• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question to those who shop Metropolis and/or ComicConnect
1 1

23 posts in this topic

It's really bad and the search functionality is a disaster (The images are awful).  I don't even use the site anymore.  Unfortunately they probably dumped a few hundred thousand for an amateur to build the site and it'll likely be a long time before they make any updates.

30 minutes ago, comicquant said:

It's really bad and the search functionality is a disaster (The images are awful).  I don't even use the site anymore.  Unfortunately they probably dumped a few hundred thousand for an amateur to build the site and it'll likely be a long time before they make any updates.

Yes that too. No more super size images. Plus I am seeing far to many "image not available". Used to be alot of stock images but even that has gotten worse. 

Took me a while to learn out how to navigate their new website.  And once I kind of figured it out, a few books I was interested in had the worst blurry, washed out photos I've come across on a dealer website.  Requested a clearer scan from them and never received anything  :pullhair:  I've noticed another large auction site that also has washed out images, almost like they're playing with the settings on the scans to hide flaws and defects.  Don't know their true intent, but that's the impression it gives off...

13 minutes ago, mosconi said:

Took me a while to learn out how to navigate their new website.  And once I kind of figured it out, a few books I was interested in had the worst blurry, washed out photos I've come across on a dealer website.  Requested a clearer scan from them and never received anything  :pullhair:  I've noticed another large auction site that also has washed out images, almost like they're playing with the settings on the scans to hide flaws and defects.  Don't know their true intent, but that's the impression it gives off...

Andrew, long time!  Their response to web inquiries in general is bad.  I've probably made 5 inquiries over the last few years and have never gotten a response.  One auction win took 2 months to get delivered.  I don't know where their focus is but its definitely not on the customer.

12 minutes ago, mosconi said:

Unfortunately I may be forced to look elsewhere myself. Its too bad as I had mentioned they are a major resource for my collecting. It crossed my mind to give them some feed back directly but truthfully overall they have a take it or leave it attitude. 

3 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Andrew, long time!  Their response to web inquiries in general is bad.  I've probably made 5 inquiries over the last few years and have never gotten a response.  One auction win took 2 months to get delivered.  I don't know where their focus is but its definitely not on the customer.

Hey JP!  I actually spoke to a representative on the phone who said they would email me a better photo in a few days.  Unfortunately that day never arrived lol

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I know Vinny is a board member. He rarely, if ever posts here. Maybe somebody who knows him should send him this link. He has always been very responsive when I have interacted with him. 

I doubt he would get the message. I my years I have never seen him post here. I would not want this to come across as a personal attack  on him or his business.

15 minutes ago, H0RR0RSH0W said:

I doubt he would get the message. I my years I have never seen him post here. I would not want this to come across as a personal attack  on him or his business.

.......of course it's not a personal attack. Any business should be grateful for positive feedback if they value their customers.

39 minutes ago, mrc said:

.......of course it's not a personal attack. Any business should be grateful for positive feedback if they value their customers.

I don't think he'd take it that way if it was presented constructively. I've bought from CC for years. The one time I had a problem Vinny fixed it that day. Transferred money directly to my bank account and then followed up the next day to make sure I was good. I was impressed. 

On 6/10/2020 at 11:05 AM, H0RR0RSH0W said:

Plus I am seeing far to many "image not available". Used to be alot of stock images but even that has gotten worse. 

If you are referring to their upcoming Event Auction #43, that's probably because they still haven't yet taken scans for most of those books since they are just starting the process of loading the individual lots now.  :gossip:

If past years is an indication, this next auction won't actually be starting until late July or mid August and then won't actually be ending until late August or early September.  As the CC header clearly says, it's only a preview for now and I am quite sure that all of the images will be loaded and ready to go by the time the auction is closer to its actual start up date and open for bidding.  hm  :taptaptap:

So, pretty much the exact same situation with the Heritage previews which they also put up for their upcoming Signature Auctions, even though most of the images are also not available there at the time.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/10/2020 at 11:05 AM, H0RR0RSH0W said:

No more super size images.

Actually, this part here doesn't really bothered me that much, as it's at least a hundred times better than that useless magnify glass which they were initially using. :p

The size doesn't really bother me that much as I found the old super size that they use to have or the unlimited zoom on Heritage was rather overpowering or fuzzy and just resulted in you seeing things that weren't actually there at times.  I think their current on-size Zoom is alright and big enough for me to see what I need to see.  (thumbsu

I don't mind the new site. I like that I can search for past sales (which wasn't available for most items previously). I haven't had much trouble using search (I usually search via genre and when I want something specific I usually know the title and issue number). My one qualm would be that it seems to be substantially slower. 

Edited by The-Collector

Their new website(s) format is alright enough. Other dealers websites could be critiqued for their own flaws as well. No one is or will ever be perfect.

The best part of ordering from either CC or Metro is that it takes more than a month for the package to arrive. So when I finely receive my books, it is a pleasant surprise since I will have completely forgot about buying them. And not too many things are better than receiving an unexpected gift from a loved one.

On 6/10/2020 at 1:24 PM, H0RR0RSH0W said:

If you are familiar with their old web page you might agree that it had a very dated appearance. Nothing really wrong with that.  It was slow and cumbersome; like browsing in the age of Netscape navigator. When you had tons and tons of data that was just the way it was presented in those days. If you took some time you could generally find reams of great books new and old. No reason not to admit I have given them a good amount of business on some of my biggest purchases. 

I feel like the new design of their website is terrible. Makes it even harder to find books. I find it impossible. Even after sifting and sifting. At least the old  design had a list of titles that if you knew it was their and just could not guess what they had the title listed under you could refer to that. It was fairly quick and always worth a peak at very least. The new design is terrible. If you cannot guess the title descriptor it gives you pages of suggestions unrelated to your search. Further there is no way to jump pages effectively. The web address resets if you type anything in the browser bar.

Am I the only one finding the redesign impossible to use? 

I agree about the new design. I tend to sift through on a mobile device, and move over to the computer if I find anything of interest. The old site was super easy to scroll through and browse. Now, it's just cumbersome, especially on a mobile device. Also, the old Metropolis site used to have the collections and some great sales listed in the margin of the page. These seem to me to be harder to find. Unfortunately, it means I tend not to go there as often.