• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is going on here?
2 2

26 posts in this topic

I recently won this comic from an auction and framed it in my favorite ‘museum’ frame that protects from UV light.  However, when viewed at an angle, I noticed massive distortion to the plastic sleeve holding the comic.

What is happening here?  What causes this?  I presume CGC will redo if I pay to ‘reholder’ it? 

I hope this doesn’t happen to more of my books!

Thanks!

68DD4B49-C004-4C1D-9300-C15A1774CB88.jpeg

1 minute ago, Schmakt said:

I don't *know* at all, but that looks like a heat problem to me... I don't have the setup that you do, but I feel like I've seen similar "rolls" in some of the older holders.  I just always assumed it was a result of them sitting in a car or something. :-/

That makes sense, and I wouldn't "know" either lol

I was hesitant to answer for that reason too, but I would at least second the notion that its probably not the book and the cause would be heat....

:tink:

I’ve seen similar things to boarded and bagged books where the plastic gets warped or wrinkled over time.  Maybe it’s inevitable with all plastics?

Regardless, I presume CGC will fix this as part of a ‘reholder’ service?

4 minutes ago, XxSpideyxX said:

I’ve seen similar things to boarded and bagged books where the plastic gets warped or wrinkled over time.  Maybe it’s inevitable with all plastics?

Regardless, I presume CGC will fix this as part of a ‘reholder’ service?

Yes they would, it's a payable service.

I welcome you to try emailing bcmcmanus@cgccomics.com

But I'll go on record that they may not do it for "free" due to cause could be improper storage or some such but lol

It's not up to me, I just wanted to give fair warning eek  :eek:

but it's worth a shot idk

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes they would, it's a payable service.

I welcome you to try emailing bcmcmanus@cgccomics.com

But I'll go on record that they may not do it for "free" due to cause could be improper storage or some such but lol

It's not up to me, I just wanted to give fair warning eek  :eek:

but it's worth a shot idk

Oh, thank you!  

Some of my older label CGC books have a slight ripple like that.  Just send it in for a $15 reholder.  These cases and plastic sleeves aren't meant to stay in perfect condition for our lives.  I don't remember what exact number it is but I think CGC even recommends replacing the case every 7 years...don't quote me on that.  It may be a marketing ploy but I can see the reality of degradation over time especially with the wide range of customers in different temperatures and humidity.  

50 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:
55 minutes ago, Avi said:

You sure those are razor clams? Never seen them so wide!

Those look like Pacific Razor Clams. 

Right - they are Pacific Razor Clams - Avi is probably visualizing Atlantic Razor Clams

clams-01.jpg

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Right - they are Pacific Razor Clams - Avi is probably visualizing Atlantic Razor Clams

clams-01.jpg

I live in CA and have never had a pacific razor clam =(  I think I need to prioritize some life goals.

1 hour ago, Avi said:

I live in CA and have never had a pacific razor clam =(  I think I need to prioritize some life goals.

Go for the Geoduck

#Clamtalk2020

Edited by Jeffro.