• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the highest grade a book with a Subscription Crease has gotten?

15 posts in this topic

I am curious if it's an automatic grade deduction and if so, what? Is it automatically no better than a 3.0 if the sub crease runs the whole length of the book and breaks color?

I looked for this thread elsewhere and didn't see anything about it so if I missed it, please point me in the right direction. Thanks for reading and for any responses.

Edited by Bill Robinson

2 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

very faint subscription crease

2 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

That came back a 7.0.

Thanks. That’s the highest I’ve heard also. The highest grade Overstreet specifically mentions “book length crease” is 3.0. Not that I’m complaining. 

FYI' the overstreet guide referrs to a lengthwise colour break crease, as it's the examples shown. The CGC books that came back higher were non colour breaking. So they arent really at odds with eachother.

It all depends on the kind of crease. If its colour breaking and the entire length, expect somewhere in the 4.0 range.

This is the story and maybe I should have provided more details. 

I've had this comic for 20 years or so and submitted it 10+ years ago. I thought it was a VF and it came back a 6.5. 

My buddy who owns comic shop wanted to see it. He was shocked it was a 6.5 and we pulled up the graders notes which revealed the subscription crease.  In all the years I owned it,  graded and ungraded, I never detected it. After reading the notes we looked over the cover with a flashlight and sure enough,  we found it. 

My buddy suggested we get it pressed and resubmitted. We did and it improved to a 7.0 but now I can't even see the crease. The notes only refer to "light creasing to cover". 

The old note described a light crease the length of the cover I believe. 

Sorry for not providing more details. 

Incredible Hulk 181 11/74 Marvel Comics

Grader Notes:
light creasing to cover
light spine stress lines breaks color
light staining to cover

light wear all corners breaks color

20200611_121949.jpg

20200611_122327.jpg

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:

FYI' the overstreet guide referrs to a lengthwise colour break crease, as it's the examples shown. The CGC books that came back higher were non colour breaking. So they arent really at odds with eachother.

It all depends on the kind of crease. If its colour breaking and the entire length, expect somewhere in the 4.0 range.

A lot depends on how nice the rest of the book is...  :juggle: 

I think it was posted on Instagram, but someone had copies of Marvel Spotlight 5 and some other key book from that time period that were still in their mailers, folded. I wonder what those books would grade. Probably worth more in the mailers. But to my knowledge, they had opened them up. 

12 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

I have a 5.5 The crease blends in pretty decent but breaks color the entire way front and back cover. Rest of book is nicer but not by a lot. 

That sounds very typical for a subscription crease. The "standard" grade used to be 5.0 and you worked your way up or down from there...