• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do you see the hobby in 25 years
4 4

409 posts in this topic

On 6/11/2020 at 2:11 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

What does that have to do with collectibles?

Nobody bought their wedding crashers on dvd thinking it was going to pull in a fortune down the road

:whatthe: It's not. :censored: me.

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Okay

I need to know

What is wrong with Forever People?

I could have bought a 9.8 for something a few hun under FMV

I'm just joshing with you! Nothing wrong with it ! It is the first appearance of Darkseid.....

It's just that the "stars" of the book are some of the lamer Kirby characters is all....

1 hour ago, vheflin said:

In 25 years, slabs will be wifi enabled with LCD screens in place of labels.

(surround sound optional)

Yup.

Also, brain activity in olfactory areas will be artificially stimulated by a subliminal signal from the screen, creating an authentic newsprint odour, and overcoming the problem that we currently have of being deprived of this pleasing, nostalgic sensation when an old comic book is encased in plastic.

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:
1 hour ago, kav said:

In 25 years all Hollywood's books will have jumped 100 times in value.

I hope so

Sounds as though the two of you are only thinking about the first half of the equation here when the movie is first announced.  :gossip:

You forgot the second half of the equation where all of the Hollywood books generally tends to fall by 90% AFTER the movie comes out.  doh!  :tonofbricks:

5 hours ago, NoMan said:
6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Unfortunately for us comic book collectors here, when it comes to the real serious money, the Chinese have a long and storied history of always going after real estate and property.  :gossip:

Although there are some starting to ventured into fine wines and more artistic wants, do you really believe there are that many AF 15's being shipped over to China, where the real money is?  hm  (shrug)

I do believe this as I have many friends at the post office that routinely tell me of packages going to China.

While it's true that the Chinese do spend serious money on real estate and fine wines, many have begun collecting AF15s as Spiderman is the #1 hero there.

Reminds me of the early 90's when the younger new generation of Oriental collectors in this city really had the hots for the latest Valiant and Image books being hyped by Wizard and were chasing after them like no there was no tomorrow.  :whee:  :takeit:   

Definitely not so much for the more expensive vintage SA and GA books though, or even the BA books for that matter.  They figured all of those kind of books were for the old timers or nearly deads and would have only declining value in the future as more and more of them go to that big old comic shop in the sky.  :p  doh!

If you haven't looked into those packages going to China, my bet is that they are most probably CGC 9.8 graded copies of the latest hot book or variant that just arrived at the LCS's the previous week.  If they were actually copies of AF 15's, they would most likely be shipped via TNT or DHL (and not the regular post office) which seems to be the courier of choice for most residents of China.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

33 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Sounds as though the two of you are only thinking about the first half of the equation here when the movie is first announced.  :gossip:

You forgot the second half of the equation where all of the Hollywood books generally tends to fall by 90% AFTER the movie comes out.  doh!  :tonofbricks:

Hollywood the boardie

4 minutes ago, Comics4All said:

He can do what he wants! 

He just better watch himself tho. :preach:

On 6/12/2020 at 7:12 PM, Myowncollector said:
On 6/12/2020 at 6:49 PM, thehumantorch said:

The forum isn't dead.

Just my observation. How it seems to me. All depends on ones view point and definition of word dead. Of course I been popping in every day so not much is new to me. If you would take a peek at some threads even just a few years back I don't see many of those around.

I could also say it is fairly active but a nice chunk of that activity comes from the same dozen or so folks. 

Well, I would say it's all pretty much relative, but if you compare it to the good old days of yesteryear, yeah it's pretty much dead.  :(

I still remember the first few years after I first joined up and this place was rocking and rolling with tons of action and new posts every few minutes from different boardies.  I still remember they used to have a real time counter for the number of active unique users on the boards and it would hit triple digits at times.  My bet is that you would be lucky to have 10 unique users on the boards nowadays at non-peak hours, as clearly evident by the fact that entire forums can go for hours on end without a new post being added.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:   zzz

Definitely like Grand Central Station during rush hour back then and much more like an almost empty airport terminal during a pandemic lockdown nowadays.  :(

50 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I would say it's all pretty much relative, but if you compare it to the good old days of yesteryear, yeah it's pretty much dead.  :(

I still remember the first few years after I first joined up and this place was rocking and rolling with tons of action and new posts every few minutes from different boardies.  I still remember they used to have a real time counter for the number of active unique users on the boards and it would hit triple digits at times.  My bet is that you would be lucky to have 10 unique users on the boards nowadays at non-peak hours, as clearly evident by the fact that entire forums can go for hours on end without a new post being added.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:   zzz

Definitely like Grand Central Station during rush hour back then and much more like an almost empty airport terminal during a pandemic lockdown nowadays.  :(

In my opinion moderation has simply cracked down too hard and some of the life has gone out of the forum.  This makes for a less interesting atmsophere overall.  The things you can get a strike for nowadays is a bit mind boggling.
@Buzzetta

Edited by kav

37 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I would say it's all pretty much relative, but if you compare it to the good old days of yesteryear, yeah it's pretty much dead. 

I was looking at a thread that was old, but not that old 2012 2014 or so and good information, went through 20 pages of it. Only 2 member names that I recognized. Look at a 2017 2018 one and majority of people I never seen. Late night early morning threads will have last post 5 hours ago, 9 hours. Nobody on the west coast. No night owls. Its fairly active it seems, but if I could pick 10 members to join me and not come on here for a week, it will show how active it is here. Seems like half the time the last post was either made by kav, Hollywood, or lildoom. For the sake of the forum those 3 should never fly on the same plane. 

Kav would be in my spot as well if I never jumped in. So 3 threads in general all kav. 2 in modern doom. And both will be in the 5 latest post of a thread at any given time. New mission, see how many captures I can get of the big 3 dominating the forum. 

Screenshot_20200619-015236_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6223e7e1b1c5b99593f8f1269c999a24.jpg

Edited by Myowncollector
Autocorrect