• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do you see the hobby in 25 years
4 4

409 posts in this topic

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

I disagree

These things are collectibles,

People collect art from centuries ago

And how expensive is that art? How many people are collecting it? The 99th percentile. How wealthy is the next generation compared to the old boys club that has most of the rarest "key" comics today?

Paintings from the 15th century are 1-of-a-kind. Comic books are not. Just look at streaming services; People are buying disc less and less. They don't want to own much.

I'd think it will look similar to the record market of today.  There will be some key books that will hold their value but most (98%) books will decrease in value to the point they are just garage sale fodder.  There will be a small niche group that buy new comics and maintain a large collection of books but the days of old will probably never happen again in terms of books sold.  The younger resellers (flippers) will take a beating at some point and not look back when they move on to other means of making quick cash.  I'm sure there will be spotty increases in demand (like records do every now and then) but comics should become an obsolete medium (paper reading material) that will only be enjoyed by a few people.

2 years from now, collectors will be flipping the low print run Covid DC Comics after DC started their own distribution system. Due to increase in shipping cost to get DC Comics outside of USA (e.g. Canada), LCS is cutting DC orders to the bone for subscribers only.  25 years from now, the younger generation will, unfortunately, have no attachment to paper collectibles, as they grew up with streaming YouTube entertainment, podcasts, and digital comics.

43 minutes ago, october said:

This question has come up every year since the board started and I've heard every variation of the demographic, financial, cultural and generational arguments both pro and con.

The answer is: nobody has a #$@%&@ clue where the market will be in two years, let alone twenty five. NO. CLUE.

I'm from the future tho.

Heed my words!

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It'll be dead, and those who chose to "invest" in comics will end up with nothing to retire on.

Not so.  Comics will be every bit the hot collectible for that generation that dime novels are for ours!

1 hour ago, october said:

This question has come up every year since the board started and I've heard every variation of the demographic, financial, cultural and generational arguments both pro and con.

The answer is: nobody has a #$@%&@ clue where the market will be in two years, let alone twenty five. NO. CLUE.

Not in two... but in 25... yes, you pretty much can.  Pop culture collectibles have pretty definable trends.  Always have.  If anything, technology has accelerated those trends.

18 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Last night I read a thread from 2002 discussing why Nicolas cage was getting out of the hobby, and everyone there thought the comic market must be crashing. Then, as now, there was real panic in some of the voices. Well, it never happened then, and it looks like it’s not happening now. 

i think in 25 years we will all be saying we wish we had a time machine that would take us back to 2020 prices

For some books, the keys and first character appearances, for sure. But not all. There are lots of rare golden age books that don`t have many collectors (ie Quality Comics, Fawcett Comics, King Comics) compared to others and those prices will probably remain the same or go up just slightly since there isn't as much demand compared to other properties that remain in the spot light.

1 hour ago, Bookery said:

Not in two... but in 25... yes, you pretty much can.  Pop culture collectibles have pretty definable trends.  Always have.  If anything, technology has accelerated those trends.

I've heard this too....for at least 20 years so far. 

9 minutes ago, october said:

I've heard this too....for at least 20 years so far. 

Well its legit now. Hey comics had a nice 80 year run. Now even though collecting them is at a all time high and they dominate the box office and tv shows, they are going to die. It's over.

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

If the premise of the "party" is discussing what happens over the next 25 years? Maybe not.

A regular party with alcohol and shenanigans? You bet your ace I am.

All right, I will keep you on the invite list. Maybe not for a retirement party though.

4 minutes ago, Bookery said:

Movie have little to do with book sales. 

I see zero chance of changing your thoughts on things, don't think you will believe anything I say so not even going to try. Appreciate your reply though. If there are any long time overstreet advisors or shop owners who you trust and respect and will believe what they tell you, then you can take your ?s to them. 

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Just look at streaming services; People are buying disc less and less. They don't want to own much.

What does that have to do with collectibles?

Nobody bought their wedding crashers on dvd thinking it was going to pull in a fortune down the road