• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where do you see the hobby in 25 years
4 4

409 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I personally think comics will be the same in 25 years as they are today. I've been collecting for over 40 years and I remember this same discussion with my friends 30 years ago. So I think yeah eventually the high end books have to hit a ceiling (AF15, Action 1 etc.) But I dont think we are there yet.

Well

I'm planning on saving as much as I can for 3 yrs then buying AF 15 between 3.0-5.0 preferably 5.0

I've done pretty good with some of my purchases lately 

20200601_210109.jpg

Edited by Hollywood1892

2 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

What I see from all those books are you were in the zone on a low grade AF15 . I personally would have bought the AF15 first , then these books where they are easily available. 

I've been thinking about that now tbh...working my way forward instead of backwards, but it's okay I have a nice little collection to keep me going because I won't be buying for awhile.

Edited by Hollywood1892

On 6/11/2020 at 9:57 AM, october said:

This question has come up every year since the board started and I've heard every variation of the demographic, financial, cultural and generational arguments both pro and con.

The answer is: nobody has a #$@%&@ clue where the market will be in two years, let alone twenty five. NO. CLUE.

This +1000

On 6/19/2020 at 2:36 PM, Hamlet said:

I think the lack of movement often reflects unrealistic price expectations more than anything else.  If people put things into auctions, they sell, and they sell for what look like pretty decent prices to me most of the time.

On 6/20/2020 at 6:22 AM, World Devourer said:

Yes, overpricing is also a factor.

Perish the thought..........are you guys really trying to say that over overpricing takes place on eBay.  (tsk)

Haven't really seen it myself, although I was noticing that Heritage just auctioned off a large number of CGC graded copies of Famous Funnies in the graded in the 9's for something like $100 to $150 a pop, and then came across this very tempting listing on eBay here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Famous-Funnies-81-Eastern-Color-April-1941-CGC-5-5-Off-White-to-White-Pages/254446520492?hash=item3b3e31c8ac:g:jzwAAOSwBxdd1FDC

s-l1600.jpgLooks like this enticing copy here can be yours for the bargain basement price of only $4,800 smackers as compared to its condition guide value of $93.  Thinking seriously of hitting the BIN button right now before some other hungry bidder spots it and snaps this little beauty right out of my hands.  :whee:  :takeit:   :screwy:

22 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Perish the thought..........are you guys really trying to say that over overpricing takes place on eBay.  (tsk)

Haven't really seen it myself, although I was noticing that Heritage just auctioned off a large number of CGC graded copies of Famous Funnies in the graded in the 9's for something like $100 to $150 a pop, and then came across this very tempting listing on eBay here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Famous-Funnies-81-Eastern-Color-April-1941-CGC-5-5-Off-White-to-White-Pages/254446520492?hash=item3b3e31c8ac:g:jzwAAOSwBxdd1FDC

Looks like this enticing copy here can be yours for the bargain basement price of only $4,800 smackers as compared to its condition guide value of $93.  Thinking seriously of hitting the BIN button right now before some other hungry bidder spots it and snaps this little beauty right out of my hands.  :whee:  :takeit:   :screwy:

This is the 1st app. of Invisible Scarlet O'Neill so it's a bit heftier than the average FamFun.  A (much better-looking 5.5) sold at auction in 2018 for $660.  Still... seems a tad unlikely it's shot up 800% in the past 2 years... hm

8 hours ago, Bookery said:

This is the 1st app. of Invisible Scarlet O'Neill so it's a bit heftier than the average FamFun.  A (much better-looking 5.5) sold at auction in 2018 for $660.  Still... seems a tad unlikely it's shot up 800% in the past 2 years... hm

Well, if it's first appearances that turns your crank, then I would have much rather gone for this much higher graded File Copy of Famous Funnies #191 here:

lf?set=path%5B2%2F2%2F4%2F9%2F3%2F22493180%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Sold last night for only $600 (or a fractional 1/8 of what's beeing asked for the ebay copy of FF 81) and featuring the first appearance of Barney Carr, Space Detective with what I feel is an absolutely gorgeous and far superior looking cover as compared to the Famous Funnies 81 asking for $4,800.  :luhv:  

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/20/2020 at 4:17 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, the way to resolve this problem is simply to eliminate the BIN "not so auction" like format whereby hopeful consignors are putting books on eBay at stratospheric prices hoping to snag some sucker who doesn't know anything at all.  If these consignors had theactual  balls to put all of their books into a true open auction format, they would have no problem having a 100% sell though on their books, but most likely at a much more realistic market price which is probably at a huge discount of what they was hoping for.  hm  :cry:

I’m fine with sellers charging whatever they want.  I’m just saying that the lack of buyers at their silly asking prices isn’t an indication that the market for anything is dying.  There are plenty of people willing to buy a huge variety of vintage comics at more realistic prices.  Almost everything I am interested in sells at higher prices than I am willing to pay when it goes to auction.  

Sellers looking to get top dollar ( or more )  will need a lot of patience.

7 hours ago, JazzMan said:

25 years from now, if I'm still alive, I'll still be kicking myself for not picking up these books at these prices back in 1982.

pic4.thumb.jpeg.9cf2a527b9cfa341c6d0991e7a7961a2.jpeg

Why would anyone buy Hulk #181 for $35 when they could spend that same $35 and get 7 copies of Star Wars #17 (the one where Luke mentions that he wants to buy some binoculars)? (shrug)

On 6/25/2020 at 11:43 AM, valiantman said:

Why would anyone buy Hulk #181 for $35 when they could spend that same $35 and get 7 copies of Star Wars #17 (the one where Luke mentions that he wants to buy some binoculars)? (shrug)

Hmmm...X-Men #94 a mere $70. Affordable even by early 80's standards. And there are discounts for multiple purchases. 

Begins building time machine...

On 6/24/2020 at 12:06 PM, JazzMan said:

25 years from now, if I'm still alive, I'll still be kicking myself for not picking up these books at these prices back in 1982.

pic4.thumb.jpeg.9cf2a527b9cfa341c6d0991e7a7961a2.jpeg

That was lot money back then.  I'm trying to remember what my allowance would have been back in the summer of '82.  It would another three or four years before I had my paper route.

1 hour ago, piper said:

That was lot money back then.  I'm trying to remember what my allowance would have been back in the summer of '82.  It would another three or four years before I had my paper route.

For me, I made about a quarter a week until I got my grass cutting job which bumped me up to $5.00. So I'd have to save 7 weeks to get a IH 181

4 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

For me, I made about a quarter a week until I got my grass cutting job which bumped me up to $5.00. So I'd have to save 7 weeks to get a IH 181

do it