• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Every comic on Venom 25 Derrick Chew Virgin variant cover micro tears in corners
2 2

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone know here if you have a oversized comic with a limited print run like the one I mentioned (1000) and you have talked to several distributors and eBay sellers saying they all have the same tears in the sane spots in all their same comics would cgc count that towards the grade determination of the comic or ignore it?

image.thumb.jpeg.863bd4365359ee988046e2b8109b8ac0.jpeg
image.thumb.png.f16d07255d22fc4153fe3a6a5dabc116.pngimage.thumb.png.4beb0a9ac1c6f5b37d5a2efbabd7aa25.png

I have had some comics graded with improper cutting at the corners, and they came back with better grades than I expected.  My recollection is.....If I was figuring 8.5 with the poor cuts, they came back with 9.0 - 9.4.

Since there were no notes, I can't really say WHAT the grader thought of the tear.  Was it a 9.4 ignoring the cut?  Was it a 9.4 PARTLY due to the cut?  Was it a 9.4 ENTIRELY due to the cut?   No idea.  We don't get enough (any) info on the process.

My thoughts at the time I submitted it was to be prepared for something like an 8.5, or even lower, and be happy if it came back higher.  So I was happy that I got better than expected. 

In your case, you were probably hoping/expecting perfect copies, and instead now there is a caveat.  Hopefully someone with "inside information" can help your sort it out.

1 hour ago, Lightning55 said:

I have had some comics graded with improper cutting at the corners, and they came back with better grades than I expected.  My recollection is.....If I was figuring 8.5 with the poor cuts, they came back with 9.0 - 9.4.

Since there were no notes, I can't really say WHAT the grader thought of the tear.  Was it a 9.4 ignoring the cut?  Was it a 9.4 PARTLY due to the cut?  Was it a 9.4 ENTIRELY due to the cut?   No idea.  We don't get enough (any) info on the process.

My thoughts at the time I submitted it was to be prepared for something like an 8.5, or even lower, and be happy if it came back higher.  So I was happy that I got better than expected. 

In your case, you were probably hoping/expecting perfect copies, and instead now there is a caveat.  Hopefully someone with "inside information" can help your sort it out.

image.png.a23bdc1646525ee41f872df44eefb166.png

Those are just bindery tears, or chads as I think most call them.  With extra thick books, just the process of the cover being folded over causes extreme stress at those points and the paper just pops or tears there.  No big deal, and as said above, if there is only like 1 other minor flaw on book you are in the 9.8 range.  Wolverine #1 from this past year was just as thick and every copy I saw had those chads.  9.9/10's of these types of books is nearly impossible.