• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Staff vs Google Search

14 posts in this topic

I was looking through HA next auction and there was two pieces where HA could not tell where they were published.

One right-click, search Image with google on the image and ... bam !

First piece (for TSR fans) 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/karl-walker-fantasy-art-32-illustration-original-art-c-1980s-/a/122024-15666.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

https://oldschoolfrp.tumblr.com/post/174604852105/darktentacles-dweller-in-undermountain-karl

Second piece (for Dark Age: Feudal Lords CCG fans) :

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/dave-dorman-blinded-woman-painting-original-art-c-1996-/a/122024-15509.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

https://darkageccg.wordpress.com/author/darkyeoman/

Edited by Mycroft

Well, for what it's worth, and as a reply from one frog to another frog, I want to say that you put the finger on the eternal collision course with, at one side, the sharped skills of the collector, and, on the other side, the result of the everyday job of an employee.

I'm pretty sure there are many, many members here, of this forum, that could upgrade substantially the description of Heritage auctions entries...

It's not necessarily they are not good, just they can't compete sometimes with somebody who is "hungry"... And we are many, many around here who are hungry...

One year and half ago, I spotted on a BWS Rune original page from one of their auction a printed art correction taped into the page they didn't saw. I saw it and just did my homework : searching the proof. I found it on BWS website old entries (of sold items), where the same page was sold initially : the mention of the printed art correction taped into it. How they missed (or why didn't they mentioned) what was obvious to me, even if I hadn't the original just in front of me, still puzzle me. I sent them a mail and the listing was rectified just two days after.

I don't know if it was been done already here, but maybe a recurrent topic dedicated to the mistakes we see sometimes would be a nice thing to read here ! (mistake + proof of mistake) :-)

rune.jpg

Edited by Ecclectica
grammar...

With these things I always try to keep in mind the volume of items they handle on a weekly basis.  When you think of it in those terms, it's not too surprising that they come up short on the description of some items.

BUT, in these cases I'm always left wondering whether the consignor has any idea of all about what they have.  Is it a situation where they've given the information to Heritage, but Heritage didn't include it with the listing, or does the current owner have no idea what the item is and just sent it off to be auctioned?  

Edited by ShallowDan
correcting typo

I find their descriptions generally strike a nice balance between too vague and too flowery.

They don't knock themselves out for intimate background information, I suppose there is too much to do, but  they are responsive to corrections or additions to the description.

As a consignor, you may want to research your submission as thoroughly as you can to help them.  I once deciphered a frontisplate author's dedication which may have helped my auction result.

As a buyer, you may benefit from additional diligence as has been noted.

It is surprising that details remain hidden on comics information after all these years of research!

That right-click image search is a beautiful thing.

Best, David S. Albright

I have never sent a consignment to any auction company, but I assumed you generally wrote a reasonable description to go along with each submission. Is that not the case? I assume this still requires work for them to verify what you are saying is true. 

35 minutes ago, cstojano said:

I have never sent a consignment to any auction company, but I assumed you generally wrote a reasonable description to go along with each submission. Is that not the case? I assume this still requires work for them to verify what you are saying is true. 

My experience has been...

Establish a contact person in your field through email with an image and brief description to determine if they are interested.

They may want to pump you for your better pieces, if you have them, so prepare your decision beforehand.

Send the piece(s) however they recommend.

Low end weekly auction consignments might be accepted through regular mail, but high end is different.

Stay in touch with your contact person.

Watch and enjoy the live auction!

David

14 minutes ago, aokartman said:

They may want to pump you for your better pieces, if you have them, so prepare your decision beforehand.

Interesting...   I never would've thought about that, but I suppose it does make sense from their perspective. 

Thanks for sharing you experience.  I've always been curious about the process.

2 hours ago, cstojano said:

nope, I just send them the piece.

I do check the write-up and recommend revisions if required.

Malvin

It's a volume business.

Here's one I noticed while watching the live auction a couple weeks back, titled "Al McWilliams Daily Comic Strip Original Art Group of 3"

2 of the 3 pieces are by Al Williamson only 1 is by Al McWilliams

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/comic-strip-art/al-mcwilliams-daily-comic-strip-original-art-group-of-3-various-publishers-1962-73-total-3-original-art-/a/122021-17622.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Edited by Will_K

7 minutes ago, Will_K said:

It's a volume business.

Here's one I noticed while watching the live auction a couple weeks back, titled "Al McWilliams Daily Comic Strip Original Art Group of 3"

2 of the 3 pieces are by Al Williamson only 1 is by Al McWilliams

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/comic-strip-art/al-mcwilliams-daily-comic-strip-original-art-group-of-3-various-publishers-1962-73-total-3-original-art-/a/122021-17622.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

That's a mistake.  Unfortunate.

I'm guessing the buyer knew what they were getting, though, with that result.  $840.00.

Looking to see about my McWilliamson strips in my collection!

Best, David S. Albright

14 hours ago, Bronty said:

I think they do a great job overall.   Nobody can get it perfect every time, but between their own descriptions and research and the collectors and consignors suggesting revisions, its all pretty smooth in the end.

All I can say is look at the descriptions in their competitors' listings.

Oh wait, there aren't any!*

*With the exception of descriptions in a few mega-items in CC's auctions.

Edited by tth2

9 hours ago, tth2 said:

All I can say is look at the descriptions in their competitors' listings.

Oh wait, there aren't any!*

*With the exception of descriptions in a few mega-items in CC's auctions.

Right. Is it so hard to copy a few stock descriptions when you know what something is?

This goes a long way:

"Rendered in ink over graphite on Marvel cover stock Bristol board with an image size of 10" x 15.25"."