• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do you see the hobby in 25 years
4 4

409 posts in this topic

On 6/10/2020 at 7:07 PM, bobotski said:

I can guarantee you, in 25 years boardies will still talk about Liefeld's artistic skills.

I am not sure about your reasoning here, so can you please explain why:  lol

cap

:sick:  :sick:  :fear:

On 6/11/2020 at 8:07 AM, Hollywood1892 said:
On 6/11/2020 at 7:50 AM, OuterboroGuy said:

So I needed some throne-reading material yesterday and grabbed a Silver Surfer #4 that was lying around (1987 series). Sometimes when I want to torture myself I look at the back-issue prices in the ads from 1980s books.  Check out these AF15 prices (low grade, mid grade, high grade).  (Of course, in 1987 I was an 18 year old kid eating government cheese and heading off to college on scholarship.  But if I tried I probably could have scratched together a few hundred bucks.)

20200611_104721.jpg

20200611_104854.jpg

That is insane...

Yes indeed, as you might be crying your eyes out long ago if you had paid good money to these 2 guys for their books.  :cry:

Especially since they were notorious not only for overgrading, but also undisclosed restoration on virtually all of their books if they even had the early issues in the first place.  Not sure about trimming, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me in the least with these 2 rather infamous so-called dealers from back in the day.  :gossip:

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/11/2020 at 3:43 PM, kav said:

well I'm talking about books that are actually valuable to start with.  They have not declined in value.  Or, books that were never valuable become suddenly valuable.  Valuable books as a whole have not declined in value, as would be necessary to bolster an argument that comics as a collectible are dying.

Well, I am sure that the CGC and GPA generation of speculators and day traders always have a big laugh when they think of poor old slow Bob who they claim is just so out of touch with reality and the current marketplace.  xD

Ask any long time dealer, auction house, or seasoned collector and virtually all of them will tell you how much they appreciate Overstreet's steadying influence and nuturing valuations in guiding the vintage collectible books on an ever upward trend over the past 50 years.  :applause:

Much better than the Wizard approach to price guide valuations (i.e. proactive price setting) where they were caught with their undies down around their ankles on several different occasions when they came out with $20+ valuations on supposedly new scorching hot books, only to have them not even hit the shelves of the LCS's that month due to missed deadlines.  :facepalm:  lol

32 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes indeed, as you might be crying your eyes out long ago if you had paid good money to these 2 guys for their books.  :cry:

Especially since they were notorious not only for overgrading, but also undisclosed restoration on virtually all of their books if they even had the early issues in the first place.  Not sure about trimming, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me in the least with these 2 rather infamous so-called dealers from back in the day.  :gossip:

I concur.

The POS Giant-Size X-Men 1 I was sent as a NM / M was why I made much the same post earlier on in the thread.  

Cynically, my conclusion back then was that you’d just be sent anything that was in stock at the time of receiving your cash.  

Incredible that one of them had the status of Overstreet advisor.

On 6/12/2020 at 5:52 AM, Bookery said:

There may be a couple of ultra-rare Big Little Books that would set a new record if they came up for sale... but the vast vast majority, including once "hot" issues... will sell for a fraction of the value they did 20 years ago.

Reminds me of the time I was at the Diamond Int'l Galleries Grand Opening way back in the mid-90's and a bunch of old time collectors were marvelling and talking about Geppi's extensive collection of HG BLB's.  :blahblah:  :blahblah:

When one of them mentioned the HC edition of the Big Little Mother Goose Book, all of their eyes seem to open up and they suddenly became a lot more interested.  Somehow though, I think a BLB book like this would fall more into the latter group while more well known and recognized characters like the Mickey Mouse and Tracy BLB's would fall into the former group.  hm  (shrug)

On 6/12/2020 at 6:07 AM, Bookery said:

But a lot of these characters have been mostly forgotten... the likelihood that books featuring Hourman, Starman, Shining Knight, Johnny Quick, Doll Man, Kid Eternity, etc., especially with unexceptional covers or in less than high grade, will continue to be in high demand across the decades seems unlikely. 

But the next episode of the scorching red hot Stargirl TV show coming out tomorrow is entitled "Hourman and Dr. Mid-Nite".  :gossip:

So best if you take your copies of All-American 25 and Adventure Comics 48 & 61 and jack them up like there's no tomorrow.  :flipbait:   :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/12/2020 at 7:38 AM, FlyingDonut said:
On 6/12/2020 at 5:52 AM, Bookery said:

There may be a couple of ultra-rare Big Little Books that would set a new record if they came up for sale... but the vast vast majority, including once "hot" issues... will sell for a fraction of the value they did 20 years ago.

Tell me about it. :facepalm:

So, are you really trying to tell me that even poor old Mickey and Dickie with his futuristic Apple watch won't even be worth as much as a roll of toilet paper in this pandemic driven future of ours?  :D

On 6/12/2020 at 10:54 AM, valiantman said:

I'd be far more concerned about the fine arts market in the next 25 years.  What causes an oil painting to be worth $20,000,000+?  Sure, it's one of a kind, it's great art, etc., but $20,000,000+?

Compare that to a key comic worth $5,000 with only 4,000 copies known.  That's also $20,000,000.

So, from your post here, I guess I would have to assume that you would much rather have the comic book that this original panel came from:

Frank Frazetta's "Egyptian Queen" OA breaking comics records ...

As opposed to this copycat pop art style painting entitled "Masterpiece" from Roy Lichtenstein:

Masterpiece (Lichtenstein) - Wikipedia

Try telling that to Steve Cohen, the big hedge fund billionaire, who paid $165M for this Roy Lichtenstein "Masterpiece" painting.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

image.jpeg

14 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:
14 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

A prime example right now is RAI 0 down to about $70 USD from $210 about 6 months ago.

Would you agree?

Very good example.  An extremely common book boosted by film hype.

You guys can't be serious here.........do you really mean that I can finally sell some of the few copies which I had speculated on for a whopping $70 or even $7 and finally be able to recoup some of my lost money on this loser of a book here?  :facepalm:  :whee:

On 6/12/2020 at 5:22 PM, kav said:

We do not know that homes will increase in value or even maintain current value tho.  In fact we just went thru a period where homes fell drastically in value.  Comics did not.  Up in the air.  A plague would decimate home prices.  
Based on the past, homes will continue to rise in value, as will comics.  

I didn't say anything about that.

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, all I can say is that I'd more than be happy and ecstatic to take this Mutt and Jeff off anybody's hands if they are turfing it out:  :takeit:

fam1.1052a.jpg

This is worth thousands of dollars and all because of the parrot.  I have never understood the insatiable demand for parrot covers.  

9 hours ago, Bookery said:

This is worth thousands of dollars and all because of the parrot.  I have never understood the insatiable demand for parrot covers.  

dont forget DC's gorilla covers.

On 6/14/2020 at 9:43 AM, Hollywood1892 said:

So I was advised two ways of pursuing the AF 15

1. Continue to buy blue chip books ie. ASM 2,3,13,14,101,129

IH 181

And trade for AF 15

2. Save up my money for 3 yrs and buy it outright

What do you think the best route is?

Willing to hear a 3rd option or this topic old news? I am always late to the party.

14 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I’ve never heard of parrot covers being in demand. Bizarre.

Apes, though, that I get.

Same. Is...is this a prank? Is this the part where I start to talk about parrot covers like I know what I'm talking about and then @Bookery is like "Ha, gotcha, no one cares about parrot covers!"

Edited by F For Fake

46 minutes ago, Ouchie said:

But seriously, I believe this is the holy grail of golf cover collectors.

Believe it or not... yes, this is correct.  I have a collector who also has several friends who all collect golf covers.  He has nearly all of them... but because of the cost, this is the one that eludes him (them).  I once had someone who collected birdcage covers.  But... okay... I'll admit it... parrot covers not so much.  :sorry:

28 minutes ago, Bookery said:

Believe it or not... yes, this is correct.  I have a collector who also has several friends who all collect golf covers.  He has nearly all of them... but because of the cost, this is the one that eludes him (them).  I once had someone who collected birdcage covers.  But... okay... I'll admit it... parrot covers not so much.  :sorry:

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Same. Is...is this a prank? Is this the part where I start to talk about parrot covers like I know what I'm talking about and then @Bookery is like "Ha, gotcha, no one cares about parrot covers!"

Do you have that One, with That Guy, that was out last year?

anigif_enhanced-17861-1421214593-15.gif

Edited by ADAMANTIUM