased since I collect this type of material , but I wonder if comic only collectors ever step back and look at their own hobby through unbiased eyes.   What does 50 grand buy you in comics and comic art?   Frankly, not a hell of a lot, which should be a sobering thought.   That priciest things in games and game art are six figures, the priciest things in comics and comic art are seven figures.   That doesn’t seem out of line given comics having been around longer etc.

I wasn’t sure how this piece would or wouldn’t do at open auction but the price isn’t hard to justify IMO.   And I do know that at least one serious bidder missed the auction. 

Edited by Bronty

11 hours ago, Bronty said:

I’m doubtful it mattered much. 2c  I think the price was healthy but not at all cray cray.    Now I suppose I’m biased since I collect this type of material , but I wonder if comic only collectors ever step back and look at their own hobby through unbiased eyes.   What does 50 grand buy you in comics and comic art?   Frankly, not a hell of a lot, which should be a sobering thought.   That priciest things in games and game art are six figures, the priciest things in comics and comic art are seven figures.   That doesn’t seem out of line given comics having been around longer etc.

I wasn’t sure how this piece would or wouldn’t do at open auction but the price isn’t hard to justify IMO.   And I do know that at least one serious bidder missed the auction. 

Well this particular piece obviously has tons of crossover appeal due to the Don Bluth connection, and I would imagine it has to be considered a top tier piece as far as gaming art goes. 

Just speaking for myself here, but from my perspective part of the reason for any disconnect between the two fields (gaming art and comic art) might be due to the fact that so much gaming art was done strictly as unattributed work-for-hire.  Unlike comics where artists were at least acknowledged and therefore easier to become aware of, the artists behind gaming art rarely (maybe never?) got their due at the time - often not even a signature.  Lots of respect to the folks who have done the legwork to bring attention to those illustrators.

8 hours ago, ShallowDan said:

part of the reason for any disconnect between the two fields (gaming art and comic art)

I'd suggest the major disconnect is temporary and primarily due to the (presently) oldest two generations hitting those magic collectibles nostalgia years (7-13?, self-aware but pre-dating) before prevalent home gaming (Atari 2600). It doesn't matter what anybody thinks or wants here, what is bound to happen will happen and the old fogies an theire set-in-stone concepts will die off regardless. Assuming The West doesn't just go Mad Max any day now (...leave handicapping that to your imagination ;) ) the shift has been occurring for about a decade and should continue for at least the next four, as home gaming overtook comics in the home so too it should in the marketplace for totems and talismans. The only barrier to this being super obvious is that the art isn't as common or as commonly traded. Yet. I think a fair amount is 'out there' but it's not available all day, every day, in mass quantities from every conceivable source like comic art is. But the vintage games (like comic books) sure are.

And no, I'm not talking my own book here. I have a single home game original that I stumbled upon a long time ago. Otherwise, I'm vastly under-invested myself and feel I've already missed the boat for getting in early and thus cheap. One discussion I'm not seeing (not that I'm looking outside this board though either) is how digital art has affected the gaming art collecting community? We're all pretty up on how that works for comic art, but is it about the same there or not? What's the year/era cutoff, is any art still being produced physically? With so much gaming being done online, does box art in the Internet Age even matter, is there a clear End Date too?

28 minutes ago, vodou said:

I'd suggest the major disconnect is temporary and primarily due to the (presently) oldest two generations hitting those magic collectibles nostalgia years (7-13?, self-aware but pre-dating) before prevalent home gaming (Atari 2600). It doesn't matter what anybody thinks or wants here, what is bound to happen will happen and the old fogies an theire set-in-stone concepts will die off regardless. Assuming The West doesn't just go Mad Max any day now (...leave handicapping that to your imagination ;) ) the shift has been occurring for about a decade and should continue for at least the next four, as home gaming overtook comics in the home so too it should in the marketplace for totems and talismans. The only barrier to this being super obvious is that the art isn't as common or as commonly traded. Yet. I think a fair amount is 'out there' but it's not available all day, every day, in mass quantities from every conceivable source like comic art is. But the vintage games (like comic books) sure are.

And no, I'm not talking my own book here. I have a single home game original that I stumbled upon a long time ago. Otherwise, I'm vastly under-invested myself and feel I've already missed the boat for getting in early and thus cheap. One discussion I'm not seeing (not that I'm looking outside this board though either) is how digital art has affected the gaming art collecting community? We're all pretty up on how that works for comic art, but is it about the same there or not? What's the year/era cutoff, is any art still being produced physically? With so much gaming being done online, does box art in the Internet Age even matter, is there a clear End Date too?

There's lots being produced for in-game purposes (concept art basically).   In terms of what goes on the front of the box that has been mostly (exceptions exist) digital since 1996 - comic collectors might not realize it but the push to digital happened in mainstream illustration far before it happened in comics.   

Where that ends up pushing a direction for things is hard to say.     Similar to movie poster artwork, the cover/poster is the key piece, sometimes a color comp or two exists (which is a clear step down, maybe like a splash or half splash versus the cover) and sometimes pencil prelims exist (another step down, panel page equivalents).   

that's for up to 1995.    1996 and subsequent, I don't think those questions have been answered yet.   Will people collect concept art, which is mostly what exists physically for newer releases?  I think to some extent they will, as I'm seeing a little bit of that already, as a way for people to connect with favorite franchises where covers aren't available.     In some other way, unpublished illustrations like the Japanese fans collect?    That's up for debate I guess.

The biggest weakness and biggest strength of comic art is that the supply is endless.     The biggest weakness and biggest strength of published gaming art is that the supply is incredibly restricted.

Edited by Bronty