• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would this be considered resto on this FF1?

19 posts in this topic

Hello,

I recently purchased a pretty beat up copy of FF1.  As you can see, someone drew little eyeballs on Giganto as he's battling fantastic four.  Strange as it may seem, this bothers me more than the other condition issues of the book.  I was wondering if i took white out to the little eyeballs, would that be considered restoration?  I know this book is beyond restoration help, but i just don't want any chance of a purple label if i ever choose to get it slabbed, (which could be never anyway).  Thanks for your help.

ff1.jpg

I like the eyes. Giganto is the nicest looking part of your book. So Drawing the attention towards that is a good thing. Personally I would sell that copy and throw in a lil extra and upgrade if it bothers you that much. On a side not I never had a book with white out on it. Wonder how removable it is? 

haha you may not be wrong about Giganto's eyes.  Yea, I just feel like he's staring at me, like a green demented cookie monster.  The only reason I have this book is because of the condition, it dictated the price obviously.  I do plan on upgrading if I can find a steal on a clean 1.0 or restored copy. 

On 6/9/2020 at 11:37 PM, jtrias00 said:

Hello,

I recently purchased a pretty beat up copy of FF1.  As you can see, someone drew little eyeballs on Giganto as he's battling fantastic four.  Strange as it may seem, this bothers me more than the other condition issues of the book.  I was wondering if i took white out to the little eyeballs, would that be considered restoration?  I know this book is beyond restoration help, but i just don't want any chance of a purple label if i ever choose to get it slabbed, (which could be never anyway).  Thanks for your help.

ff1.jpg

Won't this already get a purple anyway? There looks to be some CT in the title, the lettering is all wrong. 

On 6/9/2020 at 6:19 PM, Myowncollector said:

I like the eyes. Giganto is the nicest looking part of your book. So Drawing the attention towards that is a good thing. Personally I would sell that copy and throw in a lil extra and upgrade if it bothers you that much. On a side not I never had a book with white out on it. Wonder how removable it is? 

I'm in favor of the pupils too. Gives Giganto a Sesame Street/Muppet, fun attitude, like even though he's trying to destroy the FF, all of them are having a good time anyway. :banana:

Edited by James J Johnson

On 6/9/2020 at 9:37 AM, jtrias00 said:

I know this book is beyond restoration help, but i just don't want any chance of a purple label if i ever choose to get it slabbed,

I wouldn't worry about the purple at this grade. Plus if you ever do sell it and THEY get it slabbed, and it IS a purple, you might have a problem. Better safe than sorry with resto. Also, why not know exactly what you have? I'd slab it if it were mine.

Just to protect it. :grin:

Isn't there some thing where if the ink etc wasn't intended to and doesn't increase the grade of the book they may ignore it and just grade it as a fault but not resto? He clearly wasn't putting the white out on there to "fix" the book :)

I think the eyeballs are the least of your worries on that book, if it is, in fact, a comic book.  I've seen a lot of stuff when it comes to comics but this one is new to me.  It looks more like a raw piece of wood with some sort of appliqué/image transfer method applied to look like a distorted copy of Fantastic Four 1.  Like maybe someone had 4 or 5 Silly Puttys and put them together and then rubbed them all over an actual front cover of Fantastic Four 1 and then pressed the Silly Putty onto the wood.  And then maybe put into an oven and cooked it.

I still can't quite process what I'm looking at...

I think it has tremendous intrinsic value just as the monstrosity that it is.  This is up there with the Tec 31 with the rat chew through the middle of the book.  Just having it gives you notoriety that doesn't come easily.  I say leave it alone.  Don't slab it, don't mess with it, don't sell it.  From now until the end of time, you'll always have it to pull out and shock people into speechlessness.  Like looking at Medusa's severed head.  2c

On 6/9/2020 at 9:37 AM, jtrias00 said:

Hello,

ff1.jpg

From what I can tell, the front cover of this book was completely taped over, and through the years the tape disintegrated, which left telltale stains over the entire cover. I wouldn't bother doing anything else to the book---it really is incredible just the way it is...