• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do you see the hobby in 25 years
4 4

409 posts in this topic

Just curious...I notice that some collectors kids don't collect and some do, so maybe less and less people are collecting

This is not just in terms of collecting but the value of books ect

You could probably just answer the thread and not the verbiage I just wrote....I tend to go on

:sorry:

Edited by Hollywood1892

Extremely hard question to answer Chris because when you get a game changer like what's happened this year, who knows how the economy of the world is going to be affected in future years, especially if we have multiples waves. I pray we don't.

I suspect what you are getting at is, 'are comic books going to continue to be rising commodities'

If that is your question ultimately, then I would venture that, all being well, notwithstanding apocalyptic catastrophes in the future, then comic books of value such as keys will continue to rise, and rise, and rise and that by the year 2045, AF15 for example will be out of almost every normal collector's reach in any grade.

1 minute ago, G G ® said:

by the year 2045, AF15 for example will be out of almost every normal collector's reach in any grade.

Thanks Paul

Hopefully the book isn't out of reach in 3 years...meaning I levelled out at about 23k over the past 18 months of collecting, but most recently I have spent the most money on books since I began collecting again, and most silverage spidey villains/keys. I'm thinking of just saving for the next 3 years and buying an AF 15, but that had nothing to do with the original post

And your response was brilliant btw

7 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

In twenty years, books I could have picked up now for dollars will be worth ten or twenty times that. 

I'm still on board count me in :)

DamagedPleasantKoala-max-1mb.gif

18 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

In twenty years, books I could have picked up now for dollars will be worth ten or twenty times that. 

50c or $1 drek comic books will more than likely follow that pattern, as due to further apocalyptic hoarding scenarios, high-quality, cushioned toilet roll will continue to escalate in black market price and become as unaffordable as an Amazing Fantasy 15, forcing the use of cheaper alternatives by the general public as well as by fanboys.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

I don't think digital 'took off' as fast as some people thought it would.   I remember when the 'Rocket Ebook', Sony Reader and Kindle all were going to be game changers in the book market.  Basically destroying print books.   Last I checked the Barnes and Noble down the street has been very busy selling hardback and paperback books.   

2 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Just curious...I notice that some collectors kids don't collect and some do, so maybe less and less people are collecting

This is not just in terms of collecting but the value of books ect

You could probably just answer the thread and not the verbiage I just wrote....I tend to go on

:sorry:

Depends on the future. If it's either of these, and based on current events, 25 months down the line isn't beyond the realm of possibility, then the future looks abysmal for all books, comics included, and also monuments, media, film, and other historical artifact. 

fahrenheit_451_cover.jpg

Nineteen_Eighty_Four.jpg

Edited by James J Johnson

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

50c or $1 drek comic books will more than likely follow that pattern, as due to further apocalyptic hoarding scenarios, high-quality, cushioned toilet roll will continue to escalate in black market price and become as unaffordable as an Amazing Fantasy 15, forcing the use of cheaper alternatives by the general public as well as by fanboys.  

Always nice to hear from you!

I have been buying comic books for 40 years and never lost $ on a book. Now from 2000 to 2012 they didn't go up much in price for sure. So from now to 25 years from now books should at least keep up with inflation if not continue to rise. Rule of 25 could produce great prices then. A lot of teen and 20s comic speculators out there. A lot of people paying unbelievable prices.

25 years is far out prediction wise. 10 years would be safer. Even then covid like disease throws a wrench into things. But let's say in this perfect world movie theaters can operate at max capacity. Super hero movies should remain popular for 10 more years or at least 6 and printed comics aren't going anywhere. After 10 years who knows. Baseball boxing horse racing used to be the 3 most popular sports. Every tv channel and movie studio made numerous westerns.